Sign in with
Your question

Soyo Dragon+ E-Box

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2002 6:40:45 AM

What is the purpose of the smart card reader on the E-Box that comes with the Dragon +? Is it useless for a home user?

<A HREF="http://www.soyousa.com/zbox.html" target="_new">http://www.soyousa.com/zbox.html&lt;/A>

Where the hell is the power botton on this damned thing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by IndyMage on 02/20/02 03:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : soyo dragon box

February 20, 2002 10:55:19 AM

It allow to write or read smart card used in some phone, satellite receiver or for security pass.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2002 1:28:43 PM

Can anyone shed more light on this?
Where can you buy blank media?
What types of devices are being used with the media?
Is anyone actually using this thing in the US?

The Sigma-Box comes with one empty (no chip) smart card. Not very smart at that point.

Soyo's site is painfully lacking on detail for this product. If I understand correctly, smartcards are much more common place in Europe, and Japan than they are in the US. Somthing to do with Patent Law as I recall.
Related resources
February 20, 2002 7:54:00 PM

I'm not using the smart card reader, but I really like the fact that I have 2 USB in front of my computer instead of always going under my desk and behind my computer to plug USB device.

just for that, it worth it. So forget about the smart card, take that as a bonus that you dont have with other board.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 21, 2002 12:08:51 AM

The reader/writer is basically useless as it is now. It can edit GSM phone books on some cell phones but not function like a true smart card device.

Soyo leaves out the fact that the manufacturer of the device ITE does not have any drivers for the device available.
Blank smart cards can be purchased for about 7-8.00 each but without a pc/sc compliant driver its a pointless extra.
!