geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
somethimes im just working or on the internet and my system just re-boots, can anyone please help?

2. also, when on the internet and i go to some sites sometimes i just get a white screen and it says done at the bottom, or sometimes, like at this site, i just get banners and nothing else, is there something wrong with my internet explorer settings? please help

Thanks

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
This kind of problem cannot be trouble-shot online - you'll need someone there that can 1 by 1 test all of the possible issues.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Ok.. we definitely need all of your system info to start to troubleshoot this.

However, I can at least give you a headstart with a couple of suggestions.

1) go into the System settings (Advanced tab I believe), and change the setting for 'reboot on error' so that it won't reboot, and will instead give you a BSOD (blue screen of death). Now you should be able to see some details about what has gone wrong to crash your system

2) I had problems like this on my system and it turned out to be bad RAM. I took out the RAM I had and replaced it with a new stick and everything was fixed. See if the place you got it from will swap the stick of RAM for you, or go to a store that has a return policy and pick up a new stick to try (knowing you can return it if it doesn't fix the problem).

Other things to try are:

1) make sure your power supply is good enough to power your system (300W minimum for AMD systems - and brand name supplies are best... some 300W supplies suck)
2) re-seat all cards/ram/etc on the motherboard (and try the RAM you have in a different ram slot... if you have more than 1 stick of RAM.. try using just 1 stick at a time. If it runs stable with 1 stick then you know that stick is good, etc.

That's a start...

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
my system

AMD Athlon 1900XP
Soyo Dragon Plus Mobo
100 GB Western Digital HD
512 MB of Crucial ram
ati all in wonder radeon 8500
sound balster audigy platinum
24x plextor burner