Wanted! People to Videoconference with

Several of us are still trying to get MSN Messenger to
perform 2-way video with 2-way audio at the same time.
We've received quite a bit of good advice here, and learned
a lot from it, but we still can't make it play. I feel that
it may be more a matter of technique than hardware or software,
and so I'm seeking people for several of us to try to
interface with.

Some of the ground rules require:

XP...preferably with SP2 for uniformity.
Modem has to be UPnP compliant (whatever that
means, I don't really care)
Webcam mode is fine for video alone, but we're
told that it does *not* support audio,
so please use Video Conference mode only.
Test your mike and speakers separately, to make
sure they're alive and well.
There are some Microsoft Knowledge Base articles on
this, but they go off into directions that
I, for one, cannot follow. Things like
Real-Time Communication Client Support for
Network Address Translation.

Do we have any volunteers who are in the same boat,
who want to lend a hand with the oars?

Bill Lurie
14 answers Last reply
More about wanted people videoconference with

    Greetings,

    This is incorrect, there is nothing stopping you from initiating Webcam and then starting
    Audio after (or vice-versa).
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message news:4230EF92.8020402@nospam.org...
    > Several of us are still trying to get MSN Messenger to
    > perform 2-way video with 2-way audio at the same time.
    > We've received quite a bit of good advice here, and learned
    > a lot from it, but we still can't make it play. I feel that
    > it may be more a matter of technique than hardware or software,
    > and so I'm seeking people for several of us to try to
    > interface with.
    >
    > Some of the ground rules require:
    >
    > XP...preferably with SP2 for uniformity.
    > Modem has to be UPnP compliant (whatever that
    > means, I don't really care)
    > Webcam mode is fine for video alone, but we're
    > told that it does *not* support audio,
    > so please use Video Conference mode only.
    > Test your mike and speakers separately, to make
    > sure they're alive and well.
    > There are some Microsoft Knowledge Base articles on
    > this, but they go off into directions that
    > I, for one, cannot follow. Things like
    > Real-Time Communication Client Support for
    > Network Address Translation.
    >
    > Do we have any volunteers who are in the same boat,
    > who want to lend a hand with the oars?
    >
    > Bill Lurie

    We certainly defer to your superior knowledge and experience
    both, Jonathan, but the fact remains that when we are in 2-way
    video Webcam, messaging each other to coordinate, as soon as
    we try to initiate Audio by clicking the Audio button, we get
    messages telling us that Audio has been disconnected. We've tried
    everything obvious. You say nothing is stopping us......well,
    what's stopping us is that we can't make it work.

    We need somehow an MSN Messenger-based procedure that is step-
    by-step, so that when we get to step "X" and it doesn't work,
    we can report that back.

    Bill Lurie

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Bill

    How much memory do you have?.. webcam and voice needs a little bit of
    power..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Bill
    >
    > How much memory do you have?.. webcam and voice needs a little bit of
    > power..

    Mike, I appreciate your interest. I'm waist deep in this
    videoconferencing thing for several reasons, and need help
    from the people who know.

    I have 1024Meg of RAM, XP/SP2, loads of room on the hard drive,
    and DSL connection. But there has been a late development.

    Several days ago, my ISP (BellSouth) by remote access, did what they
    could to render my Westell model UPnP compliant. Now that that
    didn't solve the problem, they admit that they put it into a 'bridging'
    mode, but that it cannot be made UPnP compliant, and they have no
    other modem to furnish.

    From what I've been told in this newsgroup (please confirm), both
    parties must have UPnP compliant modems. Taken at face value, I
    do not have and therefore there is no point in looking elsewhere
    until I do. I have an alternative path to take, in that my local
    cable company (Adelphia) would love to have me switch to them and
    leave BellSouth. And I suspect they will provide a UPnP compliant
    modem. My next move is to pit BellSouth against Adelphia and see
    who comes up with a solution first.

    And so, I believe that we should concentrate on this one facet of the
    problem, the modem, before looking beyond. And I hope that this lengthy
    discussion will benefit others; after all, this is the meeting place
    and bulletin board for people attempting to use MSN Messenger!

