Jonathan Kay, can you please assist

Hello Jonathan,

I build and repair computer (many, many hundreds since Windows XP came out)
and seldom ever post here for my own assistance. I have an ongoing
problem/condition with one computer. Comically, it is one of my own.

Using Windows Messenger, any version (I am presently using ver 5.1.0639)
Messenger steadfastly refuses to update the "presence" of anyone on my
contact list. I constantly have to log off/log on to see who is really on
line.

If I fail to do this, many times, but not every time, my typed message will
fail to go through and messenger tells me I am NOT logged on!

This is very exasperating as I use messenger to keep in contact with my
clients, to assist with the many small problems that pop up on their
computers. Yet, I can't get my own problem put to bed.

I have Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all current Windows Updates
applied. I am using ZoneAlarm Professional behind a Linksys router (BEFSX41)
with the latest firmware upgrade.

If I log off/log on I can do anything (file transfer, audio, video etc.)
until the problem again presents itself. It may be good for 2-3 hours or it
may only last a couple of minutes.

Do you have any ideas as to what I should look for, or links to websites
that may be of assistance in this problem. I am really against a wall here.

Thank you for your assistance!

Richard

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Richard

I have exactly the same problem.. I have yet to find a way around it..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Hello Jonathan,
>
> I build and repair computer (many, many hundreds since Windows XP came
> out) and seldom ever post here for my own assistance. I have an ongoing
> problem/condition with one computer. Comically, it is one of my own.
>
> Using Windows Messenger, any version (I am presently using ver 5.1.0639)
> Messenger steadfastly refuses to update the "presence" of anyone on my
> contact list. I constantly have to log off/log on to see who is really on
> line.
>
> If I fail to do this, many times, but not every time, my typed message
> will fail to go through and messenger tells me I am NOT logged on!
>
> This is very exasperating as I use messenger to keep in contact with my
> clients, to assist with the many small problems that pop up on their
> computers. Yet, I can't get my own problem put to bed.
>
> I have Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all current Windows Updates
> applied. I am using ZoneAlarm Professional behind a Linksys router
> (BEFSX41) with the latest firmware upgrade.
>
> If I log off/log on I can do anything (file transfer, audio, video etc.)
> until the problem again presents itself. It may be good for 2-3 hours or
> it may only last a couple of minutes.
>
> Do you have any ideas as to what I should look for, or links to websites
> that may be of assistance in this problem. I am really against a wall
> here.
>
> Thank you for your assistance!
>
> Richard
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

I think I am going to roll back my second O/S to just the base install using
SP2 to see if it works without any other software installed. It just may be
a software conflict. Then I can boot into the system and if all is well I
will proceed from there, installing remaining Windows Updates, Utilities and
programs - one at a time with sufficient testing afterward. Hell, it may
take me a month to find out which software is causing a conflict.

If it doesn't even work correctly with SP2 I will then clean install from my
3 year old install CD withing nothing added but what I need to make the OS
work.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Richard
>
> I have exactly the same problem.. I have yet to find a way around it..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

>> Hello Jonathan,
>>
>> I build and repair computer (many, many hundreds since Windows XP came
>> out) and seldom ever post here for my own assistance. I have an ongoing
>> problem/condition with one computer. Comically, it is one of my own.
>>
>> Using Windows Messenger, any version (I am presently using ver 5.1.0639)
>> Messenger steadfastly refuses to update the "presence" of anyone on my
>> contact list. I constantly have to log off/log on to see who is really on
>> line.
>>
>> If I fail to do this, many times, but not every time, my typed message
>> will fail to go through and messenger tells me I am NOT logged on!
>>
>> This is very exasperating as I use messenger to keep in contact with my
>> clients, to assist with the many small problems that pop up on their
>> computers. Yet, I can't get my own problem put to bed.
>>
>> I have Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all current Windows Updates
>> applied. I am using ZoneAlarm Professional behind a Linksys router
>> (BEFSX41) with the latest firmware upgrade.
>>
>> If I log off/log on I can do anything (file transfer, audio, video etc.)
>> until the problem again presents itself. It may be good for 2-3 hours or
>> it may only last a couple of minutes.
>>
>> Do you have any ideas as to what I should look for, or links to websites
>> that may be of assistance in this problem. I am really against a wall
>> here.
>>
>> Thank you for your assistance!
>>
>> Richard
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Richard

I have monitored it today, and so far it has remained logged on.. I am not
entirely convinced that it is a local problem.. if it was, I would expect it
to go down all of the time, but it doesn't.. it is an entirely random
event..

