Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell 9100 takes long time to come out of standby

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 2:29:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi,

I have a Dell 9100 that works nearly flawlessly, except that it takes nearly
15 seconds to come out of standby (not hibernation). On other machines I
have used, 1 or 2 seconds is usually all it takes. I hear the hard drives
start to spin up after 10 seconds (it is not clear anything is happening for
those first 10 seconds) and the monitor comes back on after 15. This seems
like way too long.

I tried chaning standby from S3 to S1, but the times are identical.

I tried shutting down all running programs. The standby recovery time did
not change.

Boot up time from power completely off (power switch to desktop): 43s.

Hibernate recovery time (power switch to desktop): 26 s

Any ideas?

A summary from Everest is shown below.

Thanks,
Peter

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003, 2004 Lavalys,
Inc. ]-----------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v1.10.106
Homepage
http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2005-09-07
Time 15:00


--------[
Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
DirectX 4.09.00.0904
(DirectX 9.0)

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 3000 MHz (14
x 214) [Pentium D, 3G]
Motherboard Name Dell Inc. Dimension 9100
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 2048 MB
BIOS Type Phoenix (05/25/05)

Display:
Video Adapter RADEON X300 SE 128MB
HyperMemory Secondary (128 MB)
Video Adapter RADEON X300 SE 128MB
HyperMemory (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI RV370
Monitor Dell E193FP [NoDB]
(G6566564L8TD)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter SigmaTel Audio

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801GB Ultra
ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801GR/GH
SATA AHCI Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Maxtor 6L120M0
(114GB, IDE)
Disk Drive WDC WD800JD-75JNC0
(74 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive Samsung CF Card CF
USB Device
Disk Drive Samsung MS Card MS
USB Device
Disk Drive Samsung SD Card
MMC/SD USB Device
Disk Drive Samsung SM/XD Card
SM USB Device
Optical Drive DVD-16X DVD-ROM
BDV316C (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive DVDRW IDE1108
(DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:12x, D:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 73147 MB (52341 MB
free)
D: (NTFS) 85000 MB (69078 MB
free)
E: (FAT32) 19992 MB (19948 MB
free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse Logitech USB Wheel
Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
Connection (192.168.0.101)
Modem HSP56 Micromodem

Peripherals:
Printer Fax
Printer HP DeskJet
840C/841C/842C/843C
Printer PDF995
USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801GB USB
Universal Host Controller - 27C8 [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801GB USB
Universal Host Controller - 27C9 [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801GB USB
Universal Host Controller - 27CA [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801GB USB
Universal Host Controller - 27CB [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Intel(R) 82801GB USB2
Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC [NoDB]
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device Logitech USB Wheel Mouse
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface
Device
USB Device USB Human Interface
Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

More about : dell 9100 takes long time standby

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:05:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I'd bet it is reacquiring a network address.

