Dim2400 / slow to wake from screensaver

This is a slight enigma to me, as I have *all* power saving options
switched OFF except for powering down the monitor after an hour, and
there`s a standard opengl screensaver running after about 40 minutes.

The machine can take 20-30 seconds to bring back a normal looking
desktop upon resuming / wiggling the mouse once the screensaver /
monitor powered down has kicked in - this also affects use of the
machine for that period with it being even more sluggish than usual.

It only has the stock 256Mb of RAM, but it seems a little anti-intuitive
that it should take so long to "come back" and refresh the desktop
(often having to redraw the icons from "blank").

Any suggestions ? (apart from maybe just changing the screensaver to
"blank screen")

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****

    Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com> writes:
    >It only has the stock 256Mb of RAM, but it seems a little anti-intuitive
    >that it should take so long to "come back" and refresh the desktop
    >(often having to redraw the icons from "blank").
    >Any suggestions ? (apart from maybe just changing the screensaver to
    >"blank screen")

    The on board graphics uses main system ram. The screensaver is probably
    using up a lot of ram and windows is paging out other things.

    I'd definetly use a lower resolution screen saver but you should also look
    into some more ram.

    Later

    Mark Hittinger
    bugs@pu.net

    "Mark Hittinger" <bugs@pu.net> wrote in message
    > Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com> writes:
    >>It only has the stock 256Mb of RAM, but it seems a little anti-intuitive
    >>that it should take so long to "come back" and refresh the desktop
    >>(often having to redraw the icons from "blank").
    >>Any suggestions ? (apart from maybe just changing the screensaver to
    >>"blank screen")
    >
    > The on board graphics uses main system ram. The screensaver is probably
    > using up a lot of ram and windows is paging out other things.
    >
    > I'd definetly use a lower resolution screen saver but you should also look
    > into some more ram.
    >
    > Later
    >
    > Mark Hittinger
    > bugs@pu.net

    Could also be that the monitor itself is slowly going bad. Many CRTs will
    typically do that over a period of time, waking more slowly with age.

    Stew

    > Could also be that the monitor itself is slowly going bad. Many CRTs will
    > typically do that over a period of time, waking more slowly with age.

    The monitor itself is OK - it was the PC itself taking time to
    "recover" from the screensaver that had me confused.

    Thanks for the reply :-)

    --

    "Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Could also be that the monitor itself is slowly going bad. Many CRTs
    >> will
    >> typically do that over a period of time, waking more slowly with age.
    >
    > The monitor itself is OK - it was the PC itself taking time to
    > "recover" from the screensaver that had me confused.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply :-)
    >
    > --
    Could have to do with the fact that the onboard video has some limitations.
    For example, my 2400 will NOT work with my Home Theater software.

    Tom

Dell Screensaver Monitors Computers