Linksys wireless camera--viewable if ISP uses dynamic IPs?

Hello. My cable ISP hands me a dynamic IP address, which my wireless router
picks up and lets my wireless and ethernet network use the internet
connection. No problem. However, if I wanted to add this Linksys wireless IP
camera (WVC11B?) to my network, how can I access it using an IP address, not
by using the "service" you have to pay for that lets you name the camera a
plain-language name? Is it possible?

Let's say somehow (not even sure how at this point), remotely, I can
determine the IP address my modem/router was assigned. If I have that
address, is that the main thing I need to access the camera's (private) IP
address? Or in order to view the video (when using an ISP that uses dynamic
IPs), do you _have_ to use the "SoloLink" service? Thanks.

More about linksys wireless camera viewable dynamic

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:32:31 -0400, "Fr@nk"
    <fr@apaNOSP@AMwizard.net> wrote:

    >Hello. My cable ISP hands me a dynamic IP address, which my wireless router
    >picks up and lets my wireless and ethernet network use the internet
    >connection. No problem. However, if I wanted to add this Linksys wireless IP
    >camera (WVC11B?) to my network, how can I access it using an IP address, not
    >by using the "service" you have to pay for that lets you name the camera a
    >plain-language name? Is it possible?
    >
    >Let's say somehow (not even sure how at this point), remotely, I can
    >determine the IP address my modem/router was assigned. If I have that
    >address, is that the main thing I need to access the camera's (private) IP
    >address? Or in order to view the video (when using an ISP that uses dynamic
    >IPs), do you _have_ to use the "SoloLink" service? Thanks.

    Most people use a dynamic IP service (paid or free, see links
    below) to get a domain name that is kept current with the IP
    address assigned by your ISP. Then you foward incomming cam
    traffic to the webcam using the port fowarding setup on your
    router.

    http://www.no-ip.com/
    http://www.dyndns.org/
    http://www.dns2go.com/

    Fr@nk <fr@apaNOSP@amwizard.net> wrote:
    > Hello. My cable ISP hands me a dynamic IP address, which my wireless router
    > picks up and lets my wireless and ethernet network use the internet
    > connection. No problem. However, if I wanted to add this Linksys wireless IP
    > camera (WVC11B?) to my network, how can I access it using an IP address, not
    > by using the "service" you have to pay for that lets you name the camera a
    > plain-language name? Is it possible?

    Can you already use it from the home PC? That's the first step.

    > Let's say somehow (not even sure how at this point), remotely, I can
    > determine the IP address my modem/router was assigned. If I have that
    > address, is that the main thing I need to access the camera's (private) IP
    > address? Or in order to view the video (when using an ISP that uses dynamic
    > IPs), do you _have_ to use the "SoloLink" service? Thanks.

    To find out what the world thinks your IP address is, from home, visit
    http://whatsmyip.net That is your public address at the moment. It might
    change, but mine hasn't in over a year.

    Next, you need some port to get through your router. That would be a
    virtual server on the router setup page. Opening the port lets the world
    see it, though. You might get more webcam exposure than you want.
    Securing that is probably a service SoloLink provides.

    If you can use it from home, go to a cmd prompt and run netstat while the
    program is running, and again when it is not. You should be able to see
    what the port number is.

    --
    ---

    <dold@LinksysXwi.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
    > Fr@nk <fr@apaNOSP@amwizard.net> wrote:
    > > Hello. My cable ISP hands me a dynamic IP address, which my wireless
    router
    > > picks up and lets my wireless and ethernet network use the internet
    > > connection. No problem. However, if I wanted to add this Linksys
    wireless IP
    > > camera (WVC11B?) to my network, how can I access it using an IP address,
    not
    > > by using the "service" you have to pay for that lets you name the camera
    > > plain-language name? Is it possible?
    >
    > Can you already use it from the home PC? That's the first step.
    >
    > > Let's say somehow (not even sure how at this point), remotely, I can
    > > determine the IP address my modem/router was assigned. If I have that
    > > address, is that the main thing I need to access the camera's (private)
    IP
    > > address? Or in order to view the video (when using an ISP that uses
    dynamic
    > > IPs), do you _have_ to use the "SoloLink" service? Thanks.
    >
    > To find out what the world thinks your IP address is, from home, visit
    > http://whatsmyip.net That is your public address at the moment. It might
    > change, but mine hasn't in over a year.
    >
    > Next, you need some port to get through your router. That would be a
    > virtual server on the router setup page. Opening the port lets the world
    > see it, though. You might get more webcam exposure than you want.
    > Securing that is probably a service SoloLink provides.
    >
    > If you can use it from home, go to a cmd prompt and run netstat while the
    > program is running, and again when it is not. You should be able to see
    > what the port number is.
    >
    > --
    > ---
    > Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5

    Thanks for the information. I don't have the camera yet; just wondering if
    what I want to do is possible. The no-ip.com type solution sounds pretty
    good, as long as you run the updater utility often enough. I won't need this
    service very often, so I'm not sure if I need to go this route.

