Buying DAoC Account From EBay

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Would anyone know if buying one of the lvl 50 accounts from Ebay risks any
kind of action later by Mythic should they want to make an issue of it?

Also, what would be a fair price to pay for an account with one lvl 50
character. I just don't have the time to get one to 50 but would really
enjoy the jump start of the lvl 20 thing if it applies to all servers.

Which brings me to my last question. Is the lvl 20 jump start only for the
server the lvl 50 is on or does it allow this for any of the servers?

thanks in advance for any replies. skip

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:47:22 GMT, "Cat7" <Cat50@satx.rr.com> wrote:

>Would anyone know if buying one of the lvl 50 accounts from Ebay risks any
>kind of action later by Mythic should they want to make an issue of it?

Probably the worst that would happen regards Mythic is that they would
terminate the account. I would think it very unlikely that Mythic
would take any legal action against you.

By far the biggest risk is losing your money to a scammer. Online game
accounts are great for scammers to pocket your money leaving you
little recourse. Ebay or Paypal will not help you as the goods are
'intangible', and likewise Mythic will not help because you are
breaking the EULA. Scammers make hundreds of thousands of dollars
selling online game accounts on Ebay.

>Also, what would be a fair price to pay for an account with one lvl 50
>character. I just don't have the time to get one to 50 but would really
>enjoy the jump start of the lvl 20 thing if it applies to all servers.

If you must, *which I would not recommend*, pay only what it's worth
to you. Don't pay for extras if you simply want a 50 to make level
20's.

>Which brings me to my last question. Is the lvl 20 jump start only for the
>server the lvl 50 is on or does it allow this for any of the servers?

It allows the creating of level 20 characters on any of the servers
and level 30 on the test server.

>thanks in advance for any replies. skip

Good luck, tread *very* carefully and don't give your money to some
scammer.

BB.

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

In article <ohpb8017gc7l9v2iablj34481rcq8bj8l6@4ax.com>, Barnacle Bill
wrote:
>>Would anyone know if buying one of the lvl 50 accounts from Ebay risks any
>>kind of action later by Mythic should they want to make an issue of it?
> By far the biggest risk is losing your money to a scammer. Online game
> accounts are great for scammers to pocket your money leaving you little
> recourse. Ebay or Paypal will not help you as the goods are 'intangible',
> and likewise Mythic will not help because you are breaking the EULA.
> Scammers make hundreds of thousands of dollars

Uhm...maybe you should actually *read* the EULA yourself before saying
things like that. It explicitly allows selling your account.

--
--Tim Smith

In article <uwjhc.4690$NR5.3565@fe1.texas.rr.com>, Cat7 wrote:
> Would anyone know if buying one of the lvl 50 accounts from Ebay risks any
> kind of action later by Mythic should they want to make an issue of it?

Well, since the EULA explicitly says buying and selling an account is OK
with Mythic provided you follow certain rules, just follow those rules and
you will be OK with them.

Basically, the seller has to deliver everything to you (the CD, packaging,
etc., rather than just telling you the account name and password), keep no
copies himself, and he has to notify Mythic within three days at

transfers at darkageofcamelot dot com

The details are in the EULA.

The risk you face comes not from Mythic, but from the seller. You have to
find a seller that will comply with Mythic's rules.

> Also, what would be a fair price to pay for an account with one lvl 50
> character. I just don't have the time to get one to 50 but would really
> enjoy the jump start of the lvl 20 thing if it applies to all servers.
>
> Which brings me to my last question. Is the lvl 20 jump start only for
> the server the lvl 50 is on or does it allow this for any of the servers?

It applies to all servers.

As far as a fair price, it depends. You say you don't have time to get to
50, but are you sure you know how long it would take? If you make a
Deathsight Necromancer on Gaheris (so you can hunt in all realms) (Pendragon
might even be better...less crowding), you can fairly easily solo to 50 in
under 10 days /played. It took me 8 or 9 and I was lazy--I'd linger too
long rather than moving for the camp bonus, and often did not seek out the
optimal level mobs. A friend doing it concurrently with my took 6. He was
more efficient about keeping the camp bonus up and fighting mobs of the
right level, but still took plenty of time out with me to explore, do the
main class quests, and stuff like that. People have done it in 4 or 5.

