Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 upgrade no internet

Last response: in Windows 7
August 8, 2010 3:27:34 AM

Hello,
I have an Acer Veriton M410. I upgraded to Windows 7, and it can't find my (wired) router or set up a local internet connection. I'm right now using my wife's computer on the same router, no problem.

It says I have an invalid IP address. Everything worked fine before upgrading.
a b $ Windows 7
August 9, 2010 12:08:29 AM

With the computers powered-on, disconnect the power to the modem and to the router. Wait 10-30 seconds and re-connect the power to the modem, and after all the lights become steady, re-connect the power to the router. This works for us on W7, Vista,and XP, when the kids come to visit and can't reconnect to the secured wireless home network.
August 9, 2010 2:12:54 AM

What is the Ip address that you are getting...

You might have to check if the drivers for the network adapter has been installed first. if that is the case

Are you getting 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address??
Related resources
August 9, 2010 5:50:30 AM

for the ipv4 I'm getting 169.254.199.227
I was expecting to get something like 192.168.1.3, which would be in line with the IP addresses assigned by my router.

Speaking of router...I found a Microsoft site with a router diagnostic that failed on the router compatibility. I got a new router at Best Buy, but amazingly enough the salesman actually seemed to know something. He said, "How long since you've upgraded the firmware in the router?" (ans: never). I upgraded and then it passed the online test with flying colors. Fixed. Right? Wrong! Still, Win7 doesn't work.
a b $ Windows 7
August 9, 2010 6:22:07 AM

You might have to install your internet drivers since you done an upgrade.

Some time it is required after an upgrade.

Go in device manager if your internet device has a warning sign by it, that is the problem.
August 9, 2010 6:53:26 AM

The device manager says the ethernet card is working fine.

Another question I had was cables. I switched them around with no improvement. (The one I am successfully using here with my laptop would not fix the problem with my upgraded computer.)
a b $ Windows 7
August 9, 2010 12:25:22 PM

davidschandler said:
The device manager says the ethernet card is working fine.

Another question I had was cables. I switched them around with no improvement. (The one I am successfully using here with my laptop would not fix the problem with my upgraded computer.)

It is not likely the cables (unless there is obvious damage to the connectors or insulation). Windows often establishes the ip address as 169.xxx.x.x., which shows as connected, but with limited connectivty. I don't know why, it just does it. You are correct to look for 192.168.x.x. If you haven't solved it yet:
-- Turn-off the computer.
-- Disconnect the power to the modem.
-- Disconnect power to the router.
-- Wait 30 secs to 1 minute.
-- Re-connect power to the modem, wait for the lights to stop flashing.
-- Re-connect power to the router.
-- Re-start your computer.
August 19, 2010 1:51:38 AM

Here's the final outcome: I took it in to a shop that seems reasonably reputable and they recommended restoring Windows XP, which they did. Their suspicion is that there are fundamental hardware incompatibilities between Windows 7 and the chip set. Everything's working fine again. No add-on ethernet card required, no add-on audio card required. I am sending this message from the computer in question.

Thanks for your suggestions.
a b $ Windows 7
August 19, 2010 4:12:04 AM

Glad you got it working. Sounds like reputable techs, and you are up and running again!
!