Out here on the perimeter of the Ottawa Valley, we still have to rely on
dialup (or get satellite), and I have a feeling that the problem lies with
the ISP.. maybe losing connectivity with the .NET server..

Bell Sympatico are presently attempting to upgrade everywhere to high-speed,
but it is taking time.. in the meantime, I have no doubt that they are
cutting back on the hardware that supports us..

The flowchart used by Bell Sympatico support staff comes up with two
solutions.. re-install Windows (the old and trusted route), or convert to
Bell ExpressVU..

Q. Will it get over my problems..
A. I will just go and ask my supervisor.. (irritating music)

Q. Is it true that my telephone line will still be tied up while online..
A. I will just go and ask my supervisor.. (irritating music)

Q. Is it true that the download limit per month is less than any other
high-speed service in Canada
A. I will just go and ask my supervisor.. (irritating music)

Q. Will I be able to get all of my favourite Cable channels..
A. Yes, I think so, but will check with my supervisor.. (irritating music)

Q. Can I talk to somebody who knows..
A. I will go and ask my supervisor.. (irritating music).. Hello, sir.. its
me again (question answered)

Obviously, only the supervisor has a flowchart for Bell ExpressVU..

The best part is that Sympatico have teamed up with MSN, which is when I
noticed the .NET service having a problem..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

>I think I am going to roll back my second O/S to just the base install
>using SP2 to see if it works without any other software installed. It just
>may be a software conflict. Then I can boot into the system and if all is
>well I will proceed from there, installing remaining Windows Updates,
>Utilities and programs - one at a time with sufficient testing afterward.
>Hell, it may take me a month to find out which software is causing a
>conflict.
>
> If it doesn't even work correctly with SP2 I will then clean install from
> my 3 year old install CD withing nothing added but what I need to make the
> OS work.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Richard
>>
>> I have exactly the same problem.. I have yet to find a way around it..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello Jonathan,
>>>
>>> I build and repair computer (many, many hundreds since Windows XP came
>>> out) and seldom ever post here for my own assistance. I have an ongoing
>>> problem/condition with one computer. Comically, it is one of my own.
>>>
>>> Using Windows Messenger, any version (I am presently using ver 5.1.0639)
>>> Messenger steadfastly refuses to update the "presence" of anyone on my
>>> contact list. I constantly have to log off/log on to see who is really
>>> on line.
>>>
>>> If I fail to do this, many times, but not every time, my typed message
>>> will fail to go through and messenger tells me I am NOT logged on!
>>>
>>> This is very exasperating as I use messenger to keep in contact with my
>>> clients, to assist with the many small problems that pop up on their
>>> computers. Yet, I can't get my own problem put to bed.
>>>
>>> I have Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all current Windows Updates
>>> applied. I am using ZoneAlarm Professional behind a Linksys router
>>> (BEFSX41) with the latest firmware upgrade.
>>>
>>> If I log off/log on I can do anything (file transfer, audio, video etc.)
>>> until the problem again presents itself. It may be good for 2-3 hours or
>>> it may only last a couple of minutes.
>>>
>>> Do you have any ideas as to what I should look for, or links to websites
>>> that may be of assistance in this problem. I am really against a wall
>>> here.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your assistance!
>>>
>>> Richard
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