So, you may not be saving as much time as you thought buying a 50. Take
that into account when deciding how much you are willing to spend.

I must warn you, though...there is a serious downside to the Necro strategy.
The Necro levels so fast, you might find it hard to play anything else after
that.

--
--Tim Smith

Jayne

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

I've played since beta and have various 50s on various servers. But I'm
also a labor & delivery nurse (midwife) and I either have a LOT of time or
none. After TOA came out I began to play more in BGs and since I can level
right to 30, I wanted a druid on a separate account to help me level BGs
toons to 35. I bought an account to obtain a druid. First I looked for
a lot of good feedback, and how long they were an eBay member. I'd want at
least 25 feedback. (look at what they are buying or selling, some BUY
feedback -they buy 99 cent items such as cards) Look for real sales.
Then you'd want there to be a secret word. Finally, I think $150- 200 is
about the going rate for one level 50.
The feedback is important because you need to be able to trust that if
they say they know the *verified* secret word, they are telling the truth.
If not, then you can give negitive feedback; and if they have a long string
of postive you would assume they don't want to wreck that for one account.
BUT, it's still a gamble. I don't spend anymore on an ebay item that I
could afford to loose-becaue there is always that chance. If you buy very
carefully then you might do just fine.
As soon as I got the account info on the druid I changed the secret word
(during working hours) and I am confident now that it is my account and I
have nothing to worry about.
But do be careful and be wise.

Jayne

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 06:34:27 GMT, Tim Smith
<reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

>Uhm...maybe you should actually *read* the EULA yourself before saying
>things like that. It explicitly allows selling your account.

Not for auction on Ebay it doesn't.

BB.

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 06:34:27 GMT, Tim Smith
<reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

>Uhm...maybe you should actually *read* the EULA yourself before saying
>things like that. It explicitly allows selling your account.

Umm maybe *you should*, it allows* transferring* but only in a
specific manner. And certainly not in the manner accounts on Ebay are
being sold. Notice the EULA dos not use the word *SELL*.

Mythic allows this basically for account transfers within families,
between friends etc., DIRECTLY, not by auction or by professional
account sellers. I won't highlight all that shows this but it's plain
to see from what I have. How many accounts sold on Ebay meet the
criteria Mythic require in this EULA?.

E. TRANSFER OF RIGHTS TO YOUR ACCOUNT

You shall be permitted to transfer once to another person eligible to
obtain an Account your right to access and use your Account (but not
items, characters and attributes of characters separate from the
Account), on the following terms and conditions:

****N.B. *ONCE* That is the account can be transferred once ONLY.

You may not offer to transfer the rights to any Account(s) except your
own, or act as a "broker" or intermediary (for compensation or
otherwise) for any others wishing to transfer or obtain Accounts. You
may not transfer the rights to your Account to any entity or person
ineligible to have an Account under the terms and conditions of the
EUALA. You may not transfer rights to any Account which contains
characters whose attributes are, in whole or in part, developed, or
which contains items, objects, or currency obtained or acquired, in
violation of the terms of the EUALA. The transferee must obtain all
rights in your Account in a single transaction, and you must retain
absolutely no control or rights over the Account, or the characters,
items, and attributes associated with that Account. You must
physically deliver the CD-ROM, and all original packaging,
documentation, (including the keycode on the jewel case) associated
with the Account, and keep no part of such materials or any copies
thereof. You must deliver to the transferee your secret word,
password, account name and all information regarding your account
other than personal billing information such as credit card number,
Pay-by-Cash information, billing information, etc. You must deliver to
the transferee a copy of the EUALA then in effect, and the transferee
must, as a condition of accessing the System through the transferred
Account, agree to be bound by all the terms and conditions of the
EUALA.

***No BROKERS or intermediaries, as in Ebay, Professional account
sellers etc.

***You may not transfer rights to any account which contains
***characters whose attributes are, in whole or part, developed, or
***which contain items, objects or currency obtained or acquired, in
***violation of the terms of the EULA.

