specs:

DFI P2XBL REV. A(440BX)
intel p2 400mhz
2 kingston 128mb pc100 sdram
viper 2 32mb
awe64
generic 44x cdrom
western digital caviar 36400 (6.4gb)

first, i know its old junk and im not asking what i should upgrade to, im asking for help with my problem.

i am having a problem with my bios recognizing the hard drive. i have tried manually entering the information and tried using different ide cables. i connected the HD to this pc and it detected it just fine. the jumper setting is correct and i have upgraded the bios to its latest version. should be able to read HD's over 35gig. funny thing is this HD and another one just like it use to be hooked up back when it was brand new.

i need suggestions please.

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Not tying to throw out something elementary,but did you double check the red stripe to pin one configuration?I learned the hard way not to trust the connector key-notches.:)

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
funny thing is this HD and another one just like it use to be hooked up back when it was brand new.
So it used to be hooked up, but then one day just stopped working? Or did you remove it for some reason and try to reconnect it now?

If two drives worked for a while and suddenly neither work, I'm thinking your IDE controller has died- especially considering you have apparently checked the BIOS and cabling. Do other IDE devices work on the channels you are attempting to use? You should try hooking up a CD-rom drive as MASTER on the suspect IDE controller to rule out or confirm this. Just an idea though...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most likely either hooked up wrong or a bad drive. If your hard drive light on the case works, and stays on, the cable is backwards on one end. Not being detected properly or intermittantly is almost like a trademark of WD drives, the controller on the drive usually goes bad.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

TRENDING THREADS