Greetings Richard,

Have you tried using MSN Messenger instead as it has a completely different way of staying
online (not to mention, Linksys firmware doesn't mess with it like the older protocol in
Windows Messenger):
http://messenger.msn.com/Download
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> Hello Jonathan,
>
> I build and repair computer (many, many hundreds since Windows XP came out) and seldom ever
> post here for my own assistance. I have an ongoing problem/condition with one computer.
> Comically, it is one of my own.
>
> Using Windows Messenger, any version (I am presently using ver 5.1.0639) Messenger
> steadfastly refuses to update the "presence" of anyone on my contact list. I constantly
> have to log off/log on to see who is really on line.
>
> If I fail to do this, many times, but not every time, my typed message will fail to go
> through and messenger tells me I am NOT logged on!
>
> This is very exasperating as I use messenger to keep in contact with my clients, to assist
> with the many small problems that pop up on their computers. Yet, I can't get my own
> problem put to bed.
>
> I have Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all current Windows Updates applied. I am using
> ZoneAlarm Professional behind a Linksys router (BEFSX41) with the latest firmware upgrade.
>
> If I log off/log on I can do anything (file transfer, audio, video etc.) until the problem
> again presents itself. It may be good for 2-3 hours or it may only last a couple of
> minutes.
>
> Do you have any ideas as to what I should look for, or links to websites that may be of
> assistance in this problem. I am really against a wall here.
>
> Thank you for your assistance!
>
> Richard
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

I have, till this point, stayed with Windows Messenger because that is what
is designed for the O/S. If I were to switch to MSN Messenger, which version
should I investigate and can you supply a quick link for it (if it is not
the current version)?

Thanks!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Greetings Richard,
>
> Have you tried using MSN Messenger instead as it has a completely
> different way of staying online (not to mention, Linksys firmware doesn't
> mess with it like the older protocol in Windows Messenger):
> http://messenger.msn.com/Download
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert

>> Hello Jonathan,
>>
>> I build and repair computer (many, many hundreds since Windows XP came
>> out) and seldom ever post here for my own assistance. I have an ongoing
>> problem/condition with one computer. Comically, it is one of my own.
>>
>> Using Windows Messenger, any version (I am presently using ver 5.1.0639)
>> Messenger steadfastly refuses to update the "presence" of anyone on my
>> contact list. I constantly have to log off/log on to see who is really on
>> line.
>>
>> If I fail to do this, many times, but not every time, my typed message
>> will fail to go through and messenger tells me I am NOT logged on!
>>
>> This is very exasperating as I use messenger to keep in contact with my
>> clients, to assist with the many small problems that pop up on their
>> computers. Yet, I can't get my own problem put to bed.
>>
>> I have Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all current Windows Updates
>> applied. I am using ZoneAlarm Professional behind a Linksys router
>> (BEFSX41) with the latest firmware upgrade.
>>
>> If I log off/log on I can do anything (file transfer, audio, video etc.)
>> until the problem again presents itself. It may be good for 2-3 hours or
>> it may only last a couple of minutes.
>>
>> Do you have any ideas as to what I should look for, or links to websites
>> that may be of assistance in this problem. I am really against a wall
>> here.
>>
>> Thank you for your assistance!
>>
>> Richard
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

I am having the exact same issue, I look forward to following this post for
help. I wish I could be more helpful. Thanks

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> I have, till this point, stayed with Windows Messenger because that is what
> is designed for the O/S. If I were to switch to MSN Messenger, which version
> should I investigate and can you supply a quick link for it (if it is not
> the current version)?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings Richard,
> >
> > Have you tried using MSN Messenger instead as it has a completely
> > different way of staying online (not to mention, Linksys firmware doesn't
> > mess with it like the older protocol in Windows Messenger):
> > http://messenger.msn.com/Download
> > Jonathan Kay
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
> > Associate Expert
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> > Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> > All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
> > You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
> >
> > "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello Jonathan,
> >>
> >> I build and repair computer (many, many hundreds since Windows XP came
> >> out) and seldom ever post here for my own assistance. I have an ongoing
> >> problem/condition with one computer. Comically, it is one of my own.
> >>
> >> Using Windows Messenger, any version (I am presently using ver 5.1.0639)
> >> Messenger steadfastly refuses to update the "presence" of anyone on my
> >> contact list. I constantly have to log off/log on to see who is really on
> >> line.
> >>
> >> If I fail to do this, many times, but not every time, my typed message
> >> will fail to go through and messenger tells me I am NOT logged on!
> >>
> >> This is very exasperating as I use messenger to keep in contact with my
> >> clients, to assist with the many small problems that pop up on their
> >> computers. Yet, I can't get my own problem put to bed.
> >>
> >> I have Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all current Windows Updates
> >> applied. I am using ZoneAlarm Professional behind a Linksys router
> >> (BEFSX41) with the latest firmware upgrade.
> >>
> >> If I log off/log on I can do anything (file transfer, audio, video etc.)
> >> until the problem again presents itself. It may be good for 2-3 hours or
> >> it may only last a couple of minutes.
> >>
> >> Do you have any ideas as to what I should look for, or links to websites
> >> that may be of assistance in this problem. I am really against a wall
> >> here.
> >>
> >> Thank you for your assistance!
> >>
> >> Richard
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard Urban
> >>
> >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
> >>
> >> If you knew as much as you think you know,
> >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b5bfaee-4bfa-42bf-a42e-417d748cefa1&DisplayLang=en

