Concensus on Favorite MB Brands

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
OK...I was wondering what brands people prefer in the MB's. I'm personally a non-overclocker, but if you have a favorite OC board through that in as well.
I'm not asking for specific Chipsets or models, just brands (Possibly seperating into AMD / Intel)
My favorite for better or worse is Gigabyte, I prefer them because I work at a small computer business and since we switched to them our RMA when from 3-7 MB's a month to 1 or 0. And I see no performence decrease with them.

Thanks for your time (Ahead of time)

P.S. If this is better served in the Poll Forum, then tell me.

The greatest pleasure in life it doing what other poeple tell you you can't do.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Kanaz on 02/15/02 10:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

wseaton

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
Worst boards I've seen in terms of quality control have been Soyo. Best have been Intel, followed closely by Abit, Asus, and Gigabyte. Gigabytes are a quality product in my experience, but their lack of technical support is an issue that causes me to avoid them.

On every occasion I'm discovering that Mobos with Intel based chipsets are inherently more stable (run within spec)and consistent than VIA, SiS, etc., based boards, which seem to suffer constant revisions. I blame a lot of this on the inherent integration between Intel and Microsoft. However, I'm becoming a very big fan of Asus/Athlon combos.

No motherboard brand I've worked with is suffering the ridiculous MTF rates as Dell's basic corporate Optiplex workstations. Sorry, but I had to throw that in.

Overclocking is for losers that need a life.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Boy, I feel lucky. My Dragon Plus is trouble free. Thank god.

Ditto for my Dragon ultra but it is only about 4 weeks old now. I do have an affinity toward Asus boards but like the Abit offerings also

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I was wondering, since I'm new...I noticed there is a format for reply's...how do you write that into your reply?

P.S. I've never tried the Abit KG7-R, but my local vendar has stacks upon stacks of RMA'd Abits, They work in a pinch for me, but as far as quality control, I've never seen anything worse.

"The greatest pleasure in life it doing what other poeple tell you you can't do."

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Mbetea:
"i'm not an overclocker either, here my favorites in order:
tyan
supermicro
gigabyte"

Do you perfer these in this order for performance, quality, or both? I was undert he impression that supermicro was a server board.

"The greatest pleasure in life it doing what other poeple tell you you can't do."

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
tyan and supermicro, in my experince are pretty equal. they both make rock solid boards. i think tyan might eek out a little on the performance, but not much. supermicro is geared more towards the server market, but some of their boards do make nice workstations. gigabyte seems more based on the hobbyist market. they are coming out with an MPX board, but if i want a server or when i got to build a workstation, i want tyan or supermicro, which i'm debating between two of their boards now: the p3tdde or the tigermpx.

Windows XP cd makes a great coaster :smile:

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
check the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq" target="_new">FAQ</A> to see how to put html and other stuff into your posts

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>