Best way to host a video conference

bort

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

I want to host a conference where people can easily join.

I have both Netmeeting and MSN Messenger.

If I start a conf using Netmeeting, can MSN Messenger users join it, or do
they have to have Netmeeting?

I don't want to have to invite each person individually as I want anyone to
be able to join. MSNM seems to only allow me to set up a conf only to ppl on
my contact list.

Recommendations?

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:20:12 +1100, bort wrote:

> I want to host a conference where people can easily join.
>
> I have both Netmeeting and MSN Messenger.
>
> If I start a conf using Netmeeting, can MSN Messenger users join it, or do
> they have to have Netmeeting?

NetMeeting only connects to Netmeeting ( or other H.323 program) in a
audio/video call. Msn/Windows Messenger only connects to Messenger. There
is no cross program capability.

> I don't want to have to invite each person individually as I want anyone to
> be able to join. MSNM seems to only allow me to set up a conf only to ppl on
> my contact list.

Messenger requires other parties have passports and be on your contact list
and currently online to a Messenger to contact them. NetMeeting does not
require server access and can connect or be connected to directly via IP
address.

Neither will support more than one to one audio/video calling though
(Messenger has a webcam feature that allows transmission of video to more
than one receiver -- which might be acceptable -- not exactly sure of your
needs).

--
Brian Sullivan (MVP)
Meeting by Wire ( www.meetingbywire.com)

bort

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

"Brian Sullivan MVP" <brians@WORMTIREDmeetingbywire.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:20:12 +1100, bort wrote:
>
>> I want to host a conference where people can easily join.
>>
>> I have both Netmeeting and MSN Messenger.
>>
>> If I start a conf using Netmeeting, can MSN Messenger users join it, or
>> do
>> they have to have Netmeeting?
>
> NetMeeting only connects to Netmeeting ( or other H.323 program) in a
> audio/video call. Msn/Windows Messenger only connects to Messenger. There
> is no cross program capability.

OK, that's no good as I doubt many people have NM installed already.

> Messenger requires other parties have passports and be on your contact
> list
> and currently online to a Messenger to contact them. NetMeeting does not
> require server access and can connect or be connected to directly via IP
> address.
>
> Neither will support more than one to one audio/video calling though
> (Messenger has a webcam feature that allows transmission of video to more
> than one receiver -- which might be acceptable -- not exactly sure of your
> needs).

I want to provide video to a group, the others will not be sending video.

But I still have to have each and every person in my contact list already?

I tried the Yahoo Messenger and anyone in a chatroom can join the conf,
whcih is what I want... pity the video was very very slow (less than 1 fps).
= unusable

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:08:14 +1100, bort wrote:

> "Brian Sullivan MVP" <brians@WORMTIREDmeetingbywire.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:20:12 +1100, bort wrote:
>>
>>> I want to host a conference where people can easily join.
>>>
>>> I have both Netmeeting and MSN Messenger.
>>>
>>> If I start a conf using Netmeeting, can MSN Messenger users join it, or
>>> do
>>> they have to have Netmeeting?
>>
>> NetMeeting only connects to Netmeeting ( or other H.323 program) in a
>> audio/video call. Msn/Windows Messenger only connects to Messenger. There
>> is no cross program capability.
>
> OK, that's no good as I doubt many people have NM installed already.

Your assessment is probably not accurate -- every Windows system since
Win98 came with NM -- all Win2000 and later systems have NetMeeting
preinstalled. I doubt if there more than a few Windows systems still in use
with no NetMeeting at all installed.

>> Messenger requires other parties have passports and be on your contact
>> list
>> and currently online to a Messenger to contact them. NetMeeting does not
>> require server access and can connect or be connected to directly via IP
>> address.
>>
>> Neither will support more than one to one audio/video calling though
>> (Messenger has a webcam feature that allows transmission of video to more
>> than one receiver -- which might be acceptable -- not exactly sure of your
>> needs).
>
> I want to provide video to a group, the others will not be sending video.

NetMeeting (at least NetMeeting) alone then is ruled out - it sends video
to only one participant.

> But I still have to have each and every person in my contact list already?

Yes.

> I tried the Yahoo Messenger and anyone in a chatroom can join the conf,
> whcih is what I want... pity the video was very very slow (less than 1 fps).
> = unusable

Depending on the number of people involved, size of video and available
bandwidth Messenger might not be any better.

--

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:08:14 +1100, bort wrote:

>> I want to provide video to a group, the others will not be sending video.
>
> NetMeeting (at least NetMeeting) alone then is ruled out - it sends video
> to only one participant.

I thought that presenting a videoconference to a group was the whole point
of NM???

>> But I still have to have each and every person in my contact list
>> already?
>
> Yes.
>>
>> I tried the Yahoo Messenger and anyone in a chatroom can join the conf,
>> whcih is what I want... pity the video was very very slow (less than 1
>> fps).
>> = unusable
>
> Depending on the number of people involved, size of video and available
> bandwidth Messenger might not be any better.

I'll probably have about 10 or so participants max. I have a 1MB upstream
connection which should suffice. The Yahoo observation was made watching the
preview window without anyone connected so I assume it was software related.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:25:25 +1100, bort wrote:

>> NetMeeting (at least NetMeeting) alone then is ruled out - it sends video
>> to only one participant.
>
> I thought that presenting a videoconference to a group was the whole point
> of NM???

I am not sure about the "whole point" but NM does have the ability to
participate in a multi-party audio/video call -- only if supported by an
MCU/conference server though.

NetMeeting supports (on its own) two party audio/video calls and
multi-party data calls ( the "meeting"). Its function and ability has been
this way since it was introduced (9 or so years ago).

>> Depending on the number of people involved, size of video and available
>> bandwidth Messenger might not be any better.
>
> I'll probably have about 10 or so participants max. I have a 1MB upstream
> connection which should suffice. The Yahoo observation was made watching the
> preview window without anyone connected so I assume it was software related.

All I can suggest is to try -- the webcam video can routed various ways (
direct IP to IP or through a server if participants are behind NATs) so it
is not easy to predict quality of video. Also your 1MB upsteam is a nominal
maximum speed - whether that is available full bandwidth and in real time
even to the first upsteam router is not easily predicted(but likely not).

--

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:25:25 +1100, bort wrote:
>
>>> NetMeeting (at least NetMeeting) alone then is ruled out - it sends
>>> video
>>> to only one participant.
>>
>> I thought that presenting a videoconference to a group was the whole
>> point
>> of NM???
>

> I am not sure about the "whole point" but NM does have the ability to
> participate in a multi-party audio/video call -- only if supported by an
> MCU/conference server though.
>
> NetMeeting supports (on its own) two party audio/video calls and
> multi-party data calls ( the "meeting"). Its function and ability has been
> this way since it was introduced (9 or so years ago).
>

>>> Depending on the number of people involved, size of video and available
>>> bandwidth Messenger might not be any better.
>>
>> I'll probably have about 10 or so participants max. I have a 1MB upstream
>> connection which should suffice. The Yahoo observation was made watching
>> the
>> preview window without anyone connected so I assume it was software
>> related.
>

> All I can suggest is to try -- the webcam video can routed various ways (
> direct IP to IP or through a server if participants are behind NATs) so it
> is not easy to predict quality of video. Also your 1MB upsteam is a
> nominal
> maximum speed - whether that is available full bandwidth and in real time
> even to the first upsteam router is not easily predicted(but likely not).

Thanks for all your help, Brian.

bojabie

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

Use Bojabie for secure video conferencing. Below is downloading link:
http://bojabie.com/home/index/contact