Athlon XP 1600+ hangs at Verifying DMI Pool

G

Hi.
I've got a problem with my new computer. It hangs at startup at "Verifying DMI Pool". It's an athlon 1600+ (1.4ghz) on an Epox 8Kha+ motherboard. Using 256mb PC2100 DDR ram.
I've tried switching memory, still same problem. Also tried with a different harddrive, no success. Even tried to boot without any harddrive (start disk only), still same problem. I've flashed bios to the newest available version, made no difference. Also tried with a different agp video card, then an old pci video card. None of that made any difference either. Still hangs at Verifying dmi pool. I've also reset the bios using the jumper a couple of times. The memory speed is set to "normal" (lowest possible) in bios.

But when I lowered the fsb to 100mhz it boots just fine. I'm absolutely not sure, but I think it MIGHT be due to a bad power supply. The power supply is a Chieftec 300w atx. I know that 300w should be enough, but I can't find Chieftec on AMD:s list of recommended power supplies.

What do you think? Should I buy a new power supply or is there anything I've missed?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What is your memory setting (2 or 2.5clk, and Normal, Fast, etc...)?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

The memory settings are all by default..
that is:
SDRAM Cycle length: By SPD
Bank interleave by SPD
The rest are 3T, 6T, 3T

G

I have exactly the same problem but with my 1700 processor. Tried everything I can thing of but to no avail. If you work it out let me know!

Chris

It does sound like the old PSU, doesn't it.

Perhaps a minimal hardware config. If you're booting with the HDD lose the CD drives, extra PCI cards (not graphics. You need that) and the case fans.

This may allow the PSU to boot the system if its the culprit.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool: