Newbee to Networking

Hi all!

Wondering if anyone can help me, I'm new to all this networking lark!
I have a desktop in my fromt bedroom (which will always be switched on
and connected to the internet) and a laptop neither have any wireless
abilitly at the moment and the phone socket to my house is the other
side of the house.

I am about to sign up for broadband, but want to know is what I need,
to be able to use the internet and share files between both the PC and
laptop and is there any way I can run the broadband connection to the
PC from the telephone socket wirelessly as I don't fancy running the
wire about 20m.

Further to this I believe I need two wireless cards what type are
best, good value?

Many thanks

Wayne
6 answers Last reply
More about newbee networking

    wayne.davies@fsmail.net (EDO8109) wrote in

    > I am about to sign up for broadband, but want to know is what I
    > need, to be able to use the internet and share files between both
    > the PC and laptop and is there any way I can run the broadband
    > connection to the PC from the telephone socket wirelessly as I
    > don't fancy running the wire about 20m.

    That's the attraction of a wireless network. Get your self an all-in-
    one ADSL modem / router / switch / wireless device. Connect it near
    your incoming phone line, and the wireless signal will cover the
    house. Then it won't matter where your PCs are...

    Do make sure you buy a device which has an in-built ADSL modem, *not*
    just a wireless router.

    Aside: I do recommend you set up the router using a wired connection.
    Once you've done that and you're happy everything is working, you can
    go entirely wireless.

    > Further to this I believe I need two wireless cards what type are
    > best, good value?

    Any mainstream brand should be good enough (D-Link, Netgear, Linksys,
    Belkin, USR, 3Com, SMC...). Suggest you buy the same brand of
    wireless router and cards for maximum compatibility.

    I see you're in the UK. If you're looking for cost savings, don't buy
    from PC World - just use them for browsing. Buy from an on on-line
    store. For branded goods I can personally recommend eXpansys
    <http://www.expansys.com/>. If you want to go for own-label or low
    cost items at a significant saving, try eBuyer
    <http://www.ebuyer.com/>.

    Hope this helps

    --

    Richard Perkin
    To email me, change the AT in the address below

    is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
    It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

    "Richard Perkin" <f000nurdle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > wayne.davies@fsmail.net (EDO8109) wrote in
    >
    > > I am about to sign up for broadband, but want to know is what I
    > > need, to be able to use the internet and share files between both
    > > the PC and laptop and is there any way I can run the broadband
    > > connection to the PC from the telephone socket wirelessly as I
    > > don't fancy running the wire about 20m.
    >
    > That's the attraction of a wireless network. Get your self an all-in-
    > one ADSL modem / router / switch / wireless device. Connect it near
    > your incoming phone line, and the wireless signal will cover the
    > house. Then it won't matter where your PCs are...

    I'd recommend buying the modem separately, not bundled into the router.
    Getting a bundled modem locks you into ADSL. Should you ever decide to use a
    cable provider, you have to replace the entire router. Also, if the router
    becomes non-functional (say, a firmware update that backfires and leaves the
    flash corrupted, or a power surge that fries the box), the bulltin modem
    becomes a paperweight. With a separate modem, you still have internet
    connectivity via the Ethernet.

    Richard Perkin wrote:
    > I see you're in the UK. If you're looking for cost savings, don't buy
    > from PC World - just use them for browsing. Buy from an on on-line

    I marvel at pc world's prices. Some Linksys items are around 100% higher
    than you can pay by shopping around the net. Their customer support
    would have to be pretty good to justify that sort of premium :-)

    "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

    > "Richard Perkin" <f000nurdle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> wayne.davies@fsmail.net (EDO8109) wrote in

    >> That's the attraction of a wireless network. Get your self an
    >> all-in- one ADSL modem / router / switch / wireless device.
    >> Connect it near your incoming phone line, and the wireless signal
    >> will cover the house. Then it won't matter where your PCs are...