this will link to MSN Messenger 6.2.0205. The Windows XP has a Repair Option
that reinstall XP but leave all your software untouch, which is good and not
like the HD reformat, Download of all Windows Updates is required, but if you
purchased the Service Pack 2 CD, all it takes is a few hours.
"Richard Urban" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> I have Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all current Windows Updates
> >> applied. I am using ZoneAlarm Professional behind a Linksys router
> >> (BEFSX41) with the latest firmware upgrade.
> >>
> >> If I log off/log on I can do anything (file transfer, audio, video etc.)
> >> until the problem again presents itself. It may be good for 2-3 hours or
> >> it may only last a couple of minutes.
> >>
> >> Do you have any ideas as to what I should look for, or links to websites
> >> that may be of assistance in this problem. I am really against a wall
> >> here.
> >>
> >> Thank you for your assistance!
> >>
> >> Richard
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard Urban
> >>
> >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
> >>
> >> If you knew as much as you think you know,
> >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

Over the last two days, having changed nothing at all, Windows Messenger has
maintained the contact list and has remained in logged on state..

I still think that my ISP loses connectivity with the .NET server, and that
it is not a 'local' problem..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

>I have, till this point, stayed with Windows Messenger because that is what
>is designed for the O/S. If I were to switch to MSN Messenger, which
>version should I investigate and can you supply a quick link for it (if it
>is not the current version)?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings Richard,
>>
>> Have you tried using MSN Messenger instead as it has a completely
>> different way of staying online (not to mention, Linksys firmware doesn't
>> mess with it like the older protocol in Windows Messenger):
>> http://messenger.msn.com/Download
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>
>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello Jonathan,
>>>
>>> I build and repair computer (many, many hundreds since Windows XP came
>>> out) and seldom ever post here for my own assistance. I have an ongoing
>>> problem/condition with one computer. Comically, it is one of my own.
>>>
>>> Using Windows Messenger, any version (I am presently using ver 5.1.0639)
>>> Messenger steadfastly refuses to update the "presence" of anyone on my
>>> contact list. I constantly have to log off/log on to see who is really
>>> on line.
>>>
>>> If I fail to do this, many times, but not every time, my typed message
>>> will fail to go through and messenger tells me I am NOT logged on!
>>>
>>> This is very exasperating as I use messenger to keep in contact with my
>>> clients, to assist with the many small problems that pop up on their
>>> computers. Yet, I can't get my own problem put to bed.
>>>
>>> I have Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all current Windows Updates
>>> applied. I am using ZoneAlarm Professional behind a Linksys router
>>> (BEFSX41) with the latest firmware upgrade.
>>>
>>> If I log off/log on I can do anything (file transfer, audio, video etc.)
>>> until the problem again presents itself. It may be good for 2-3 hours or
>>> it may only last a couple of minutes.
>>>
>>> Do you have any ideas as to what I should look for, or links to websites
>>> that may be of assistance in this problem. I am really against a wall
>>> here.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your assistance!
>>>
>>> Richard
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

Possibly a condition with the Microsoft servers? I have thought that
numerous times over the past year. Just the past 2-3 days getting onto the
MSN website has been spotty with Internet Explorer. I can get on with
Firefox though. Then 4 hours later, IE pulls up MSN.com just fine.