    Bill Lurie

    Bill

    I looked at the BellSouth website and see that they have quite a list of
    supported modems.. I am fairly sure that at least two of them are UPnP
    enabled.. BellSouth may not supply them, but you could always buy one..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message news:42323C77.9030507@nospam.org...
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >> Bill
    >>
    >> How much memory do you have?.. webcam and voice needs a little bit of
    >> power..
    >>
    > Mike, I appreciate your interest. I'm waist deep in this videoconferencing
    > thing for several reasons, and need help
    > from the people who know.
    >
    > I have 1024Meg of RAM, XP/SP2, loads of room on the hard drive,
    > and DSL connection. But there has been a late development.
    >
    > Several days ago, my ISP (BellSouth) by remote access, did what they
    > could to render my Westell model UPnP compliant. Now that that
    > didn't solve the problem, they admit that they put it into a 'bridging'
    > mode, but that it cannot be made UPnP compliant, and they have no
    > other modem to furnish.
    >
    > From what I've been told in this newsgroup (please confirm), both
    > parties must have UPnP compliant modems. Taken at face value, I
    > do not have and therefore there is no point in looking elsewhere
    > until I do. I have an alternative path to take, in that my local
    > cable company (Adelphia) would love to have me switch to them and
    > leave BellSouth. And I suspect they will provide a UPnP compliant
    > modem. My next move is to pit BellSouth against Adelphia and see
    > who comes up with a solution first.
    >
    > And so, I believe that we should concentrate on this one facet of the
    > problem, the modem, before looking beyond. And I hope that this lengthy
    > discussion will benefit others; after all, this is the meeting place
    > and bulletin board for people attempting to use MSN Messenger!
    >
    > Bill Lurie
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Bill
    >
    > I looked at the BellSouth website and see that they have quite a list of
    > supported modems.. I am fairly sure that at least two of them are UPnP
    > enabled.. BellSouth may not supply them, but you could always buy one..

    Mike, I guess my searching methods aren't as good as yours.
    Could you link me to that list? Thank you.

    -- Bill
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Bill

    Not a problem.. click on the link..

    https://www.fastaccess.com/content/consumer/popups/modems_popup.html

    --

    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >> Bill
    >>
    >> I looked at the BellSouth website and see that they have quite a list of
    >> supported modems.. I am fairly sure that at least two of them are UPnP
    >> enabled.. BellSouth may not supply them, but you could always buy one..
    >>
    > Mike, I guess my searching methods aren't as good as yours.
    > Could you link me to that list? Thank you.
    >
    > -- Bill

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Bill
    >
    > I looked at the BellSouth website and see that they have quite a list of
    > supported modems.. I am fairly sure that at least two of them are UPnP
    > enabled.. BellSouth may not supply them, but you could always buy one..

    Mike, I found the list, and thanks for steering me
    to it. I just received the following note from the BellSouth
    DSL Help Desk:

    The Westell modem is Plug and Play if you connect it via Ethernet. If it is
    connected via USB, then you would need to install the USB drivers.

    Well, my modem *is* connected via Ethernet. That makes it Plug and
    Play, it says. Does that mean it is "UPnP Compliant", and that I need
    not change modems?
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    MSN Messenger 6.2.0205 audio/video requirements:

    1. When using a high speed Internet connection, the modem/router MUST be
    UPnP compatible and have this option active. For MSN Messenger 6.2.0205, both
    sides must have Windows XP. Set Zone Alarm to either medium or high, but set
    it to ALLOW the MSN Messenger 6.2.0205 all access to the Internet.

    2. On the Network Connections, right click Local Area Connection, go to
    Properties, and the General tab should show a check mark only on Client for
    Microsoft Network, and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). No check on File and
    Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, nor on QoS Packet Scheduler.

    3. The Windows Firewall should be ON (recommended) and no check in Don't
    allow exceptions . The Exceptions tab will later show the MSN Messenger
    6.2.0205 and UPnP Framework as being active.

    4. In the Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > Add Remove Windows
    Components, scroll to Networking Services and remove all checks, except for
    Internet Gateway Device Discovery (A), and for UPnP User Interface (B). Click
    Ok, Next, and after clicking Next the Windows Wizard Component will run.
    Click Finish; now the UPnP will automatically open all required ports.

