Reinstalling OS on Inspiron

Greetings,

I am going to reinstall the OS on my Inspiron 6000. I have the Dell
Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 disk and
the Dell Inspiron Drivers and Utilities disk that includes Device drivers
and Diagnostics and Utilities.

After I install Windows XP with SP2 and the Drivers and Utilities disk is
there any other drivers I need to install. In other words, will I need to go
on to the Dell Support site and seek out any other downloads to install so
that the system works correctly?

Thank you in advance for your comments, help, and insight.

Leigh
9 answers Last reply
More about reinstalling inspiron

    Dell Software Reinstall Guide for Inspiron 6000
    http://tinyurl.com/9jqco

    Ted Zieglar

    "Leigh" <lrcite@yaboohoowho.net> wrote in message news:YasTe.10104$UE2.900@tornado.socal.rr.com...
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I am going to reinstall the OS on my Inspiron 6000. I have the Dell
    > Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 disk and
    > the Dell Inspiron Drivers and Utilities disk that includes Device drivers
    > and Diagnostics and Utilities.
    >
    > After I install Windows XP with SP2 and the Drivers and Utilities disk is
    > there any other drivers I need to install. In other words, will I need to go
    > on to the Dell Support site and seek out any other downloads to install so
    > that the system works correctly?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your comments, help, and insight.
    >
    > Leigh

    there is a folder on your hard drive call, drivers, copy them to a cd.
    These are the drivers specific to your machine.
    when you reinstall the OS and some device doesn't work
    go into device manager for the specific device and use the disk
    to update your drivers for that device.

    "Leigh" <lrcite@yaboohoowho.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I am going to reinstall the OS on my Inspiron 6000. I have the Dell
    > Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 disk
    > and the Dell Inspiron Drivers and Utilities disk that includes Device
    > drivers and Diagnostics and Utilities.
    >
    > After I install Windows XP with SP2 and the Drivers and Utilities disk is
    > there any other drivers I need to install. In other words, will I need to
    > go on to the Dell Support site and seek out any other downloads to install
    > so that the system works correctly?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your comments, help, and insight.
    >
    > Leigh

    Leigh,
    Once you get all the OS & drivers installed, from the CD's that Dell provided to you. And you have installed or turned on the firewall for your laptop. You should the following.

    1. Go to Windows Update and install all the updates for XP SP2. Do Not install Hardware drivers, that may be offered by MS, but make a note of what they are offering, including version #, such as video, modem, network drivers, etc...
    a. If you have MS Office or Works Suite bundled software, it might be good to install it now, then go to the MS Office site, and install any updates that are available for those products.

    2. If MS offered say a video upgrade, go to the Dell site and see what video upgrade that they are offering, and install it. This goes for any other drivers that are there.
    a. You may want to check the manufacturer's website and see if there is any updates for their hardware. But use common sense, if things are working fine with your laptop, it might be better not upgrade, until you really need it.

    3. After installing any "bundled" software that came with the Dell CD's, look for any upgrades/patches that might be available from Dell.

    4. If you have some external hardware such as a printer, scanner, digital camera, microphone, etc... You should check their sites, and see if there are any upgrade drivers for their hardware, or updates/patches for the software that originally came with it.

    5. Go to the website of any software that you plan to reinstall on your laptop, and see if that there are any upgrades for it, especially your security type programs, such as antivirus, firewall, spyware, etc...

    6. This may be the perfect time to review the software that you plan to reinstall on your laptop. If it is a program the you really don't use alot, or not at all. Consider not reinstalling it at this time, until you really need it.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    "Leigh" <lrcite@yaboohoowho.net> wrote in message news:YasTe.10104$UE2.900@tornado.socal.rr.com...
    Greetings,

    I am going to reinstall the OS on my Inspiron 6000. I have the Dell
    Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 disk and
    the Dell Inspiron Drivers and Utilities disk that includes Device drivers
    and Diagnostics and Utilities.

    After I install Windows XP with SP2 and the Drivers and Utilities disk is
    there any other drivers I need to install. In other words, will I need to go
    on to the Dell Support site and seek out any other downloads to install so
    that the system works correctly?

    Thank you in advance for your comments, help, and insight.

    Leigh

    BigJim,

    Thanks.

    I did not think about the fact that the drivers may be out of date on
    the CD that Dell sent to me.

