IWill Ali grrrrr

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Iwill board lets me down.

First board version 1.0 Dimms are bad.

Second version 1.2 everything was good till installing Net card, after formatting again I got it to work. Windows 2000 crashed, just like Win98se. What's so great about Win2k, O yeah, the memory management, I'll restart my computer thank you.

Let's move on to win98se, I must installed win98 a few dozen times, I think I now how to do that. Well, using the Iwill I've had a few problems from the start, also again installing the Net. After a few reboots, now I click on start and it doesn't do anything.

This is really to bad, because I wanted to send the rig out to my sister tomorrow. I been building for a few years, I'm not a pro, but put 6-7 to gather for myself, plus installed win dozen of times, and upgraded.

What do I do now? Well, there is another version of the Iwill1.2, maybe I'll get that. haha No, I think it's time to tare down my Koolance case and give my sister my KR7A board, load win98 and have this rig ready to go out tomorrow.

Thank you for allowing me to blow off some steam

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Start with the basics. Check your CPU temp. Also, even Windows 2000 can get screwed up due to IRQ. I had a similar problem with Win2K + my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz + ATI TV Wonder + old nVidia GF2 MX-400. I managed to fix it by manually assigning IRQs. I also have a similar problem in Win98SE and WinMe due to an IRQ conflict. IRQ conflicts are very common on a fully loaded system, so I suggest you manually assign IRQ and check for shared/conflicting IRQs in System Information. Let the BIOS manage Plug and Play rather than the OS, if that's an option. Are you using separate sound or the onboard sound? If separate then make sure the onboard sound is disabled. What network card are you using anyway? I've fried two or three ABit KT7A using an old ISA card, so maybe you're using an old network card?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks for the help AMD_Man, but the board is out and I'm loading Win98se, using my Abit board. I'm not waisting any more time with this board. My sister wants a computer and this board has cost me a couple weeks, plus exter shipping, now it's going to give me more problems. This board isn't good enough for my sister. Thats why I'm giving her my top board. Now, I need another DDR board.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Now my sister can play UT too, haha
UT plays good on her rig, I can feel the difference between my Ultra card and her gfmx400, but it rocks. She should be very happy and it has my stamp of approval along with my Abit board. Rig is ready to ship, no thanks to IWill. Do I back IWill? NO!!! Buy it at your own risk...Anybody want to buy my IWillXP333 version 1.2 ???

G

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Not that the 2.1 board that I have is any better. I still get regular blue screen crashes and the Auto power off does not work. Ahh those joyous past days of Gigabyte stability......

I could say something funny but, frankly, I can't be arsed.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I don't get it, you replied to the other post with I have a NIC in the bottom slot and have no problems with it.
What you have no problem with the Nic, but everything els is going to beep?

You make me all nice and warm inside. I'm putting the board in for one more go around, but I will not allow my house to get torn apart or lose sleep, or give up any part of my life to get this thing working correctly, if it does great, if not I'll meat AMD_Man at the border, which bridge is good for you?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I'm still deciding over a 1.6A P4 with a good overclocking board or a 166MHz FSB Athlon mobo + maybe an AthlonXP 1700+.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I guess you are undecided, back and forth you go. Is overclocking important to you? Is your rig o-clock now? I don't see the point of overclocking if your just going to write mail. Just seems like a lot of stress on everything for nothing, but that's me.

I thought about Intel too, what don't I think about when I have a few bucks in my pocket thought. I have my eye on the gf4, just a little hesitant to buy the first one out, you now how that goes.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, I wouldn't buy the GF4Ti4600 right now and one month later you find out that the RV250 has been released forcing nVidia to lower prices once again.

I guess you are undecided, back and forth you go. Is overclocking important to you? Is your rig o-clock now? I don't see the point of overclocking if your just going to write mail. Just seems like a lot of stress on everything for nothing, but that's me.

Yes, performance is important to me because I'm a gamer and an amateur programmer. A faster CPU = lower compling times for large programs.

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not discounting any of the problems you've had, but I've gotten my XP333 to work fine. I think the difference might be that I only have one PCI card (the NIC which is in the last slot). I wonder if a lot of the problems could be due to IRQ sharing. I'm assuming right now you're just trying to get the thing to work with the stock FSB. Some people haven't had success getting the FSB up to 166 (I know, what's the point of having an XP333 if you can't get the FSB to 166).

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Yeah, I got windows loaded OK, this time around, but can't seem to remember how to get the sound to work? Maybe in the next few days I'll get the sound working, then tackle the Nic card. Maybe in a month, I'll be over clocking. lol

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
HEH...just ordered one of those to go with my "long in the tooth" IWILL KK266 MOBO.

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
75. you pay shipping

By the way I got the sound working, using the driver for Win2k or Me, but I'm using Win98. Used the last slot for Nic, whent OK, loading UT now.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
So I was right, it's merely an IRQ issue. There's nothing wrong with your IWill. It was just probably conflicting with the onboard sound or something. You could've set the IRQ manually in the first place.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Hmmm

I use the on board sound, but when I tried the driver for Win2k & Me it work, go figure, since I'm using Win98se. As for nothing wrong I wouldn't go that far. I played UT, but I have to reboot to play it again, and some times get the BSOD doing so, and it takes a couple boots to get back in windows. The game plays about as good as my KT7A board, and I'm missing my KR7A board right about now. Also, the reset button doesn't seem to work. I updated some stuff, but with all the tweaking, this board isn't for me. The BIOS isn't so hot either. It's just a board.