Help Needed: USB External Hard Drive

I recently purchased a Western Digital Essential 80 Gigabytes external USB hard
drive. It runs fine on my husband's Dell Dimension 4550 under Windows XP Home
Edition. However, I have not been able to install it on my Dimension XPS R450
running under Windows 98 Second Edition. I have downloaded the Windows 98
Driver from Western Digital's web site and installed the driver following their
directions. Windows 98 recognizes the external hard drive but not the driver
and claims driver not found. Does anyone know how to get this drive up and
running? Tech support at Western Digital has been useless.

Shayne
9 answers Last reply
More about help needed external hard drive

    one other guess is that the drive was formatted using ntfs and windows 98 is
    fat32

    fat32 cannot access a ntfs format
    <shayne@cyburban.com> wrote in message
    >I recently purchased a Western Digital Essential 80 Gigabytes external USB
    >hard
    > drive. It runs fine on my husband's Dell Dimension 4550 under Windows XP
    > Edition. However, I have not been able to install it on my Dimension XPS
    > R450
    > running under Windows 98 Second Edition. I have downloaded the Windows 98
    > Driver from Western Digital's web site and installed the driver following
    > their
    > directions. Windows 98 recognizes the external hard drive but not the
    > driver
    > and claims driver not found. Does anyone know how to get this drive up
    > and
    > running? Tech support at Western Digital has been useless.
    >
    > Shayne

    > I recently purchased a Western Digital Essential 80 Gigabytes external USB hard
    > drive. It runs fine on my husband's Dell Dimension 4550 under Windows XP Home
    > Edition. However, I have not been able to install it on my Dimension XPS R450
    > running under Windows 98 Second Edition.

    Clutching at straws here, but I had to use a bootloader to handle an
    80Gb drive I have in my system.

    --
    Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
    **** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****

    <shayne@cyburban.com> wrote in message
    >I recently purchased a Western Digital Essential 80 Gigabytes external USB
    >hard
    > drive. It runs fine on my husband's Dell Dimension 4550 under Windows XP
    > Edition. However, I have not been able to install it on my Dimension XPS
    > R450
    > running under Windows 98 Second Edition. I have downloaded the Windows 98
    > Driver from Western Digital's web site and installed the driver following
    > their
    > directions. Windows 98 recognizes the external hard drive but not the
    > driver
    > and claims driver not found. Does anyone know how to get this drive up
    > and
    > running? Tech support at Western Digital has been useless.
    >
    > Shayne

    I don't have an idea, other than perhaps that drive is too large for the
    R450. Many machines of that era had limits.

    That said, it also has USB1.1 ports, which means the drive will work
    PAINFULLY slowly.

    Tom

    Good call. I'll bet that's it.
    "BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > one other guess is that the drive was formatted using ntfs and windows 98
    > is fat32
    >
    > fat32 cannot access a ntfs format
    > <shayne@cyburban.com> wrote in message
    >>I recently purchased a Western Digital Essential 80 Gigabytes external USB
    >>hard
    >> drive. It runs fine on my husband's Dell Dimension 4550 under Windows XP
    >> Edition. However, I have not been able to install it on my Dimension XPS
    >> R450
    >> running under Windows 98 Second Edition. I have downloaded the Windows
    >> 98
    >> Driver from Western Digital's web site and installed the driver following
    >> their
    >> directions. Windows 98 recognizes the external hard drive but not the
    >> driver
    >> and claims driver not found. Does anyone know how to get this drive up
    >> and
    >> running? Tech support at Western Digital has been useless.
    >>
    >> Shayne

    > Clutching at straws here, but I had to use a bootloader to handle an
    > 80Gb drive I have in my system.

    I think I was using Fujitsu DiskGo (the version I had worked with any
    drive, it wasn`t restricted to Fujitsu drives only) - it should still be
    available online somewhere with a quick google.

    Failing that, if it is that the drive was NTFS formatted, you might be
    able to work around that temporarily by using one of the free apps at
    http://www.sysinternals.com

    --
    Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
    **** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****

    Simple as that: Win98 NEEDS drivers for external HDDs such as an
    USB-harddisk. This shuld have been written on the package and there should
    be a driver cd enclosed or on the website..

    cheers

    "Kevin Rengo" <k.rengo@europe.com> wrote in message
    > Simple as that: Win98 NEEDS drivers for external HDDs such as an
    > USB-harddisk. This shuld have been written on the package and there should
    > be a driver cd enclosed or on the website..
    >
    > cheers

    And many only support Win98SE

    On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 01:10:37 +0200, "Kevin Rengo" <k.rengo@europe.com> wrote:

    >Simple as that: Win98 NEEDS drivers for external HDDs such as an
    >USB-harddisk. This shuld have been written on the package and there should
    >be a driver cd enclosed or on the website..

    I downloaded and installed the suposedly correct driver from the manufacturers
    website. Windows hardware wizard refuses to recognize it and insists "driver
    not found".

    <shayne@cyburban.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 01:10:37 +0200, "Kevin Rengo" <k.rengo@europe.com>
    > wrote:

    > I downloaded and installed the suposedly correct driver from the
    > manufacturers
    > website. Windows hardware wizard refuses to recognize it and insists
    > "driver
    > not found".

    Oh kay. that seems sumething difficult: tell me what brand and name is the
    USB-HDD. What exactly does the driver do? Is it installing or just some file
    u need to direct Windows to? No worry we get that working!

Dell Western Digital External Hard Drive Computers