G

Hey I am new to the high end hardware scene, I want to build a dual amd 1900+ MP system. Trying to decide on a main board. I have had exp with Tyan's SMP boards and love them, but they are a bit pricey and I don't need SCSI. I was thinking about the Asus boards, are they as good? What about ABIT or MSI. Are the Tyan boards worth all the $$$ Thanks for the help.

Also, is there a board of this description that will support the up and comming T-bred?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BuRnCyCLE on 02/18/02 02:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

The Tyan Tiger is a really good board. I've built 2 systems with them and with Athlon XP chips, they showed up as MP chips and everything was fine. Been runnin one for a couple of months now. No problems at all. Just rmember things like ECC registered ram. I'm not sure if the asus or MSI boards need that.

Whatever u choose post it and how well it runs.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Yes the Asus M/B requires registered DDR also. You can view a M/B bundle <A HREF="http://www.jncs.com" target="_new">here</A> (www.jncs.com) and depending on how much DDR SDR you want will determine the price. Since the dualies are new stuff, not many retailers are will to drop the price yet.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

G

I just built a system based on the MSI K7D Master-L, dual XP1600+ cpus, 512 MB Crucial non-registered PC2100 DDR SDRAM. You can use non registered only in DIMM slots 1&2, 3&4 are for registered only. As for stability this board is rock solid one you get it up and running, and the ease of configuration is great, I think there are like 2 jumpers to set. Not an overclockers board obviously, though you can adjust the front side bus speed in the bios. The board has the original (only version out right now) bios, and the chipset drivers are a little shaky, not even Microsoft certified yet, I hope that one of the issues with this board (it won't shut off automatically at windows shutdown) under W2K SP2 will get solved with either a bios or driver update. I have a copy of WinXP Pro on the way, it will be interesting to see how it runs under that OS.

Any other questions, hit me.

Tim

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just curious....how can you have a rock solid board with shaky chipset drivers? Or are you saying that just because that the drivers themselves are not MS certified as of yet, not that they exhibit shaky behavior. As for the shutdown issue you need to enable advanced power management.

control panel>system>power options> then hit the APM tab.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

G

That's what I ment by shaky, all of the chipset drivers are so new that none have been certified by MS yet. Thanks for the tip on enabling APM, I didn't check it, I assumed that it is enabled by default. I am still playing around with the drivers for the various devices I have installed, I updated the Adaptec 2940U2W controller to the newest drivers from Adaptec, and had to play around with the NEC USB 2 Host adapter drivers to get them all installed correctly, this is all on hold now as I am installing WinXP Pro fresh to see how it likes the board, I will let you know. Tim

Tim Clune

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
if being certified ms drivers was a sign of compatability or not. i think about 2/3 of hardware wouldn't be compatable.

Windows XP cd makes a great coaster :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah... specially as they have to pay microshaft $$$ for certified driver status.

from memory three quarters of my drivers 'arnt certified', yet why does my system work for days at a time, and reboots ONLY occur if i install new stuff and have to do the reboot cycle?

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
yep, only my NIC driver is certified, out of video, raid, sound, chipset, monitors. haha, i remember when i too, used to think that drivers being "ms certified" ment something.

Windows XP cd makes a great coaster :smile:

embreeb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
I built a dual Duron MP system for my cousin late last year and I had a lot of problems getting the system to work. I tried out 3 different brands of ram before we finally sent it to the vendor we got the mobo from. They got it to work with the ram we bought from someone else, but they wouldn't tell me how. I would check into some of the other manufacturers, but you if you still want the Tyan, try the Tiger (it doesn't have SCSI). You can also get the barebones system from Monarch Computers and they will test everything out first before they send it to you (already assembled).