Linksys wireless camera--viewable if ISP uses dynamic IPs?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 10, 2004 5:32:31 PM

Hello. My cable ISP hands me a dynamic IP address, which my wireless router
picks up and lets my wireless and ethernet network use the internet
connection. No problem. However, if I wanted to add this Linksys wireless IP
camera (WVC11B?) to my network, how can I access it using an IP address, not
by using the "service" you have to pay for that lets you name the camera a
plain-language name? Is it possible?

Let's say somehow (not even sure how at this point), remotely, I can
determine the IP address my modem/router was assigned. If I have that
address, is that the main thing I need to access the camera's (private) IP
address? Or in order to view the video (when using an ISP that uses dynamic
IPs), do you _have_ to use the "SoloLink" service? Thanks.

a b F Wireless
July 10, 2004 10:41:06 PM

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:32:31 -0400, "Fr@nk"
<fr@apaNOSP@AMwizard.net> wrote:

>Hello. My cable ISP hands me a dynamic IP address, which my wireless router
>picks up and lets my wireless and ethernet network use the internet
>connection. No problem. However, if I wanted to add this Linksys wireless IP
>camera (WVC11B?) to my network, how can I access it using an IP address, not
>by using the "service" you have to pay for that lets you name the camera a
>plain-language name? Is it possible?
>
>Let's say somehow (not even sure how at this point), remotely, I can
>determine the IP address my modem/router was assigned. If I have that
>address, is that the main thing I need to access the camera's (private) IP
>address? Or in order to view the video (when using an ISP that uses dynamic
>IPs), do you _have_ to use the "SoloLink" service? Thanks.

Most people use a dynamic IP service (paid or free, see links
below) to get a domain name that is kept current with the IP
address assigned by your ISP. Then you foward incomming cam
traffic to the webcam using the port fowarding setup on your
router.

http://www.no-ip.com/
http://www.dyndns.org/
http://www.dns2go.com/
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 11, 2004 12:06:18 AM

Fr@nk <fr@apaNOSP@amwizard.net> wrote:
> Hello. My cable ISP hands me a dynamic IP address, which my wireless router
> picks up and lets my wireless and ethernet network use the internet
> connection. No problem. However, if I wanted to add this Linksys wireless IP
> camera (WVC11B?) to my network, how can I access it using an IP address, not
> by using the "service" you have to pay for that lets you name the camera a
> plain-language name? Is it possible?

Can you already use it from the home PC? That's the first step.

> Let's say somehow (not even sure how at this point), remotely, I can
> determine the IP address my modem/router was assigned. If I have that
> address, is that the main thing I need to access the camera's (private) IP
> address? Or in order to view the video (when using an ISP that uses dynamic
> IPs), do you _have_ to use the "SoloLink" service? Thanks.

To find out what the world thinks your IP address is, from home, visit
http://whatsmyip.net That is your public address at the moment. It might
change, but mine hasn't in over a year.

Next, you need some port to get through your router. That would be a
virtual server on the router setup page. Opening the port lets the world
see it, though. You might get more webcam exposure than you want.
Securing that is probably a service SoloLink provides.

If you can use it from home, go to a cmd prompt and run netstat while the
program is running, and again when it is not. You should be able to see
what the port number is.

--
---
a b F Wireless

<dold@LinksysXwi.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
> Fr@nk <fr@apaNOSP@amwizard.net> wrote:
> > Hello. My cable ISP hands me a dynamic IP address, which my wireless
router
> > picks up and lets my wireless and ethernet network use the internet
> > connection. No problem. However, if I wanted to add this Linksys
wireless IP
> > camera (WVC11B?) to my network, how can I access it using an IP address,
not
> > by using the "service" you have to pay for that lets you name the camera
> > plain-language name? Is it possible?
>
> Can you already use it from the home PC? That's the first step.
>
> > Let's say somehow (not even sure how at this point), remotely, I can
> > determine the IP address my modem/router was assigned. If I have that
> > address, is that the main thing I need to access the camera's (private)
IP
> > address? Or in order to view the video (when using an ISP that uses
dynamic
> > IPs), do you _have_ to use the "SoloLink" service? Thanks.
>
> To find out what the world thinks your IP address is, from home, visit
> http://whatsmyip.net That is your public address at the moment. It might
> change, but mine hasn't in over a year.
>
> Next, you need some port to get through your router. That would be a
> virtual server on the router setup page. Opening the port lets the world
> see it, though. You might get more webcam exposure than you want.
> Securing that is probably a service SoloLink provides.
>
> If you can use it from home, go to a cmd prompt and run netstat while the
> program is running, and again when it is not. You should be able to see
> what the port number is.
>
> --
> ---
> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5

Thanks for the information. I don't have the camera yet; just wondering if
what I want to do is possible. The no-ip.com type solution sounds pretty
good, as long as you run the updater utility often enough. I won't need this
service very often, so I'm not sure if I need to go this route.

But....if I could obtain my current IP address my ISP has assigned...when
I'm away from my home network (dialed up from the road, for example), could
I then access the Linksys camera through my router (assuming I've set it up
to direct to the right port)? That is, I think I could call or email my ISP
and get my IP address...then plug that address into my web browser...and see
the camera from wherever I am located, correct?

a b F Wireless
July 11, 2004 8:08:28 PM

One thing you might what to look at is IpMailer. When you run it it
checks you current WAN ip address and emails it to your mail account.
If the WAN changes it will send out another messafe with the new ip
address. So all you have to do while on the road is check your mail
and then you'll know...

