I'm new here, getting more familiar with MSN Messenger,
and like so many packages, it tries very hard to do things for
me.....including things I don't want it to do. I don't want it
starting whenever I boot up in Windows. I don't want its e-mail
system. And I'm having difficulty finding where to disengage
things I don't want.

My real question of the day is, does Messenger have a way
to access using IP addresses?
--
William B. Lurie

In article <#dhQombIFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, billurie@nospam.org
says...
> I'm new here, getting more familiar with MSN Messenger,
> and like so many packages, it tries very hard to do things for
> me.....including things I don't want it to do. I don't want it
> starting whenever I boot up in Windows. I don't want its e-mail
> system. And I'm having difficulty finding where to disengage
> things I don't want.
>
> My real question of the day is, does Messenger have a way
> to access using IP addresses?

You can stop Messenger starting at boot up by going to Tools, Options,
General and then unticking 'Automatically run Messenger when I log on to
Windows'
You can't do anything about the email system as you need a hotmail email
address to use Messenger anyway - just don't use it for your email if
you don't want to. As far as I know, unlike Netmeeting, I don't think
Messenger can connect using ISP addresses.
Hope this helps

D Mazzetti wrote:
> In article <#dhQombIFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, billurie@nospam.org
> says...
>
>>I'm new here, getting more familiar with MSN Messenger,
>>and like so many packages, it tries very hard to do things for
>>me.....including things I don't want it to do. I don't want it
>>starting whenever I boot up in Windows. I don't want its e-mail
>>system. And I'm having difficulty finding where to disengage
>>things I don't want.
>>
>>My real question of the day is, does Messenger have a way
>>to access using IP addresses?
>>

> You can stop Messenger starting at boot up by going to Tools, Options,
> General and then unticking 'Automatically run Messenger when I log on to
> Windows'
> You can't do anything about the email system as you need a hotmail email
> address to use Messenger anyway - just don't use it for your email if
> you don't want to. As far as I know, unlike Netmeeting, I don't think
> Messenger can connect using ISP addresses.
> Hope this helps
Thank you, DM. It seems to be painless to get a 'passport' and so
become available using Messenger. I do expect it to generate a
bunch of extra spam, but we can hancle that, too.

--
William B. Lurie

MSN Messenger and the Windows variant can both transmit webcam images/video,
but only to somebody on your friends list and even then to only one person..
I doubt if this is what you want to achieve, but your biggest problem is
that nobody understands what you are trying to do, or why..

This may be helpful to you..

http://www.webcamsoft.com/en/products.html

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

<billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>D Mazzetti wrote:
>> In article <#dhQombIFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, billurie@nospam.org
>> says...
>>
>>>I'm new here, getting more familiar with MSN Messenger,
>>>and like so many packages, it tries very hard to do things for
>>>me.....including things I don't want it to do. I don't want it
>>>starting whenever I boot up in Windows. I don't want its e-mail
>>>system. And I'm having difficulty finding where to disengage
>>>things I don't want.
>>>
>>>My real question of the day is, does Messenger have a way
>>>to access using IP addresses?
>>>

>> You can stop Messenger starting at boot up by going to Tools, Options,
>> General and then unticking 'Automatically run Messenger when I log on to
>> Windows'
>> You can't do anything about the email system as you need a hotmail email
>> address to use Messenger anyway - just don't use it for your email if you
>> don't want to. As far as I know, unlike Netmeeting, I don't think
>> Messenger can connect using ISP addresses.
>> Hope this helps
> Thank you, DM. It seems to be painless to get a 'passport' and so
> become available using Messenger. I do expect it to generate a
> bunch of extra spam, but we can hancle that, too.
>
> --
> William B. Lurie

Thank you for the information, Mike. Somebody else answered
my question about ISP addresses. You did also, indirectly.
I have friends who have not yet fulfilled the Messenger
registration, so even though I have their ISP addresses,
unlike NetMeeting, I cannot contact them using the ISP address.

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> MSN Messenger and the Windows variant can both transmit webcam images/video,
> but only to somebody on your friends list and even then to only one person..
> I doubt if this is what you want to achieve, but your biggest problem is
> that nobody understands what you are trying to do, or why..
>
> This may be helpful to you..
>
> http://www.webcamsoft.com/en/products.html

Hi,

Actually, MSN Messenger 6+ can "transmit" your Webcam to as many people as you like.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> MSN Messenger and the Windows variant can both transmit webcam images/video, but only to
> somebody on your friends list and even then to only one person.. I doubt if this is what
> you want to achieve, but your biggest problem is that nobody understands what you are
> trying to do, or why..
>
> This may be helpful to you..
>
> http://www.webcamsoft.com/en/products.html
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message news:eG9liYkIFHA.4060@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>D Mazzetti wrote:
>>> In article <#dhQombIFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, billurie@nospam.org says...

>>> You can stop Messenger starting at boot up by going to Tools, Options, General and then
>>> unticking 'Automatically run Messenger when I log on to Windows'
>>> You can't do anything about the email system as you need a hotmail email address to use
>>> Messenger anyway - just don't use it for your email if you don't want to. As far as I
>>> know, unlike Netmeeting, I don't think Messenger can connect using ISP addresses.
>>> Hope this helps
>> Thank you, DM. It seems to be painless to get a 'passport' and so
>> become available using Messenger. I do expect it to generate a
>> bunch of extra spam, but we can hancle that, too.
>>
>> --
>> William B. Lurie

Jonathon

Thanks for that.. older versions would not do that as I remember.. is the
restriction still on using voice if there is more than two in conference?..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Hi,
>
> Actually, MSN Messenger 6+ can "transmit" your Webcam to as many people as
> you like.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> MSN Messenger and the Windows variant can both transmit webcam
>> images/video, but only to somebody on your friends list and even then to
>> only one person.. I doubt if this is what you want to achieve, but your
>> biggest problem is that nobody understands what you are trying to do, or
>> why..
>>
>> This may be helpful to you..
>>
>> http://www.webcamsoft.com/en/products.html
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message

>>> Thank you, DM. It seems to be painless to get a 'passport' and so
>>> become available using Messenger. I do expect it to generate a
>>> bunch of extra spam, but we can hancle that, too.
>>>
>>> --
>>> William B. Lurie

Yep, voice is still one-on-one.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> Jonathon
>
> Thanks for that.. older versions would not do that as I remember.. is the restriction still
> on using voice if there is more than two in conference?..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Actually, MSN Messenger 6+ can "transmit" your Webcam to as many people as you like.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> MSN Messenger and the Windows variant can both transmit webcam images/video, but only to
>>> somebody on your friends list and even then to only one person.. I doubt if this is what
>>> you want to achieve, but your biggest problem is that nobody understands what you are
>>> trying to do, or why..
>>>
>>> This may be helpful to you..
>>>
>>> http://www.webcamsoft.com/en/products.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>>
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Why is it like that?.. has anybody ever asked MS for more?

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Yep, voice is still one-on-one.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Jonathon
>>
>> Thanks for that.. older versions would not do that as I remember.. is the
>> restriction still on using voice if there is more than two in
>> conference?..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Actually, MSN Messenger 6+ can "transmit" your Webcam to as many people
>>> as you like.
>>> Jonathan Kay
>>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
>>> Associate Expert
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
>>> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
>>>
>>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Because to do multiple users, Messenger would have to support multi-point which is actually
quite complicated (and still considered a feature enterprise customers pay extra for).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert