Best system ever!!! Or is it?

G

I recently purchased a Shuttle SV24.

Specs

SV24 (On Board Sound, Lan, & video, although I have disabled the video)
PIII 1.0
Maxtor 20 GB 7200 RPM
AOpen CDrom
256 MB pc133 ram
AOpen GeForce 2 MX 400 PCI card

I have to say that this is one of the coolest looking systems ever, and it's amazingly light. So freakin small, I love it, but there are some issues.

Here's the deal, everything worked great, amazingly everything was recognized on XP, I thought that was cool, but I also updated certain drivers (such as the detonator drivers.)

So everything is running great and I start to run 3dmark because I want to see how it'll run games and I crash instantly. I realized right away that this is from heat and so I shut down a while and then rebooted and underclocked my geforce card. I then ran 3d mark and got ok scores I thought (for a pci card) were pretty good. 2200 @ 1024/768/32bit and 3000 @ 800/600/32bit. I ran it about 6 times and on the 6th one, crash. Too much heat.

Anyone out there that knows this case? There's very little room to mod the case much or add extra fans, and I need to keep it looking as good as it does now. The comp is for the wife and looks = very important.

Thanks in advance for the help.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dan_rather on 02/15/02 10:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

The Shuttle SV24 is a bare bones sytem, case & mobo. SO Shuttle SV24 would be the answer to your question, in fact the was an article here recently although it didn't answer my questions.

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
If you are really adventurous, maybe you could do a mod on the case to allow for another fan blowing air out?

Here are a couple of links where you can see some pictures of the type of mod I was thinking of. From what I understand, you can buy mod kits to do that stuff - in particular to cut a hole in the case and then add a fancy looking grill to the hole that makes the case look even cooler (or a simple looking grill that is just functional). You then would put a fan inside the case to blow air in or out... The basic concept would be to get airflow increased through the case to get rid of that heat.

http://bigfootcomputers.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000053

http://bigfootcomputers.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000057

Naturally this assumes that you have already invested in a high quality hsf and properly installed that on your cpu - and that you have installed other case fans if the case allows for it by it's design

G

I see where you're going, but there is almost no space left in the case. I don't know if I could fit any fans in. Good info though, it's somthing I've been looking into.

Thanks

G

I have at home some hard drive fans that are real small. I'm thinking if I can rip those apart, they would really help and I might be able to fit them in the case. Put a few holes on the sides and hook those suckers up and hopefully, we have a noticable difference.

I'll try and let you know, unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to try this till the end of the weekend.

I'll try and let you know what happens

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Wow - thats quite some small system. I must have missed the review. I found it over at anandtech. Cool stuff/

oops - I didn't see the post by Tiberius
<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jlanka on 02/15/02 03:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
The simplest test to see 'how bad' your heat problem is would be to first try running the computer with the case off. If that lets it run stable, then you know it's a heat issue that is 'minor'. If it still has issues with the case off (God help you!)... try using a house fan to blow into the computer and see if it can run like that (it should be PLENTY cool that way).

Basically, if it runs fine with the case off, putting in another fan to blow air out might do the trick.

If it needs a house fan blowing air over it with the case off... that is a serious heat issue... and I would focus first on getting a better heat sink and fan - and use Arctic Silver thermal compound when mounting the hsf.

G

I've tried it last night without the case cover, and it worked pretty stable, but it got late before I could run too long.

G

What is the normal temperature of a motherboard and the processor before it crashes??

G

One option I've seen mentioned is to use one of the VIA C3 CPUs, since they run very cool and can operate fine with a fanless heat sink if necessary. Performance is lower than for similarly clocked Intel processors, but not tragically so.

After looking at the case it seems the only option you have for cooling would be to replace the power supply fan and rear exhaust fans with higher volume fans. Take out the low volume fans and replace them with some higher volume fans. It also appears that the powersupply is blowing its heat into the system instead of out.

I aint signing nothing!!!