    5. Sign in on Messenger and run Audio/Video Tuning Wizard. In the Tools >
    Options > Connection tab, you should read You are connected to the Internet
    through a UPnP symmetric NAT. (Administrator); if you are using a dial-up
    line it will read You are connected to the Internet using a direct
    connection. Now check the Windows Firewall Exceptions list, the MSN Messenger
    6.2.0205 and UPnP Framework will now have a check marks and the required
    ports automatically opend.

    6. Both Windows XP users sides should have similar setups, with working
    webcams and microphones. Remember that one side can have dial-up and the
    other a UPnP compatible modem/router.

    (A) Allow you to find and control internet connection sharing hardware and
    software that uses UPnP.

    (B) Display icons in My Network Places for the UPnP devices detected on the
    network; also opens the required Windows Firewall ports.

    Hope this will help, it has many people with a UPnP compatible modem/router
    with ADSL line. Your friend, Efrain.

    "billurie@nospam.org" wrote:

    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > > Bill
    > >
    > > I looked at the BellSouth website and see that they have quite a list of
    > > supported modems.. I am fairly sure that at least two of them are UPnP
    > > enabled.. BellSouth may not supply them, but you could always buy one..
    > >
    > Mike, I found the list, and thanks for steering me
    > to it. I just received the following note from the BellSouth
    > DSL Help Desk:
    >
    > The Westell modem is Plug and Play if you connect it via Ethernet. If it is
    > connected via USB, then you would need to install the USB drivers.
    >
    > Well, my modem *is* connected via Ethernet. That makes it Plug and
    > Play, it says. Does that mean it is "UPnP Compliant", and that I need
    > not change modems?

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    I didn't see that any of the Westall modem/routers in their Liteline,
    Proline, nor Ultraline were UPnP protocol compatible. I told you the solution
    days ago.

    "billurie@nospam.org" wrote:

    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > > Bill
    > >
    > > I looked at the BellSouth website and see that they have quite a list of
    > > supported modems.. I am fairly sure that at least two of them are UPnP
    > > enabled.. BellSouth may not supply them, but you could always buy one..
    > >
    > Mike, I found the list, and thanks for steering me
    > to it. I just received the following note from the BellSouth
    > DSL Help Desk:
    >
    > The Westell modem is Plug and Play if you connect it via Ethernet. If it is
    > connected via USB, then you would need to install the USB drivers.
    >
    > Well, my modem *is* connected via Ethernet. That makes it Plug and
    > Play, it says. Does that mean it is "UPnP Compliant", and that I need
    > not change modems?

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    billurie@nospam.org wrote:
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >
    >> Bill
    >>
    >> I looked at the BellSouth website and see that they have quite a list
    >> of supported modems.. I am fairly sure that at least two of them are
    >> UPnP enabled.. BellSouth may not supply them, but you could always buy
    >> one..
    >>
    > Mike, I found the list, and thanks for steering me
    > to it. I just received the following note from the BellSouth
    > DSL Help Desk:
    >
    > The Westell modem is Plug and Play if you connect it via Ethernet. If
    > it is
    > connected via USB, then you would need to install the USB drivers.
    >
    > Well, my modem *is* connected via Ethernet. That makes it Plug and
    > Play, it says. Does that mean it is "UPnP Compliant", and that I need
    > not change modems?
    A day later, Mike, and I believe that the problem has been solved,
    and almost painlessly. I pinged BellSouth DSL_helpdesk, and they
    admitted that the modem in question has properties which must be
    changed to allow video and audio to go to the same PC. It has a NAT,
    and the whole business of NAT and firewall (which it resembles to
    some extent) is technical in an area which I prefer not to pursue.

    I gave them Remote Access to my PC, and they reprogrammed the modem
    (and updated it), and in short order, I have had successful, full
    Videoconference with one local party.

    My advice to others with this problem: discuss it with the tech
    support people of your ISP, and make sure that your modem and/or router
    are configured to allow video plus audio. What really broke it loose was
    a test I made, on 56K dial-up to Juno, which resulted in good video-
    conferencing. Be strong about it, and maybe my experience will have
    helped.