"P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:WQJTe.1612$6e1.1486@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell 9100 that works nearly flawlessly, except that it takes
> nearly
> 15 seconds to come out of standby (not hibernation). On other machines I
> have used, 1 or 2 seconds is usually all it takes. I hear the hard drives
> start to spin up after 10 seconds (it is not clear anything is happening
> for
> those first 10 seconds) and the monitor comes back on after 15. This
> seems
> like way too long.
>
> I tried chaning standby from S3 to S1, but the times are identical.
>
> I tried shutting down all running programs. The standby recovery time did
> not change.
>
> Boot up time from power completely off (power switch to desktop): 43s.
>
> Hibernate recovery time (power switch to desktop): 26 s
>
> Any ideas?
>
> A summary from Everest is shown below.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
>
> --------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003, 2004 Lavalys,
> Inc. ]-----------------------------------------------------------
>
> Version EVEREST v1.10.106
> Homepage
> http://www.lavalys.com/
> Report Type Report Wizard
> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
> Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
> Date 2005-09-07
> Time 15:00
>
>
> --------[
> Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Computer:
> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
> Home Edition
> OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
> Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
> DirectX 4.09.00.0904
> (DirectX 9.0)
>
> Motherboard:
> CPU Type Unknown, 3000 MHz (14
> x 214) [Pentium D, 3G]
> Motherboard Name Dell Inc. Dimension 9100
> Motherboard Chipset Unknown
> System Memory 2048 MB
> BIOS Type Phoenix (05/25/05)
>
> Display:
> Video Adapter RADEON X300 SE 128MB
> HyperMemory Secondary (128 MB)
> Video Adapter RADEON X300 SE 128MB
> HyperMemory (128 MB)
> 3D Accelerator ATI RV370
> Monitor Dell E193FP [NoDB]
> (G6566564L8TD)
>
> Multimedia:
> Audio Adapter SigmaTel Audio
>
> Storage:
> IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801GB
> Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
> IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801GR/GH
> SATA AHCI Controller
> Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
> Disk Drive Maxtor 6L120M0
> (114GB, IDE)
> Disk Drive WDC WD800JD-75JNC0
> (74 GB, IDE)
> Disk Drive Samsung CF Card CF
> USB Device
> Disk Drive Samsung MS Card MS
> USB Device
> Disk Drive Samsung SD Card
> MMC/SD USB Device
> Disk Drive Samsung SM/XD Card
> SM USB Device
> Optical Drive DVD-16X DVD-ROM
> BDV316C (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
> Optical Drive DVDRW IDE1108
> (DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:12x, D:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
> SMART Hard Disks Status OK
>
> Partitions:
> C: (NTFS) 73147 MB (52341 MB
> free)
> D: (NTFS) 85000 MB (69078 MB
> free)
> E: (FAT32) 19992 MB (19948 MB
> free)
>
> Input:
> Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
> Mouse Logitech USB Wheel
> Mouse
>
> Network:
> Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
> Connection (192.168.0.101)
> Modem HSP56 Micromodem
>
> Peripherals:
> Printer Fax
> Printer HP DeskJet
> 840C/841C/842C/843C
> Printer PDF995
> USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801GB USB
> Universal Host Controller - 27C8 [NoDB]
> USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801GB USB
> Universal Host Controller - 27C9 [NoDB]
> USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801GB USB
> Universal Host Controller - 27CA [NoDB]
> USB1 Controller Intel(R) 82801GB USB
> Universal Host Controller - 27CB [NoDB]
> USB2 Controller Intel(R) 82801GB USB2
> Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC [NoDB]
> USB Device Generic USB Hub
> USB Device Logitech USB Wheel Mouse
> USB Device USB Composite Device
> USB Device USB Human Interface
> Device
> USB Device USB Human Interface
> Device
> USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:37:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:WQJTe.1612$6e1.1486@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell 9100 that works nearly flawlessly, except that it takes
> nearly
> 15 seconds to come out of standby (not hibernation). On other machines I
> have used, 1 or 2 seconds is usually all it takes. I hear the hard drives
> start to spin up after 10 seconds (it is not clear anything is happening
> for
> those first 10 seconds) and the monitor comes back on after 15. This
> seems
> like way too long.

In my experience, if something comes up in 1 or 2 seconds, it wasn't in
standby, but maybe just had the monitor turned off. It takes time for the
disk to spin up and network associations to be acquired.

Also, for what it's worth, in my testing (with a watt meter), my standby did
not drop power consumption significantly unless I had disabled wakeup from
keyboard or mouse action, and the only way to wake it up is the start button
on the CPU box.

Bottom line is I suspect you're comparing apples to oranges, and your other
systems weren't in true standby mode.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:27:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks for the response, Tom. Any reason why you think that is the problem?

I have had many other machines on the same network that come out of standby
almost instantly. I did a quick test and the router showed in its log that
it gave the machine in question its IP address 5 seconds into the 15 (I
synchronized the router clock to my watch first). But the hard drives don't
start to spin up for 5 more seconds. On other machines, the display comes
back instantly even as the HDs are spinning up.

