Windows Messenger signs in when I open Outlook Express

I am soon moving to a new job, and at my present one I am having problems
with Windows Messenger signing in when I open Outlook Express. This is the
mail program that we use here, and when someone new takes over this computer,
I don't want them opening their email and getting my messenger.

I probably saved my password to open messenger without it. Is there a way
that I can delete this password or disable Windows Messenger totaly so that
it doesn't sign in automaticly? TIA.

Brian
3 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger signs open outlook express

    Greetings Brian,

    To stop Windows Messenger from starting with Outlook Express, close Outlook Express, then
    download and run the following .reg file:
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg

    To remove the saved Passport in Messenger (and XP), click the Start Button, then click the
    Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select your account name, and
    then on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network
    Passwords'. In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry and click
    'Remove'.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am soon moving to a new job, and at my present one I am having problems
    > with Windows Messenger signing in when I open Outlook Express. This is the
    > mail program that we use here, and when someone new takes over this computer,
    > I don't want them opening their email and getting my messenger.
    >
    > I probably saved my password to open messenger without it. Is there a way
    > that I can delete this password or disable Windows Messenger totaly so that
    > it doesn't sign in automaticly? TIA.
    >
    > Brian

    Thank you Jonathan. This helped immensly.

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings Brian,
    >
    > To stop Windows Messenger from starting with Outlook Express, close Outlook Express, then
    > download and run the following .reg file:
    > http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
    >
    > To remove the saved Passport in Messenger (and XP), click the Start Button, then click the
    > Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select your account name, and
    > then on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network
    > Passwords'. In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry and click
    > 'Remove'.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am soon moving to a new job, and at my present one I am having problems
    > > with Windows Messenger signing in when I open Outlook Express. This is the
    > > mail program that we use here, and when someone new takes over this computer,
    > > I don't want them opening their email and getting my messenger.
    > >
    > > I probably saved my password to open messenger without it. Is there a way
    > > that I can delete this password or disable Windows Messenger totaly so that
    > > it doesn't sign in automaticly? TIA.
    > >
    > > Brian

    Hi Brian,

    Glad to be of assistance :)

    > Thank you Jonathan. This helped immensly.
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings Brian,
    >>
    >> To stop Windows Messenger from starting with Outlook Express, close Outlook Express, then
    >> download and run the following .reg file:
    >> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
    >>
    >> To remove the saved Passport in Messenger (and XP), click the Start Button, then click the
    >> Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select your account name,
    >> and
    >> then on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click 'Manage my Network
    >> Passwords'. In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport) entry and click
    >> 'Remove'.
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
    >>
    >> "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am soon moving to a new job, and at my present one I am having problems
    >> > with Windows Messenger signing in when I open Outlook Express. This is the
    >> > mail program that we use here, and when someone new takes over this computer,
    >> > I don't want them opening their email and getting my messenger.
    >> >
    >> > I probably saved my password to open messenger without it. Is there a way
    >> > that I can delete this password or disable Windows Messenger totaly so that
    >> > it doesn't sign in automaticly? TIA.
    >> >
    >> > Brian

Outlook Express Messenger Windows XP