Installing a second OS on partition

Alsenor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
My drive has W7 64 installed.
I have an additional partition on my drive in which I would like to install XP.
How do I have to configure that partition so that the installation CD will see it and include it in the options where to install?
I am using Partition Wizard.

Alsenor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
I have studied that tutorial before, but it does not answer my question.
To start with, my HP machine comes preinstalled W7, with 3 primary partitions (Status in brackets):
*:SYSTEM (Active & Boot) Primary
C:HP (System) Primary
D:Factory-Image (None) Primary

I believe I can only have 3 primary partitions on one drive, and I am wondering whether I can install OS on my fourth partition without making it primary.

You can have four primary partitions on a disk, so if you were to resize, say, your C: partition you could create another primary and install XP on it. Be aware that you will have to jump through a few hoops to get both OSes running if you install XP after 7.

An alternative, considering the current cost of hard drives, is to buy a second cheap disk for XP (but that won't work if your computer is a laptop!).

Alsenor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Yes, I agree with you on that, and already bought a second HDD, but it came without a power cable, and now I am waiting for the cable to arrive. Meanwhile I was getting antsy to try and play around with partitioning, just to fill in time. :kaola:

Alsenor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
You must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode.

tausif_buet

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
hello
i first installed windows 7 ultimate in one drive & windows xp(sp-3) in another drive.
i have two operating system now but it does not show any option to switch one another when it boots/starts at the beginging??so how to solve the problem??

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

I have sent a reply in your thread, please do not attempt to hijack a thread