Has anyone installed a mobo/chip THIS way??

dukeofcrydee

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I heard a tip recently on how you can upgrade your mobo & processor, WITHOUT having to re-install the OS.

Normally we all know that you can't just change the mobo/processor & turn the computer back on. Windows will freak. A format of the HD and a reinstall of the OS is the only solution for a clean running computer.

This new tip I heard however sounds like it *might* work. Basically you...

1) Boot up, go to Control Panel>Systems and remove all entries for the motherboard.
2) Shutdown and upgrade the mobo/processor & boot back up.
3) Windows should see nothing for a mobo & processor & auto-install the new mobo/processor combination fresh.

So, my questions are:

1) Has anyone tried this? If so, please give details on outcome
2) Even if you have not tried this, do you see any pitfalls in doing this that would result in a less than stable outcome?

Thanks,
Duke

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
I do it for 90% of the upgrades I do at work here. Most people dont want to lose data. And 99% of the time they dont, same with viruses. But I do the safemode and delete entries after the upgrade on 1st boot

Blame the newbies not the technology

dukeofcrydee

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
<<But I do the safemode and delete entries after the upgrade on 1st boot>>

Sweet. I'm glad to hear this method works! However i'm curious as to why you wait until after the upgrade to delete entries. Wouldn't the old mobo entries be overwriten by the new mobo after you boot post-upgrade?

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Not if you do it on first boot
I always do it after because it is faster. I mean you call it an upgrade for a reason so I use the faster hw

dukeofcrydee

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
And all of the systems you do this for at work run 100% the same as they did before (stability wise)

Sorry if i'm repeating my question, but i'm just extremely excited about this because I H-A-T-E reinstalling the OS, programs, settings, etc.. etc.. :)

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Yup pretty much, just update drivers and make sure you have the cab files on the hard drive before the upgrade because windows will ask for the os cd if its 95/98

dukeofcrydee

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I'm going to be swapping out the mobo/chip of an XP Professional box. Do I need CAB files on the HD still? If so, do I need to put them someplace specific?

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
put them anywhere u want, just remember where.
Sometimes with XP you will need the CD. I needed it for my dvd decoder card

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'm getting my i850 board (to replace my dead KT133a), I'll try it and let you know my success. I've never tried this before, so it should give you a good indication of how easy it is.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've done it about 5 times. Once it didn't work. Windows had trouble detecting the system devices. Went into a loop redetecting the same devices over and over again. I think I had problems because Windows couldn't yet see my CD-ROM. (Just make sure you have all your drivers and the Windows CAB files on your hard drive). I restored a backup copy of the Registry, booted to safe mode, and just did the process over again. It worked that time. That was with Windows 98SE (the only OS I use). Beats a clean install, numerous software installs, and patches up the ying yang, especially those Microsoft updates that you have to download every time.

You do need to install chipset drivers.

If it doesn't work you have only lost a little time. The clean install option is still available to you.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

Oct_7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
Sigh,

I guess I got the exception case. I tried the method, but failed. :(. When I booted to safe mode, I got error and could not proceed. So, I install a fresh win2k. :(. Any, at least my mobo works again. hehehe, after reset the cmos. :).

Thanks and good luck for other who want to try

[] [_] [--

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Just make sure you delete everything in device manager except plug and play bios under system devices. As a matter of fact I am doing it right now as I type an upgrade from PII 400 to XP1800

dukeofcrydee

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Thanks for the tip on the Plug & Play BIOS...would suck to boot up with the OS crippled in detecting anything :)

But you sparked another question...you say everything BUT that. Now do you mean to delete even the stuff you are keeping?

I thought all you would have to do is delete everything that will be "new" on the next boot up.

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I also noted that no one mentioned about it being helpful to load new drivers onto the hard drive BEFORE swapping. I had to do a full reinstall of a W98SE system for my nephew when I upgraded his PII/BX combo to a PIII/815E combo. There were no drivers for the IDE on W98, and I could not access the CD-ROM no matter what I tried.

Intel = Ford
AMD = Chevy
Friends don't let friends drive Fords

Oct_7

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
Hmmm, this is my understanding from ur previous posts.

1. Save the cab files.
2. Change the mobo & other things.
3. Boot the new system
4. Go to the safe mode.
5. Delete the things under device manager.

My problem is, I even could not go to safe mode. After I chose to go to safe mode, I got error said that I have changed the devices. Dunno what's wrong though. BTW, I also want to make a correction, I didn't install a fresh OS, but repair it. I hope that it wont cause any problem.

Thanks anyway for the advice. :). Maybe next time I can get it right.

[] [_] [--

AMD_cErTiFiEd

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Generally yes because IRQ's are routed and assigned differently from chipset to chipset. I say leave plug and play bios because if you delete it, your new setup wont detect the new hw and you will be stuck running the add new hardware wizard. Especially NIC card should be removed so that it saves doubles from popping up in network neighbourhood