Starting a voice conversation

Can anyone help. Texting is fine but I cannot connect for
voice conversation. I am using a P4 and a new router/modem
on ADSL @ 256k. My head set works Ok as I can record and
playback. I have tried with a number fo contacts withou
success. Thanks for anyadvice

"Billrv" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Can anyone help. Texting is fine but I cannot connect for
> voice conversation. I am using a P4 and a new router/modem
> on ADSL @ 256k. My head set works Ok as I can record and
> playback. I have tried with a number fo contacts withou
> success. Thanks for anyadvice

If you use a gateway NAT non UPnP you will have problems with audio and/or
video but not messaging.

Take a look at this, maybe it is your case.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/worki01.mspx

MSN Messenger 6.2 audio/video requirements:

1. The modem/router must be UPnP compatible.

2. On the Network Connections, the Properties tab should show a check mark
only on Client for Microsoft Network, and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). No
check on File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, nor on QoS Packet
Scheduler.

3. The Windows Firewall should be ON (recommended) and no check in Don’t
allow exceptions . The Exceptions tab will later show the MSN Messenger 6.2
and UPnP Framework as being active.

4. In the Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > Add Remove Windows
Components, scroll to Networking Services and remove all checks, except for
Internet Gateway Device Discovery, and for UPnP User Interface. Click Ok,
Next and the Windows Wizard Component will run. Click Finish.

5. Sign in on Messenger and run Audio/Video Tuning Wizard. In the Tools >
Options > Connection tab, you should read “You are connected to the
Internet through a UPnP symmetric NAT. (Administrator). If you now check the
Windows Firewall Exceptions list, the MSN Messenger 6.2 and UPnP Framework
have a check mark.

6. Both sides should have similar setups with working webcam and microphone.

Hope this will help.