    Leigh

    Rich/rerat,

    Thank you for your comments. I appreciate this information. This will be
    very helpful.

    Leigh

    "RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote in message
[...]

    Ted,

    Thank you for your help. I appreciate the reference to that site.

    Leigh

    Dell Software Reinstall Guide for Inspiron 6000
    http://tinyurl.com/9jqco

    Ted Zieglar

    "Leigh" <lrcite@yaboohoowho.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I am going to reinstall the OS on my Inspiron 6000. I have the Dell
    > Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 disk
    > and
    > the Dell Inspiron Drivers and Utilities disk that includes Device drivers
    > and Diagnostics and Utilities.
    >
    > After I install Windows XP with SP2 and the Drivers and Utilities disk is
    > there any other drivers I need to install. In other words, will I need to
    > go
    > on to the Dell Support site and seek out any other downloads to install so
    > that the system works correctly?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your comments, help, and insight.
    >
    > Leigh

    BigJim,

    Thank you for your comment. What is the difference between the drivers that
    are in a folder on my hard drive and the drivers that are on a disk Dell
    sent to me that is labeled Dell Inspiron Drivers and Utilities disk that
    includes Device drivers and Diagnostics and Utilities.

    Thanks again for your help and comments.

    Leigh

    "BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > there is a folder on your hard drive call, drivers, copy them to a cd.
    > These are the drivers specific to your machine.
    > when you reinstall the OS and some device doesn't work
    > go into device manager for the specific device and use the disk
    > to update your drivers for that device.
    >
    > "Leigh" <lrcite@yaboohoowho.net> wrote in message
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> I am going to reinstall the OS on my Inspiron 6000. I have the Dell
    >> Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 disk
    >> and the Dell Inspiron Drivers and Utilities disk that includes Device
    >> drivers and Diagnostics and Utilities.
    >>
    >> After I install Windows XP with SP2 and the Drivers and Utilities disk is
    >> there any other drivers I need to install. In other words, will I need to
    >> go on to the Dell Support site and seek out any other downloads to
    >> install so that the system works correctly?
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance for your comments, help, and insight.
    >>
    >> Leigh

    you will find out as I did that the disk my not be up to date as the drivers
    on your hard drive.

    > BigJim,
    >
    > Thank you for your comment. What is the difference between the drivers
    > that are in a folder on my hard drive and the drivers that are on a disk
    > Dell sent to me that is labeled Dell Inspiron Drivers and Utilities disk
    > that includes Device drivers and Diagnostics and Utilities.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help and comments.
    >
    > Leigh
    >

    > "BigJIm" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> there is a folder on your hard drive call, drivers, copy them to a cd.
    >> These are the drivers specific to your machine.
    >> when you reinstall the OS and some device doesn't work
    >> go into device manager for the specific device and use the disk
    >> to update your drivers for that device.
    >>
    >> "Leigh" <lrcite@yaboohoowho.net> wrote in message
    >>> Greetings,
    >>>
    >>> I am going to reinstall the OS on my Inspiron 6000. I have the Dell
    >>> Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 disk
    >>> and the Dell Inspiron Drivers and Utilities disk that includes Device
    >>> drivers and Diagnostics and Utilities.
    >>>
    >>> After I install Windows XP with SP2 and the Drivers and Utilities disk
    >>> is there any other drivers I need to install. In other words, will I
    >>> need to go on to the Dell Support site and seek out any other downloads
    >>> to install so that the system works correctly?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you in advance for your comments, help, and insight.
    >>>
    >>> Leigh

    "Leigh" <lrcite@yaboohoowho.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I am going to reinstall the OS on my Inspiron 6000. I have the Dell
    > Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 disk
    > and the Dell Inspiron Drivers and Utilities disk that includes Device
    > drivers and Diagnostics and Utilities.
    >
    > After I install Windows XP with SP2 and the Drivers and Utilities disk is
    > there any other drivers I need to install. In other words, will I need to
    > go on to the Dell Support site and seek out any other downloads to install
    > so that the system works correctly?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your comments, help, and insight.
    >
    > Leigh

    Thank you to those who contributed to my post. I successfully completed
    reinstalling my software with Dell's OS disk and Dell's drivers and
    utilities.

    Thanks again,

    Leigh

Dell Drivers Inspiron Computers