Messenger won't start

Trying to use Windows Messenger for first time in order to use remote
assistance. The program will not start, either using the icon or the
executable. The only time I get any type of message is when I try to access
remote assistance from the Help and Support Menu. The message:
"An administrator has denied permission to use Windows Messenger..."
I installed WinXP (Pro) myself, so I'm the Administrator. My login has
Admin rights.
I downloaded and installed Messenger v 5.1 to see if it would make a
difference. It doesn't. I also looked at the registry for entries suggested
by a notice about Messenger v. 4. The "missing" registry items were there.
Any help appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about messenger start

    Greetings Lowell,

    It sounds like Windows Messenger may just have been disabled. To correct this, download and
    run these .reg files in the affected account:
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablewindowsmessenger_user.reg
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablemessenger.reg
    After running these, reboot and then try opening Windows Messenger again.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Lowell" <Lowell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Trying to use Windows Messenger for first time in order to use remote
    > assistance. The program will not start, either using the icon or the
    > executable. The only time I get any type of message is when I try to access
    > remote assistance from the Help and Support Menu. The message:
    > "An administrator has denied permission to use Windows Messenger..."
    > I installed WinXP (Pro) myself, so I'm the Administrator. My login has
    > Admin rights.
    > I downloaded and installed Messenger v 5.1 to see if it would make a
    > difference. It doesn't. I also looked at the registry for entries suggested
    > by a notice about Messenger v. 4. The "missing" registry items were there.
    > Any help appreciated.

    Bingo. I thank you, and my 83 year old mother thanks you. Now I can fix her
    conputer.

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings Lowell,
    >
    > It sounds like Windows Messenger may just have been disabled. To correct this, download and
    > run these .reg files in the affected account:
    > http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablewindowsmessenger_user.reg
    > http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablemessenger.reg
    > After running these, reboot and then try opening Windows Messenger again.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Lowell" <Lowell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Trying to use Windows Messenger for first time in order to use remote
    > > assistance. The program will not start, either using the icon or the
    > > executable. The only time I get any type of message is when I try to access
    > > remote assistance from the Help and Support Menu. The message:
    > > "An administrator has denied permission to use Windows Messenger..."
    > > I installed WinXP (Pro) myself, so I'm the Administrator. My login has
    > > Admin rights.
    > > I downloaded and installed Messenger v 5.1 to see if it would make a
    > > difference. It doesn't. I also looked at the registry for entries suggested
    > > by a notice about Messenger v. 4. The "missing" registry items were there.
    > > Any help appreciated.

    Hi,

    Great, give her my regards :)

    > Bingo. I thank you, and my 83 year old mother thanks you. Now I can fix her
    > conputer.
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings Lowell,
    >>
    >> It sounds like Windows Messenger may just have been disabled. To correct this, download
    >> and
    >> run these .reg files in the affected account:
    >> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablewindowsmessenger_user.reg
    >> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablemessenger.reg
    >> After running these, reboot and then try opening Windows Messenger again.
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
    >>
    >> "Lowell" <Lowell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Trying to use Windows Messenger for first time in order to use remote
    >> > assistance. The program will not start, either using the icon or the
    >> > executable. The only time I get any type of message is when I try to access
    >> > remote assistance from the Help and Support Menu. The message:
    >> > "An administrator has denied permission to use Windows Messenger..."
    >> > I installed WinXP (Pro) myself, so I'm the Administrator. My login has
    >> > Admin rights.
    >> > I downloaded and installed Messenger v 5.1 to see if it would make a
    >> > difference. It doesn't. I also looked at the registry for entries suggested
    >> > by a notice about Messenger v. 4. The "missing" registry items were there.
    >> > Any help appreciated.

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP