MSN Messenger & Windows Messenger

March 7, 2005 8:03:02 PM

When I connect to the internet, I am automatically logged into Windows
Messenger but don't want to be. I only like to use MSN Messenger 6.2 and when
I log into that, I get a message saying "you have been logged out of Net
Messenger". I can't even tell when I am logged in to "Net Messenger" because
it doesn't show me an icon or anything anywhere. What is the problem? I don't
always want people to see that I am here.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 8:50:40 PM

Greetings,

To fix this, you'll need to disable Windows Messenger from starting. To do so, open it up
(click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab
and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows
starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the background' or
'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background' (depending on version). This won't remove
Windows Messenger, so features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing
will continue to work, but it will let it stay out of your way.

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

!