Lowell

Trying to use Windows Messenger for first time in order to use remote
assistance. The program will not start, either using the icon or the
executable. The only time I get any type of message is when I try to access
remote assistance from the Help and Support Menu. The message:
"An administrator has denied permission to use Windows Messenger..."
I installed WinXP (Pro) myself, so I'm the Administrator. My login has
Admin rights.
I downloaded and installed Messenger v 5.1 to see if it would make a
difference. It doesn't. I also looked at the registry for entries suggested
by a notice about Messenger v. 4. The "missing" registry items were there.
Any help appreciated.

Greetings Lowell,

It sounds like Windows Messenger may just have been disabled. To correct this, download and
run these .reg files in the affected account:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablewindowsmessenger_user.reg
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablemessenger.reg
After running these, reboot and then try opening Windows Messenger again.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Lowell" <Lowell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to use Windows Messenger for first time in order to use remote
> assistance. The program will not start, either using the icon or the
> executable. The only time I get any type of message is when I try to access
> remote assistance from the Help and Support Menu. The message:
> "An administrator has denied permission to use Windows Messenger..."
> I installed WinXP (Pro) myself, so I'm the Administrator. My login has
> Admin rights.
> I downloaded and installed Messenger v 5.1 to see if it would make a
> difference. It doesn't. I also looked at the registry for entries suggested
> by a notice about Messenger v. 4. The "missing" registry items were there.
> Any help appreciated.

Lowell

Bingo. I thank you, and my 83 year old mother thanks you. Now I can fix her
conputer.

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings Lowell,
>
> It sounds like Windows Messenger may just have been disabled. To correct this, download and
> run these .reg files in the affected account:
> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablewindowsmessenger_user.reg
> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablemessenger.reg
> After running these, reboot and then try opening Windows Messenger again.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Lowell" <Lowell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Trying to use Windows Messenger for first time in order to use remote
> > assistance. The program will not start, either using the icon or the
> > executable. The only time I get any type of message is when I try to access
> > remote assistance from the Help and Support Menu. The message:
> > "An administrator has denied permission to use Windows Messenger..."
> > I installed WinXP (Pro) myself, so I'm the Administrator. My login has
> > Admin rights.
> > I downloaded and installed Messenger v 5.1 to see if it would make a
> > difference. It doesn't. I also looked at the registry for entries suggested
> > by a notice about Messenger v. 4. The "missing" registry items were there.
> > Any help appreciated.

Hi,

Great, give her my regards :)