    Bill Lurie
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Bill

    This has been a problem for quite a while.. until modems appeared that were
    or could be UPnP enabled, it looked like combined video/audio in Windows/MSN
    Messenger, where the user was running high speed connection through a NAT
    device, was lost for ever..

    --

    > billurie@nospam.org wrote:
    >> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bill
    >>>
    >>> I looked at the BellSouth website and see that they have quite a list of
    >>> supported modems.. I am fairly sure that at least two of them are UPnP
    >>> enabled.. BellSouth may not supply them, but you could always buy one..
    >>>
    >> Mike, I found the list, and thanks for steering me
    >> to it. I just received the following note from the BellSouth
    >> DSL Help Desk:
    >>
    >> The Westell modem is Plug and Play if you connect it via Ethernet. If it
    >> is
    >> connected via USB, then you would need to install the USB drivers.
    >>
    >> Well, my modem *is* connected via Ethernet. That makes it Plug and
    >> Play, it says. Does that mean it is "UPnP Compliant", and that I need
    >> not change modems?
    > A day later, Mike, and I believe that the problem has been solved,
    > and almost painlessly. I pinged BellSouth DSL_helpdesk, and they
    > admitted that the modem in question has properties which must be
    > changed to allow video and audio to go to the same PC. It has a NAT,
    > and the whole business of NAT and firewall (which it resembles to
    > some extent) is technical in an area which I prefer not to pursue.
    >
    > I gave them Remote Access to my PC, and they reprogrammed the modem
    > (and updated it), and in short order, I have had successful, full
    > Videoconference with one local party.
    >
    > My advice to others with this problem: discuss it with the tech
    > support people of your ISP, and make sure that your modem and/or router
    > are configured to allow video plus audio. What really broke it loose was
    > a test I made, on 56K dial-up to Juno, which resulted in good video-
    > conferencing. Be strong about it, and maybe my experience will have
    > helped.
    >
    > Bill Lurie

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Well, Mike, fortunately it is alive and well, but education on how to
    implement it is not easy to come by. This newsgroup certainly seems
    to be the appropriate bulletin board on which to publish what it
    takes to make it work.

    As the record shows, I got plenty of good advice, and fortunately
    no barbs, while systematically working to isolate what was standing
    in the way. But ultimately, we hit on the idea of trying it with a
    low speed simple connection rather than the complex DSL router.
    That pinned it down, and since the modem was ISP-furnished, we
    got them to put it into a compatible mode.

    As I said, let's hope other people in this group do a search
    on 'Videoconferencing' and learn from our actions.

    ```````Bill L.

    --
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Bill

    I gave you advice re. UPnP and NAT devices (as did one or two others) when
    you started the original thread in the XP basics newsgroup..

    Dialup devices are not capable of Network Address Translation, so anybody
    using Dialup would not have asked about the problem in the first place.. I
    knew from my own experience with early ADSL/DSL/Cable and MSN/Windows
    Messenger that audio/video connection was a problem when high-speed first
    appeared.. I worked around it at the time by using Yahoo to communicate with
    my wife and kids while I worked overseas..

    Anyway, it is good that you now have what you wanted..

    --

    > Well, Mike, fortunately it is alive and well, but education on how to
    > implement it is not easy to come by. This newsgroup certainly seems
    > to be the appropriate bulletin board on which to publish what it
    > takes to make it work.
    >
    > As the record shows, I got plenty of good advice, and fortunately
    > no barbs, while systematically working to isolate what was standing
    > in the way. But ultimately, we hit on the idea of trying it with a
    > low speed simple connection rather than the complex DSL router.
    > That pinned it down, and since the modem was ISP-furnished, we
    > got them to put it into a compatible mode.
    >
    > As I said, let's hope other people in this group do a search
    > on 'Videoconferencing' and learn from our actions.
    >
    > ```````Bill L.
    >
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >> Bill
    >>
    >> This has been a problem for quite a while.. until modems appeared that
    >> were or could be UPnP enabled, it looked like combined video/audio in
    >> Windows/MSN Messenger, where the user was running high speed connection
    >> through a NAT device, was lost for ever..

Windows XP