Help Needed: USB External Hard Drive

Last response: in Computer Brands
September 6, 2005 3:35:01 PM

I recently purchased a Western Digital Essential 80 Gigabytes external USB hard
drive. It runs fine on my husband's Dell Dimension 4550 under Windows XP Home
Edition. However, I have not been able to install it on my Dimension XPS R450
running under Windows 98 Second Edition. I have downloaded the Windows 98
Driver from Western Digital's web site and installed the driver following their
directions. Windows 98 recognizes the external hard drive but not the driver
and claims driver not found. Does anyone know how to get this drive up and
running? Tech support at Western Digital has been useless.

Shayne
September 6, 2005 7:56:20 PM

one other guess is that the drive was formatted using ntfs and windows 98 is
fat32

fat32 cannot access a ntfs format
<shayne@cyburban.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a Western Digital Essential 80 Gigabytes external USB
>hard
> drive. It runs fine on my husband's Dell Dimension 4550 under Windows XP
> Edition. However, I have not been able to install it on my Dimension XPS
> R450
> running under Windows 98 Second Edition. I have downloaded the Windows 98
> Driver from Western Digital's web site and installed the driver following
> their
> directions. Windows 98 recognizes the external hard drive but not the
> driver
> and claims driver not found. Does anyone know how to get this drive up
> and
> running? Tech support at Western Digital has been useless.
>
> Shayne
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 10:13:49 PM

> I recently purchased a Western Digital Essential 80 Gigabytes external USB hard
> drive. It runs fine on my husband's Dell Dimension 4550 under Windows XP Home
> Edition. However, I have not been able to install it on my Dimension XPS R450
> running under Windows 98 Second Edition.

Clutching at straws here, but I had to use a bootloader to handle an
80Gb drive I have in my system.

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****

<shayne@cyburban.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a Western Digital Essential 80 Gigabytes external USB
>hard
> drive. It runs fine on my husband's Dell Dimension 4550 under Windows XP
> Edition. However, I have not been able to install it on my Dimension XPS
> R450
> running under Windows 98 Second Edition. I have downloaded the Windows 98
> Driver from Western Digital's web site and installed the driver following
> their
> directions. Windows 98 recognizes the external hard drive but not the
> driver
> and claims driver not found. Does anyone know how to get this drive up
> and
> running? Tech support at Western Digital has been useless.
>
> Shayne

I don't have an idea, other than perhaps that drive is too large for the
R450. Many machines of that era had limits.

That said, it also has USB1.1 ports, which means the drive will work
PAINFULLY slowly.

Tom
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 12:13:17 AM

Good call. I'll bet that's it.
"BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> one other guess is that the drive was formatted using ntfs and windows 98
> is fat32
>
> fat32 cannot access a ntfs format
> <shayne@cyburban.com> wrote in message
>>I recently purchased a Western Digital Essential 80 Gigabytes external USB
>>hard
>> drive. It runs fine on my husband's Dell Dimension 4550 under Windows XP
>> Edition. However, I have not been able to install it on my Dimension XPS
>> R450
>> running under Windows 98 Second Edition. I have downloaded the Windows
>> 98
>> Driver from Western Digital's web site and installed the driver following
>> their
>> directions. Windows 98 recognizes the external hard drive but not the
>> driver
>> and claims driver not found. Does anyone know how to get this drive up
>> and
>> running? Tech support at Western Digital has been useless.
>>
>> Shayne

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 2:13:54 AM

> Clutching at straws here, but I had to use a bootloader to handle an
> 80Gb drive I have in my system.

I think I was using Fujitsu DiskGo (the version I had worked with any
drive, it wasn`t restricted to Fujitsu drives only) - it should still be
available online somewhere with a quick google.

Failing that, if it is that the drive was NTFS formatted, you might be
able to work around that temporarily by using one of the free apps at
http://www.sysinternals.com

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 5:10:37 AM

Simple as that: Win98 NEEDS drivers for external HDDs such as an
USB-harddisk. This shuld have been written on the package and there should
be a driver cd enclosed or on the website..

cheers
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 5:10:38 AM

"Kevin Rengo" <k.rengo@europe.com> wrote in message
> Simple as that: Win98 NEEDS drivers for external HDDs such as an
> USB-harddisk. This shuld have been written on the package and there should
> be a driver cd enclosed or on the website..
>
> cheers

And many only support Win98SE
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 5:10:38 AM

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 01:10:37 +0200, "Kevin Rengo" <k.rengo@europe.com> wrote:

>Simple as that: Win98 NEEDS drivers for external HDDs such as an
>USB-harddisk. This shuld have been written on the package and there should
>be a driver cd enclosed or on the website..

I downloaded and installed the suposedly correct driver from the manufacturers
website. Windows hardware wizard refuses to recognize it and insists "driver
not found".
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 4:21:37 PM

<shayne@cyburban.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 01:10:37 +0200, "Kevin Rengo" <k.rengo@europe.com>
> wrote:

> I downloaded and installed the suposedly correct driver from the
> manufacturers
> website. Windows hardware wizard refuses to recognize it and insists
> "driver
> not found".

Oh kay. that seems sumething difficult: tell me what brand and name is the
USB-HDD. What exactly does the driver do? Is it installing or just some file
u need to direct Windows to? No worry we get that working!
!