    But....if I could obtain my current IP address my ISP has assigned...when
    I'm away from my home network (dialed up from the road, for example), could
    I then access the Linksys camera through my router (assuming I've set it up
    to direct to the right port)? That is, I think I could call or email my ISP
    and get my IP address...then plug that address into my web browser...and see
    the camera from wherever I am located, correct?

    One thing you might what to look at is IpMailer. When you run it it
    checks you current WAN ip address and emails it to your mail account.
    If the WAN changes it will send out another messafe with the new ip
    address. So all you have to do while on the road is check your mail
    and then you'll know...

    "Fr@nk" <fr@apaNOSP@AMwizard.net> wrote in message news:<vqYHc.3071$Qj.2623@lakeread01>...
    > <dold@LinksysXwi.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
    > > Fr@nk <fr@apaNOSP@amwizard.net> wrote:
    > > > Hello. My cable ISP hands me a dynamic IP address, which my wireless
    > router
    > > > picks up and lets my wireless and ethernet network use the internet
    > > > connection. No problem. However, if I wanted to add this Linksys
    > wireless IP
    > > > camera (WVC11B?) to my network, how can I access it using an IP address,
    > not
    > > > by using the "service" you have to pay for that lets you name the camera
    > > > plain-language name? Is it possible?
    > >
    > > Can you already use it from the home PC? That's the first step.
    > >
    > > > Let's say somehow (not even sure how at this point), remotely, I can
    > > > determine the IP address my modem/router was assigned. If I have that
    > > > address, is that the main thing I need to access the camera's (private)
    > IP
    > > > address? Or in order to view the video (when using an ISP that uses
    > dynamic
    > > > IPs), do you _have_ to use the "SoloLink" service? Thanks.
    > >
    > > To find out what the world thinks your IP address is, from home, visit
    > > http://whatsmyip.net That is your public address at the moment. It might
    > > change, but mine hasn't in over a year.
    > >
    > > Next, you need some port to get through your router. That would be a
    > > virtual server on the router setup page. Opening the port lets the world
    > > see it, though. You might get more webcam exposure than you want.
    > > Securing that is probably a service SoloLink provides.
    > >
    > > If you can use it from home, go to a cmd prompt and run netstat while the
    > > program is running, and again when it is not. You should be able to see
    > > what the port number is.
    > >
    > > --
    > > ---
    > > Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
    > >

    > Thanks for the information. I don't have the camera yet; just wondering if
    > what I want to do is possible. The no-ip.com type solution sounds pretty
    > good, as long as you run the updater utility often enough. I won't need this
    > service very often, so I'm not sure if I need to go this route.
    >
    > But....if I could obtain my current IP address my ISP has assigned...when
    > I'm away from my home network (dialed up from the road, for example), could
    > I then access the Linksys camera through my router (assuming I've set it up
    > to direct to the right port)? That is, I think I could call or email my ISP
    > and get my IP address...then plug that address into my web browser...and see
    > the camera from wherever I am located, correct?

    I implemented the no-ip.com solution with my linksys camera.
    It was easy to do and no problems with the service. The best part is
    that its FREE.
    I installed the No-IP client on my computer. Scheduling updates can
    be done manually, service or desktop app. I manually update since my
    address never changes.
    I created a host with No-IP (i.e. mywebcam.redirectme.net) and
    redirected it to my IP address of my wireless router.
    Then in my router setup, I configured the port range forward of 80 to
    my linksys camera that has the fixed ip address 192.168.1.115
    So if I enter the URL of http:://mywebcam.redirectme.net in my
    browser, the
    port forwarding would eventually make it to my camera. WAHLAH!

    Of course if your hosting a web service on your computer and port 80
    is already in use, just pick an open port number like 8080.
    Your URL would then need the port number in the address.
    http:://mywebcam.redirectme.net:8080

Wireless IP Address Internet Service Providers Cameras Wireless Networking