And there is always the problem with these news groups not showing a new
post for sometimes hours on end. Then, all of a sudden you get 50-60 posts
going back three hours. And it is only certain groups at certain times.
Almost like a rotating schedule or something! It doesn't happen with any
other non Microsoft news groups I hang out in.

Maybe it will all be sorted out with Longhorn (-;

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Richard
>
> Over the last two days, having changed nothing at all, Windows Messenger
> has maintained the contact list and has remained in logged on state..
>
> I still think that my ISP loses connectivity with the .NET server, and
> that it is not a 'local' problem..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

>>I have, till this point, stayed with Windows Messenger because that is
>>what is designed for the O/S. If I were to switch to MSN Messenger, which
>>version should I investigate and can you supply a quick link for it (if it
>>is not the current version)?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

>> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>>> Greetings Richard,
>>>
>>> Have you tried using MSN Messenger instead as it has a completely
>>> different way of staying online (not to mention, Linksys firmware
>>> doesn't mess with it like the older protocol in Windows Messenger):
>>> http://messenger.msn.com/Download
>>> Jonathan Kay
>>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
>>> Associate Expert
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
>>> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
>>>
>>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

As long as 'LongHorn' doesn't contract Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy
(BSE)..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Possibly a condition with the Microsoft servers? I have thought that
> numerous times over the past year. Just the past 2-3 days getting onto the
> MSN website has been spotty with Internet Explorer. I can get on with
> Firefox though. Then 4 hours later, IE pulls up MSN.com just fine.
>
> And there is always the problem with these news groups not showing a new
> post for sometimes hours on end. Then, all of a sudden you get 50-60 posts
> going back three hours. And it is only certain groups at certain times.
> Almost like a rotating schedule or something! It doesn't happen with any
> other non Microsoft news groups I hang out in.
>
> Maybe it will all be sorted out with Longhorn (-;
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Richard
>>
>> Over the last two days, having changed nothing at all, Windows Messenger
>> has maintained the contact list and has remained in logged on state..
>>
>> I still think that my ISP loses connectivity with the .NET server, and
>> that it is not a 'local' problem..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have, till this point, stayed with Windows Messenger because that is
>>>what is designed for the O/S. If I were to switch to MSN Messenger, which
>>>version should I investigate and can you supply a quick link for it (if
>>>it is not the current version)?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>

>>> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message

Hi Richard,

I haven't seen that particular issue with the Microsoft newsgroups in ages.

I think there's some other issue going on for you....
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> Possibly a condition with the Microsoft servers? I have thought that numerous times over
> the past year. Just the past 2-3 days getting onto the MSN website has been spotty with
> Internet Explorer. I can get on with Firefox though. Then 4 hours later, IE pulls up
> MSN.com just fine.
>
> And there is always the problem with these news groups not showing a new post for sometimes
> hours on end. Then, all of a sudden you get 50-60 posts going back three hours. And it is
> only certain groups at certain times. Almost like a rotating schedule or something! It
> doesn't happen with any other non Microsoft news groups I hang out in.
>
> Maybe it will all be sorted out with Longhorn (-;
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Richard
>>
>> Over the last two days, having changed nothing at all, Windows Messenger has maintained
>> the contact list and has remained in logged on state..
>>
>> I still think that my ISP loses connectivity with the .NET server, and that it is not a
>> 'local' problem..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have, till this point, stayed with Windows Messenger because that is what is designed
>>>for the O/S. If I were to switch to MSN Messenger, which version should I investigate and
>>>can you supply a quick link for it (if it is not the current version)?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>

>>> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message

Using MSN Messenger now, beta version 7.0.0429. It "seems" to have solved
the presence detection problem. Time will tell (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Hello Jonathan,
>
> I build and repair computer (many, many hundreds since Windows XP came
> out) and seldom ever post here for my own assistance. I have an ongoing
> problem/condition with one computer. Comically, it is one of my own.
>
> Using Windows Messenger, any version (I am presently using ver 5.1.0639)
> Messenger steadfastly refuses to update the "presence" of anyone on my
> contact list. I constantly have to log off/log on to see who is really on
> line.
>
> If I fail to do this, many times, but not every time, my typed message
> will fail to go through and messenger tells me I am NOT logged on!
>
> This is very exasperating as I use messenger to keep in contact with my
> clients, to assist with the many small problems that pop up on their
> computers. Yet, I can't get my own problem put to bed.
>
> I have Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all current Windows Updates
> applied. I am using ZoneAlarm Professional behind a Linksys router
> (BEFSX41) with the latest firmware upgrade.
>
> If I log off/log on I can do anything (file transfer, audio, video etc.)
> until the problem again presents itself. It may be good for 2-3 hours or
> it may only last a couple of minutes.
>
> Do you have any ideas as to what I should look for, or links to websites
> that may be of assistance in this problem. I am really against a wall
> here.
>
> Thank you for your assistance!
>
> Richard
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

