D-link 614+ not working in afternoon, strange.

D-link 614+ H/W B1 F/W 3.41 (1 antana)
Both wired and wireless work normal in morning and at night.
Have talked D+link support for 3 hrs, RMA , replacement
router still have the same problem.

In the afternoon the router would stop working, cannot
access the set up page, no connection to internet.
Both wired and wireless not working.

Turn it off for 10 sec and turn on, will work for a while and not working again.
At about 11- 12'o clock noon it happen few times an hour
and gradually get worst to every few minute (around 3-7 o'clock).

I suspect is temperature at first, but turn on air condition
didn't solve the problem.

I have 2 back up power supply. have tried both
UPS on backup and unbackup side.. still the same.
Without the UPS my computer will reboot or freeze
many times a day.
Could it be noise in the power line that both UPS
unablie to filter out?

or some kind of attack?

<bokoo1hk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> D-link 614+ H/W B1 F/W 3.41 (1 antana)
> Both wired and wireless work normal in morning and at night.
> Have talked D+link support for 3 hrs, RMA , replacement
> router still have the same problem.
>
> In the afternoon the router would stop working, cannot
> access the set up page, no connection to internet.
> Both wired and wireless not working.
>
> Turn it off for 10 sec and turn on, will work for a while and not working
again.
> At about 11- 12'o clock noon it happen few times an hour
> and gradually get worst to every few minute (around 3-7 o'clock).
>
> I suspect is temperature at first, but turn on air condition
> didn't solve the problem.
>
> I have 2 back up power supply. have tried both
> UPS on backup and unbackup side.. still the same.
> Without the UPS my computer will reboot or freeze
> many times a day.
> Could it be noise in the power line that both UPS
> unablie to filter out?
>
> or some kind of attack?

I would suspect interference, either from wireless phones in houses,
microwave ovens, or perhaps other wireless units. Suggest you get Network
Stumbler and see what other nets are around in the afternoon.

--
Bob Alston

---

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:52:14 GMT, <bokoo1hk@yahoo.com> wrote:

>D-link 614+ H/W B1 F/W 3.41 (1 antana)
>Both wired and wireless work normal in morning and at night.
>Have talked D+link support for 3 hrs, RMA , replacement
>router still have the same problem.
>
>In the afternoon the router would stop working, cannot
>access the set up page, no connection to internet.
>Both wired and wireless not working.

Ok. Let's eliminate wireless completely for now. If it doesn't work
with a direct ethernet connection, it's not going to work with
wireless.

What do you mean by "no connection"? For that matter, how are you
connected to the internet? DSL, cable modem, ISDN router, LAN modem,
two tin cans and a string? If DSL or cable, the D-Link router makes
the connection to the ISP, negotiates an IP address, does the login
cerimony, and basically does all the work. Go to the status page and
see if you have a valid IP address on the WAN side. It should look
something like this:
http://support.dlink.com/techtool/di614+/emulator/st_devic.htm
except that the zero's on the WAN side should be filled in with
routeable IP addresses and real numbers. If that's not happening,
your unspecified ISP has pulled the plug on you, or your DSL or cable
modem has a problem.

Lacking suitable information, I'll take wild guess based on
experience. My guess(tm) is that you have DSL and that you're using
microfilters on all your telephones. However, I'll also guess that
you've forgotten to install a microfilter on some obscure telephone
device such as a CATV set-top box, satellite receiver, or bungler
alarm. That usually results in marginal signal level causing the DSL
signal to vary somewhat depending upon position of the moon and alien
signals from flying saucers. You can usually tell you have a problem
as the modem/bridge "sync" light will flash and flicker.

>Turn it off for 10 sec and turn on, will work for a while and not working again.
>At about 11- 12'o clock noon it happen few times an hour
>and gradually get worst to every few minute (around 3-7 o'clock).

Well, I have another theory. Someone is using your account and login
elsewhere. Various ISP's usually delay the time it takes to dump you
off their system due to duplicate logins. It varies by ISP but the
symptoms fit your description. Works for 10 minutes and then you get
dumped.

>I suspect is temperature at first, but turn on air condition
>didn't solve the problem.

I have a DI-614+ in my palatial office on top of my server pile and
buried under the traditional pile of paper, cd's, and floppish. No
air flow. The top is a bit warm but hardly enough to cause
overheating.

>I have 2 back up power supply. have tried both
>UPS on backup and unbackup side.. still the same.
>Without the UPS my computer will reboot or freeze
>many times a day.
>Could it be noise in the power line that both UPS
>unablie to filter out?

Nope. The power supply for the DI-614+ is a switcher. That's why it
stays so cool and is so small. Very little will go through that.

>or some kind of attack?

Dunno. What do the lights on the front of the D-Link do when you
"lose connection"? If they are flashing furiously, it's an attack or
you have a worm, virus, or trojan that is monopolizing all your
bandwidth. If the lights are NOT flashing, then it's not an attack,
trojan, virus, worm, or whatever.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

I say take it back and get another replacement. They make them like pop corn
and you could have another bad one possibly.

One person had the first router replaced and the second one was defective
too. The third one worked.

Duane :)