HELP!!! Abit BP6 Problems

G

As I mentioned in the topic, I have an Abit BP6, and I have been very happy with it for around 3 years, until this evening.

I am sure that I am responsible for some of this, because everything was fine until I had to mess with the CPUs. If any of you are not aware, this board is a dual celeron, socket 370 board. I believe it is on the i440bx chipset, and it was made by Abit. I run Windows 2k, and I use a lot of resource dependant apps, like Photoshop, and if not that, then I tend to do a lot of multi-tasking, so the 2 processors really can come in handy.

On the board, I have 2 400mhz Celerons, they are NOT overclocked, and they have been running fine ever since I got them. Not that I think it matters, but I have an ATi All in Wonder Radeon, and 325mb PC100 ram, 2 NICs and a sound blaster live. 2 CD-Rom drives, 1 hdd, and a floppy.

Here's the problem...

I have had a Celeron 500 laying around for quite some
time, so I thought I might try to install it in place of one of my 400s, for a performance increase. The system booted fine, and WCPUID saw everything the way it should be. This was with ONLY the 500 in there.

Then, I shutdown, and popped one of my 400s in there. Power on, nothing. I stare at a black screen. The fans have both come on, and I can hear the hard drive doind stuff, but nothing on the screen. Also, the familiar beep was missing from the boot sequence. I thought, "Oh, ok, I guess the processors have to be the same speed"... so I took the 500 out, and put the other 400 back in there. Power on, black screen. Same thing as when I had one 500, and one 400 in there.

I take one of the 400s out, and try to boot. Everything is fine... I boot and the bios, being particular about everything, says that the processor changed, and I needed to set the new one up. I did, and booted into Windows. WCPUID said 400mhz, everything ran fine.

This is where it loses me...

I then thought, "Ok, maybe I damaged the other socket." I moved the processor over, and I was still able to boot. I have tried every single combination that I can think of, and it always boots, until I stick another processor in there. There is no single processor it rejects, and it seems to be a very willing mobo when there is only one processor. Keep in mind that I have had two running since I built it at least 2 and a half years ago.

I was diging through the BIOS for clues, and I came across "Restore to default setting" and of course I tried that. Still, wouldn't boot with 2 CPUs.

I thought it might be a power fault. You know, maybe the power supply had a bad wire, or just wasn't performing the way it should've been. I took out the 250w that was in there, and put in a 300 I have. Same thing, black screen, I can hear a bit of booting going on in the box, but nothing to show for it.

I guess, to sum up, these are my questions... what can I do to get my 2 processors back, and is it possible to run a 500 and a 400mhz processor on one mobo...

Thanks a lot for any help, tips, or ideas that you can give me... Also, please exscuse the typos :)

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
OK...I don't have an answer (yet) but as clearifacation...each single CPU works independantly in either slot?

The greatest pleasure in life it doing what other poeple tell you you can't do.

G

Yes, all three of the processors work in either slot.

I USED to be able to put both 400s in, andit worked perfectly, now it is giving me trouble

Thanks for at least trying to help... I apreciate it very much