***You must physically deliver the CD-ROM, and all original packaging,
***documentation, (including the keycode on the jewel case) associated
***with the Account

You must notify Mythic, via electronic mail to
transfers@darkageofcamelot.com, not later than three (3) days after
concluding the sale that you have transferred the Account, including
in your notice the following: your true name and current mailing and
e-mail address, login name and player name associated with the
Account; the true name and current mailing and e-mail addresses of the
transferor (you) and the transferee, and the following statement: "I
HEREBY CERTIFY THAT, ON [INSERT DATE OF TRANSFER] I TRANSFERRED ALL MY
RIGHTS TO ACCESS AND USE THE DOAC ACCOUNT IDENTIFIED ABOVE, TO THE
PERSON IDENTIFIED ABOVE, AND THAT SUCH TRANSFER COMPLIES WITH ALL THE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS GOVERNING ACCOUNT RIGHTS TRANSFERS, AS SET FORTH
IN THE CURRENT VERSION OF THE DARK AGE OF CAMELOT(TM) END USER ACCESS
AND LICENSE AGREEMENT, WHICH I FURTHER CERTIFY I HAVE READ AND
DELIVERED TO THE TRANSFEREE." The subject field of the e-mail must
contain only the name of the account that is being transferred. Mythic
Entertainment assumes no obligation or responsibility for any
misspelling or typographical errors on your part.

YOU SHALL NOT BE ENTITLED TO ANY REFUND FOR AMOUNTS PREPAID ON THE
TRANSFERRED ACCOUNT, AND DEPENDING ON WHEN IN THE BILLING CYCLE THE
TRANSFER IS MADE, AND WHEN YOU NOTIFY MYTHIC, YOU MAY BE CHARGED FOR
THE ACCOUNT FOR AN ADDITIONAL MONTH FOLLOWING THE TRANSFER. Any
transfer of rights to access and use an Account shall not transfer any
of Mythic’s rights, title or interests, in or to the System, the Game,
the Game Content or the Software, other than the transferee’s right to
access and use the Account in accordance with the terms and conditions
of the EUALA then in effect. ANY TRANSFER OR ATTEMPTED TRANSFER NOT IN
ACCORDANCE WITH THE FOREGOING TERMS AND CONDITIONS IS PROHIBITED,
SHALL BE VOID, AND SHALL NOT BE BINDING ON MYTHIC. ANY TRANSFERS OR
ATTEMPTED TRANSFERS OF ANY RIGHTS IN AN ACCOUNT SHALL BE ENTIRELY AT
THE RISK OF THE PARTIES TO SUCH TRANSACTIONS, AND IN NO CIRCUMSTANCES
SHALL MYTHIC BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY ACTS,
OMISSIONS, STATEMENTS, REPRESENTATIONS, DEFAULTS, OR LIABILITIES OF
THE PARTIES IN CONNECTION WITH SUCH TRANSACTIONS. THIS DISCLAIMER
SHALL BE INDEPENDENT OF ANY OTHER LIMITATIONS ON REMEDIES SET FORTH
HEREIN.

BB.

In article <8b8c805588s57h98vlsfb3899aufs67n0b@4ax.com>, Barnacle Bill wrote:
> You may not offer to transfer the rights to any Account(s) except your
> own, or act as a "broker" or intermediary (for compensation or
> otherwise) for any others wishing to transfer or obtain Accounts. You
> ***No BROKERS or intermediaries, as in Ebay, Professional account
> sellers etc.

It says that the seller cannot be a broker or intermediary. It doesn't say
that the seller cannot use a broker or intermediary to find a buyer.

--
--Tim Smith

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Be aware when buying from ebay.. a lot of people on that server know you bought
from ebay so they will definately treat you different. I dont think mythic
would do anything to you really. People buy and sell accts on ebay all the
time.

If you do buy, make sure you have the secret word and it actually works first.
I hear a lot of horror stories about people ripping other people off and
there's nothing anybody can do about it. Maybe pay with a credit card and if
you are frauded, you can call ur CC company and they can take care of it
somehow.

ANyways, yes you can /level 20 on ANY server if you have at least 1 level 50 on
any server. (with the exceptions of the now rare /level 30 servers)

Take care and good luck with this :)