Is this true about OEM products?

Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I saw this review (which was originally about the Radeon 8500) and the guy talked about flashing the bios
of OEM cards and making them as fast as one sold in retail, is this really possible?!

<A HREF="http://tomshardware.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/product_id=511190/id_type=M/ut=3f3265b0124cf7b0/" target="_new">Here's</A> the review:

**Tom's Hardware Guide User**
Strengths:
Really Fast, New never used before technology

Weaknesses:
Hard to find tweak support, can't get rid of dual monitor when using one monitor.

Summary:
First of all, Slat...

Don't be too dissapointed, all cards since the original GeForce2 (maybe even before) have issued "OEM" and "LE" versions of the cards that come clocked slower, that's why they are cheaper than the retail cards. But something you ought to know is that the hardware is always the same, they just come with a slower clocked BIOS version. All you have to do is (sometimes there's a simple tweak but most of the time it's just:) flash the BIOS on the card and replace it with the retail BIOS. Then your card will function at retail speeds and there is no extra heat because you aren't overclocking.. it was meant to go that fast.

One thing I must say is that the card is new, and it is top of the line as far as I'm concerned. I had a GeForce2MX/MX400 that performed alongside Voodoo5 cards (3DMark2k1 score: 2705) and when I replaced it I got a major increase in quality and speed (3DMark2k1 score: 7333). The new technology of TruForm is amazing, also the optimized FSAA known as SmoothVision is great. SmartShader is coming into the scene and I'm yet to see what that really has to offer but I've heard good things. From a Voodoo5 equiv I got a typical 40fps average up'ed to about a 120fps average, it's great.

As far as the driver concern everyone has.. I've had no problems with my games, but there's only mainstream WinXP driver updates since the card release, give ATI some time.. this is the first time ATI made a really successful card.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, is this guy just running his mouth about things he knows nothing about or is there truth to it?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Not sure whether the concept will work, but I just wanted to dispute the usage of the term "OEM". I think it is being misused here. As far as I know, OEM simply means that the vendor bought bulk numbers of a particular item (video card, whatever) and was given a substantial discount which they are able to pass onto you. This also means when you buy OEM, you get whats known as "white box" which is basically just the card without any software or extras that come with the "retail box". But it doesn't mean that they're underclocked compared to the retail version of the same name.

I think "LE" version was more of the correct terminology.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I have all three BIOSes and the flash utility. Email me if you want them.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

>>Not sure whether the concept will work, but I just wanted to dispute the usage of the term "OEM". I think it is being misused here. As far as I know, OEM simply means that the vendor bought bulk numbers of a particular item (video card, whatever) and was given a substantial discount which they are able to pass onto you.<<

OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer. An OEM buys key components (or even complete product)from another company that it uses to build or sell products under its own brand. For example, Gainward could be considered an NVidia OEM.

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Does this also exist in the case of the ATI AIW Radeon 7500 64DDR card? I'm getting the OEM version (not the retail box), and if it is underclocked is there a bios flash that can bring it up to speed?

Thanks in advance!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Since my motherboard died, I still haven't been able to play with my 8500.

I don't have any BIOS files for the 7500 AIW, but I'll let you know if I see any.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Duh! My bad Burger, I forgot about that! Your still waiting... Yeah, I'm just curious to see if there's any validity in this. I don't have an 8500 (or 7500) ATI.

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Like what mdriggs wrote. I put an OEM Radeon 8500 in my brothers new computer and its as good as my Geforce 3 card and half the price.

The only difference between OEM and retail is the price and packaging. The OEM Radeon 8500 came with the card plus the ATI driver disk and the TV-out S-video cable. No extra games, demos, or <b>manual</b>.

The BIOS should be the same as the retail card. Any updated BIOS you find will apply to retail as well as OEM cards.

<i>Speed doesn't kill, lag does.</i> :cool: James

FatBurger

Illustrious
The BIOS should be the same as the retail card. Any updated BIOS you find will apply to retail as well as OEM cards.

Nope, it's not. Your OEM card is clocked at either 230/230 or 250/250. Different BIOS, too.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Fatburger's right. The OEM version of the Radeon is clocked slower than the retail version. As for the question about flashing the retail bios on the oem board, it will sometimes work and sometimes it won't.

The way this works is that ATI sells it's chips to an OEM (origional equipment manufacturer, usually some no-name company in Tiawan or China). The OEM then combines the ATI chip with it's own RAM on it's own board. ATI supplies just the chip, the OEM supplies the rest (actually, ATI supplies all the chips, one reference board and lots and lots of white papers, technical specifications, etc). ATI also specifies in the contract that the chip cannot be run at 275/275, it must be 250/250 or 230/230. I believe they also supply the OEM drivers, but I'm not certain.

As for the chip, most of them are fully functional Radeon chips that are capable of running at 275. It's just the RAM that's holding them back. Some chips, however, are supplied to the OEM's because it is not capable of running at 275. Thes chips may have a manufacturing defect which prevents them from running at a higher speed. This isn't done purposfully, there's just a small percentage of any batch that aren't quite capable of running up to spec. This is a very small percentage (less than 5% of all OEM chips), but still you may be unlucky.

Lots of people have flashed their OEM board with the retail BIOS and had it work fine. For others it didn't work. The main issue seems to be the RAM. For the most part the OEM's use cheap RAM which may not be capable of running at 275. Most of the 250/250 boards will work fine. Some of the 230/230 boards will not. Just for your reference, the 230/230 LELE's that they were selling at newegg.com last year seem to be perfectly capable of running at 275/275.

So go ahead and try to flash to the retail version. You may get lucky. Worse case scenerio you can always re-flash the old drivers.

You would also be better off moving the discussion to the <b><i>overclocking 3D chips</i></b> discussion board. They have alot more experience with this over there. They'll also be able to tell you how to user software tweeks to overclock your card.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Wow, thanx for that info, it cleared up alot of my questions. :)

Could you post a link to the <b><i>overclocking 3D chips</i></b> board?

Btw thx again, you've been a big help to me.

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=49" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=49</A>

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.