"Fr@nk" <fr@apaNOSP@AMwizard.net> wrote:

><dold@LinksysXwi.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
>> Fr@nk <fr@apaNOSP@amwizard.net> wrote:
>> > Hello. My cable ISP hands me a dynamic IP address, which my wireless
>router
>> > picks up and lets my wireless and ethernet network use the internet
>> > connection. No problem. However, if I wanted to add this Linksys
>wireless IP
>> > camera (WVC11B?) to my network, how can I access it using an IP address,
>not
>> > by using the "service" you have to pay for that lets you name the camera
>> > plain-language name? Is it possible?
>>
>> Can you already use it from the home PC? That's the first step.
>>
>> > Let's say somehow (not even sure how at this point), remotely, I can
>> > determine the IP address my modem/router was assigned. If I have that
>> > address, is that the main thing I need to access the camera's (private)
>IP
>> > address? Or in order to view the video (when using an ISP that uses
>dynamic
>> > IPs), do you _have_ to use the "SoloLink" service? Thanks.
>>
>> To find out what the world thinks your IP address is, from home, visit
>> http://whatsmyip.net That is your public address at the moment. It might
>> change, but mine hasn't in over a year.
>>
>> Next, you need some port to get through your router. That would be a
>> virtual server on the router setup page. Opening the port lets the world
>> see it, though. You might get more webcam exposure than you want.
>> Securing that is probably a service SoloLink provides.
>>
>> If you can use it from home, go to a cmd prompt and run netstat while the
>> program is running, and again when it is not. You should be able to see
>> what the port number is.
>>
>> --
>> ---
>> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
>>

>Thanks for the information. I don't have the camera yet; just wondering if
>what I want to do is possible. The no-ip.com type solution sounds pretty
>good, as long as you run the updater utility often enough. I won't need this
>service very often, so I'm not sure if I need to go this route.
>
>But....if I could obtain my current IP address my ISP has assigned...when
>I'm away from my home network (dialed up from the road, for example), could
>I then access the Linksys camera through my router (assuming I've set it up
>to direct to the right port)? That is, I think I could call or email my ISP
>and get my IP address...then plug that address into my web browser...and see
>the camera from wherever I am located, correct?

July 21, 2004 10:31:27 PM

"Fr@nk" <fr@apaNOSP@AMwizard.net> wrote in message news:<vqYHc.3071$Qj.2623@lakeread01>...
> <dold@LinksysXwi.usenet.us.com> wrote in message
> > Fr@nk <fr@apaNOSP@amwizard.net> wrote:
> > > Hello. My cable ISP hands me a dynamic IP address, which my wireless
> router
> > > picks up and lets my wireless and ethernet network use the internet
> > > connection. No problem. However, if I wanted to add this Linksys
> wireless IP
> > > camera (WVC11B?) to my network, how can I access it using an IP address,
> not
> > > by using the "service" you have to pay for that lets you name the camera
> > > plain-language name? Is it possible?
> >
> > Can you already use it from the home PC? That's the first step.
> >
> > > Let's say somehow (not even sure how at this point), remotely, I can
> > > determine the IP address my modem/router was assigned. If I have that
> > > address, is that the main thing I need to access the camera's (private)
> IP
> > > address? Or in order to view the video (when using an ISP that uses
> dynamic
> > > IPs), do you _have_ to use the "SoloLink" service? Thanks.
> >
> > To find out what the world thinks your IP address is, from home, visit
> > http://whatsmyip.net That is your public address at the moment. It might
> > change, but mine hasn't in over a year.
> >
> > Next, you need some port to get through your router. That would be a
> > virtual server on the router setup page. Opening the port lets the world
> > see it, though. You might get more webcam exposure than you want.
> > Securing that is probably a service SoloLink provides.
> >
> > If you can use it from home, go to a cmd prompt and run netstat while the
> > program is running, and again when it is not. You should be able to see
> > what the port number is.
> >
> > --
> > ---
> > Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
> >

> Thanks for the information. I don't have the camera yet; just wondering if
> what I want to do is possible. The no-ip.com type solution sounds pretty
> good, as long as you run the updater utility often enough. I won't need this
> service very often, so I'm not sure if I need to go this route.
>
> But....if I could obtain my current IP address my ISP has assigned...when
> I'm away from my home network (dialed up from the road, for example), could
> I then access the Linksys camera through my router (assuming I've set it up
> to direct to the right port)? That is, I think I could call or email my ISP
> and get my IP address...then plug that address into my web browser...and see
> the camera from wherever I am located, correct?

I implemented the no-ip.com solution with my linksys camera.
It was easy to do and no problems with the service. The best part is
that its FREE.
I installed the No-IP client on my computer. Scheduling updates can
be done manually, service or desktop app. I manually update since my
address never changes.
I created a host with No-IP (i.e. mywebcam.redirectme.net) and
redirected it to my IP address of my wireless router.
Then in my router setup, I configured the port range forward of 80 to
my linksys camera that has the fixed ip address 192.168.1.115
So if I enter the URL of http:://mywebcam.redirectme.net in my
browser, the
port forwarding would eventually make it to my camera. WAHLAH!

Of course if your hosting a web service on your computer and port 80
is already in use, just pick an open port number like 8080.
Your URL would then need the port number in the address.
http:://mywebcam.redirectme.net:8080
!