    > I'd recommend buying the modem separately, not bundled into the
    > router. Getting a bundled modem locks you into ADSL. Should you
    > ever decide to use a cable provider, you have to replace the
    > entire router. Also, if the router becomes non-functional (say, a
    > firmware update that backfires and leaves the flash corrupted, or
    > a power surge that fries the box), the bulltin modem becomes a
    > paperweight. With a separate modem, you still have internet
    > connectivity via the Ethernet.

    I agree that's a better design solution to have separate boxes.

    But the total cost of separate boxes can be significant - probably
    because the cost of a single circuit board + single power supply for
    an all-in-one box is much cheaper.

    Personally I have found it to be cheaper to buy new and sell
    yesterday's model on eBay to offset the cost. But it's cost
    considerations which have influenced me in this, rather than
    design...

    Hope this helps

    --

    On 12 Jul 2004 10:31:00 GMT, Richard Perkin <f000nurdle@hotmail.com>
    wrote:
    >I agree that's a better design solution to have separate boxes.

    I also have a distaste for all-in-one boxes. However, they do have an
    interesting advantage. I like to monitor the DSL line conditions from
    the modem (using MRTG). Cayman and Netopia do this nicely in one box.
    However, with seperate boxes, I have to setup a static route in the
    router to the IP address of the DSL modem. Some cheap routers either
    don't have a static route feature, or it's broken. For
    troubleshooting, I carry around a 10barfT hub (not switch) to connect
    between the modem and the router to be able to login and monitor the
    modem. In any case, monitoring is much more difficult and messy than
    in an integrated unit.

    >Personally I have found it to be cheaper to buy new and sell
    >yesterday's model on eBay to offset the cost. But it's cost
    >considerations which have influenced me in this, rather than
    >design...

    Same here. I buy DSL modem/bridge boxes and routers on eBay for about
    $35-$50/ea and sell them at cost to my customers. So far, one lemon
    (what did I expect for $15) out of about 30 modems and perhaps 20
    routers.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    > "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
    >

    > > "Richard Perkin" <f000nurdle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> wayne.davies@fsmail.net (EDO8109) wrote in
    >
    > >> That's the attraction of a wireless network. Get your self an
    > >> all-in- one ADSL modem / router / switch / wireless device.
    > >> Connect it near your incoming phone line, and the wireless signal
    > >> will cover the house. Then it won't matter where your PCs are...
    >
    > > I'd recommend buying the modem separately, not bundled into the
    > > router. Getting a bundled modem locks you into ADSL. Should you
    > > ever decide to use a cable provider, you have to replace the
    > > entire router. Also, if the router becomes non-functional (say, a
    > > firmware update that backfires and leaves the flash corrupted, or
    > > a power surge that fries the box), the bulltin modem becomes a
    > > paperweight. With a separate modem, you still have internet
    > > connectivity via the Ethernet.
    >
    > I agree that's a better design solution to have separate boxes.
    >
    > But the total cost of separate boxes can be significant - probably
    > because the cost of a single circuit board + single power supply for
    > an all-in-one box is much cheaper.

    That's true. I did a quick check, and it looks like the Speedstream 5100
    (cable or DSL) is retailing around $100. On the other, I saw thirty-plus
    Speedstreams offered on EBay. Two of them were offered at fixed prices of
    $50 and $40, although the highest fixed price was around $75. The bids for
    auctioned units were averaging well under $20.

    I think you can get a good deal if you're willing to look. Also, if you
    switch from ADSL to cable, you can always sell your old modem on EBay and
    recover some of the cost. In the end, it does cost more, but I don't think
    it has to break the bank.

    > Personally I have found it to be cheaper to buy new and sell
    > yesterday's model on eBay to offset the cost. But it's cost
    > considerations which have influenced me in this, rather than
    > design...
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > --
    >
    > Richard Perkin
    > To email me, change the AT in the address below
    > richard.perkinATmyrealbox.com
    >
    > It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it
    > is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
    > It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
    > -- Oxford University Press, Edpress News

Networking Internet Wireless Networking