*crosses fingers*
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> Using MSN Messenger now, beta version 7.0.0429. It "seems" to have solved the presence
> detection problem. Time will tell (-:
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

>> Hello Jonathan,
>>
>> I build and repair computer (many, many hundreds since Windows XP came out) and seldom
>> ever post here for my own assistance. I have an ongoing problem/condition with one
>> computer. Comically, it is one of my own.
>>
>> Using Windows Messenger, any version (I am presently using ver 5.1.0639) Messenger
>> steadfastly refuses to update the "presence" of anyone on my contact list. I constantly
>> have to log off/log on to see who is really on line.
>>
>> If I fail to do this, many times, but not every time, my typed message will fail to go
>> through and messenger tells me I am NOT logged on!
>>
>> This is very exasperating as I use messenger to keep in contact with my clients, to assist
>> with the many small problems that pop up on their computers. Yet, I can't get my own
>> problem put to bed.
>>
>> I have Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all current Windows Updates applied. I am
>> using ZoneAlarm Professional behind a Linksys router (BEFSX41) with the latest firmware
>> upgrade.
>>
>> If I log off/log on I can do anything (file transfer, audio, video etc.) until the problem
>> again presents itself. It may be good for 2-3 hours or it may only last a couple of
>> minutes.
>>
>> Do you have any ideas as to what I should look for, or links to websites that may be of
>> assistance in this problem. I am really against a wall here.
>>
>> Thank you for your assistance!
>>
>> Richard
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Another question Jonathon, if you please?

I notice that when I boot the computer that passport signs out (I guess from
the old Windows Messenger), and then signs into passport again (I'm guessing
for MSN Messenger). This action sometimes causes MSN Messenger to not start.

Any comments on how I can control the interaction of the two?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> *crosses fingers*
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert

>> Using MSN Messenger now, beta version 7.0.0429. It "seems" to have solved
>> the presence detection problem. Time will tell (-:
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello Jonathan,
>>>
>>> I build and repair computer (many, many hundreds since Windows XP came
>>> out) and seldom ever post here for my own assistance. I have an ongoing
>>> problem/condition with one computer. Comically, it is one of my own.
>>>
>>> Using Windows Messenger, any version (I am presently using ver 5.1.0639)
>>> Messenger steadfastly refuses to update the "presence" of anyone on my
>>> contact list. I constantly have to log off/log on to see who is really
>>> on line.
>>>
>>> If I fail to do this, many times, but not every time, my typed message
>>> will fail to go through and messenger tells me I am NOT logged on!
>>>
>>> This is very exasperating as I use messenger to keep in contact with my
>>> clients, to assist with the many small problems that pop up on their
>>> computers. Yet, I can't get my own problem put to bed.
>>>
>>> I have Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all current Windows Updates
>>> applied. I am using ZoneAlarm Professional behind a Linksys router
>>> (BEFSX41) with the latest firmware upgrade.
>>>
>>> If I log off/log on I can do anything (file transfer, audio, video etc.)
>>> until the problem again presents itself. It may be good for 2-3 hours or
>>> it may only last a couple of minutes.
>>>
>>> Do you have any ideas as to what I should look for, or links to websites
>>> that may be of assistance in this problem. I am really against a wall
>>> here.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your assistance!
>>>
>>> Richard
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

Hi Richard,

Yes, if you wish to use MSN Messenger, you should just disable Windows Messenger.

To do so, open it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools,
Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows
Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow this program to run
in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background' (depending on
version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard
and Application Sharing will continue to work, but it will let it stay out of your way.

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert