Latency problems with VIA KT333?

Pehu

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Just one question: does the new VIA KT333 chipset suffer from the same latency problems as does the 266 series?

No KT333 review doesn't mention that...

++Pehu

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Not sure, but I think the latency problems ended when Via stop using the 686B Southbridge. I believe the KT266 was the last to use that Southbridge. The KT266A (and later) does not use the 686B.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

G

No, this is still a problem with the KT266A. The review doesn't mention this issue because the reviews never mention it: They just show benchmarks to demonstrate how fast the things are when everything is working just right. Unless the PCI issue is demonstrably solved in the KT333, I would prefer a board that uses the SIS 745 (which despite what the THG article says does support the Athlon XP).

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I thought the issue was cleared up. My mistake.

Is data corruption still a problem or just sound card issues?

If what you say is true (and do believe you) then it probably is not fixed with the KT333. Via wasn't revamping the PCI bus handling until the KT133A chipset.

Am I the only one that likes the nForce chipset?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I said I like it (especially the Asus A7N266-E) but I don't own one.

I'm waiting for a 2nd generation and hoping it includes Geforce4 MX performance, DDR333 support, integral RAID which takes advantage of nForces supposed high speed communication rates. (I haven't heard anything of this, the communication rates that it, since the early nForce press releases. No benchmarks).

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would prefer a board that uses the SIS 745 (which despite what the THG article says does support the Athlon XP).
Yeah, just what the heck is up with that anyways? Tom just to lazy to add another board to his review. I would have loved to see that MSI 745 ultra in there as well ( finally a major player with a SIS chipset board).

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

G

>>Is data corruption still a problem or just sound card issues?<<

The main thing I've heard about are problems in audio and video editing. By many reports, VIA-based boards are essentially unusable for this purpose.

G

Yeah, just what the heck is up with that anyways? Tom just to lazy to add another board to his review. I would have loved to see that MSI 745 ultra in there as well ( finally a major player with a SIS chipset board).
It is weird and disturbing. I emailed the editors yesterday about the error and got no response. Today I return to find the error not only uncorrected but amplified in the news column, which claims the KT333 is the first DDR333-capable chipset for the Athlon and Duron. Given that the ECS K7S6A, based on the SIS 745, has been in the retail channel for weeks, this is a rather odd claim. Either the THG crew is asleep at the switch or something stinky is going on.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
The dual channel RAM would be perfect for a dual CPU motherboard.

I'm looking for a review of the KT333 where DDR2100 is used so that I can do a direct comparison of the KT333 and the KT266a. I'm curious as to whether the KT333's bus speed is equal to it's younger sibling when identical RAM and CPU is used.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.