Peter

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:NeLTe.23425$p_1.23160@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> I'd bet it is reacquiring a network address.
>
> "P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:WQJTe.1612$6e1.1486@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Dell 9100 that works nearly flawlessly, except that it takes
>> nearly
>> 15 seconds to come out of standby (not hibernation). On other machines I
>> have used, 1 or 2 seconds is usually all it takes. I hear the hard
>> drives
>> start to spin up after 10 seconds (it is not clear anything is happening
>> for
>> those first 10 seconds) and the monitor comes back on after 15. This
>> seems
>> like way too long.
>>
>> I tried chaning standby from S3 to S1, but the times are identical.
>>
>> I tried shutting down all running programs. The standby recovery time
>> did not change.
>>
>> Boot up time from power completely off (power switch to desktop): 43s.
>>
>> Hibernate recovery time (power switch to desktop): 26 s
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> A summary from Everest is shown below.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Peter
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:03:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Just a guess, as it is fairly common. Have you tried a different monitor?
I have one machine where the monitor is really slow to wake up
"P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:rsMTe.1940$7D1.205@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
> Thanks for the response, Tom. Any reason why you think that is the
> problem?
>
> I have had many other machines on the same network that come out of
> standby almost instantly. I did a quick test and the router showed in its
> log that it gave the machine in question its IP address 5 seconds into the
> 15 (I synchronized the router clock to my watch first). But the hard
> drives don't start to spin up for 5 more seconds. On other machines, the
> display comes back instantly even as the HDs are spinning up.
>
> Peter
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:NeLTe.23425$p_1.23160@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>> I'd bet it is reacquiring a network address.
>>
>> "P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:WQJTe.1612$6e1.1486@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a Dell 9100 that works nearly flawlessly, except that it takes
>>> nearly
>>> 15 seconds to come out of standby (not hibernation). On other machines
>>> I
>>> have used, 1 or 2 seconds is usually all it takes. I hear the hard
>>> drives
>>> start to spin up after 10 seconds (it is not clear anything is happening
>>> for
>>> those first 10 seconds) and the monitor comes back on after 15. This
>>> seems
>>> like way too long.
>>>
>>> I tried chaning standby from S3 to S1, but the times are identical.
>>>
>>> I tried shutting down all running programs. The standby recovery time
>>> did not change.
>>>
>>> Boot up time from power completely off (power switch to desktop): 43s.
>>>
>>> Hibernate recovery time (power switch to desktop): 26 s
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> A summary from Everest is shown below.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Peter
>
>
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 9:19:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I tried a different monitor and get the same thing:

1. monitor power indicator shows power down mode (orange) for 15 seconds
with blank screen
2. then power indicates goes green and the display goes on

The monitor comes on very quickly coming out of hibernation or when powering
up (the power indicator goes from orange to green within a second and then
the display comes on). Maybe this is a graphics card issue (ATI Radeon
X300).

Peter


"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:p ZMTe.9350$4i6.2468@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> Just a guess, as it is fairly common. Have you tried a different monitor?
> I have one machine where the monitor is really slow to wake up
> "P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:rsMTe.1940$7D1.205@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
>> Thanks for the response, Tom. Any reason why you think that is the
>> problem?
>>
>> I have had many other machines on the same network that come out of
>> standby almost instantly. I did a quick test and the router showed in
>> its log that it gave the machine in question its IP address 5 seconds
>> into the 15 (I synchronized the router clock to my watch first). But the
>> hard drives don't start to spin up for 5 more seconds. On other
>> machines, the display comes back instantly even as the HDs are spinning
>> up.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> news:NeLTe.23425$p_1.23160@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>> I'd bet it is reacquiring a network address.
>>>
>>> "P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> news:WQJTe.1612$6e1.1486@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I have a Dell 9100 that works nearly flawlessly, except that it takes
>>>> nearly
>>>> 15 seconds to come out of standby (not hibernation). On other machines
>>>> I
>>>> have used, 1 or 2 seconds is usually all it takes. I hear the hard
>>>> drives
>>>> start to spin up after 10 seconds (it is not clear anything is
>>>> happening for
>>>> those first 10 seconds) and the monitor comes back on after 15. This
>>>> seems
>>>> like way too long.
>>>>
>>>> I tried chaning standby from S3 to S1, but the times are identical.
>>>>
>>>> I tried shutting down all running programs. The standby recovery time
>>>> did not change.
>>>>
>>>> Boot up time from power completely off (power switch to desktop): 43s.
>>>>
>>>> Hibernate recovery time (power switch to desktop): 26 s
>>>>
>>>> Any ideas?
>>>>
>>>> A summary from Everest is shown below.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Peter
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:54:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Talkin Horse" <davidrolfen0sp&m@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:LSRTe.1018$O52.480@fe06.lga...
> "P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:WQJTe.1612$6e1.1486@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Dell 9100 that works nearly flawlessly, except that it takes
>> nearly
>> 15 seconds to come out of standby (not hibernation). On other machines I
>> have used, 1 or 2 seconds is usually all it takes. I hear the hard
>> drives
>> start to spin up after 10 seconds (it is not clear anything is happening
>> for
>> those first 10 seconds) and the monitor comes back on after 15. This
>> seems
>> like way too long.
>
> In my experience, if something comes up in 1 or 2 seconds, it wasn't in
> standby, but maybe just had the monitor turned off. It takes time for the
> disk to spin up and network associations to be acquired.
>
> Also, for what it's worth, in my testing (with a watt meter), my standby
> did not drop power consumption significantly unless I had disabled wakeup
> from keyboard or mouse action, and the only way to wake it up is the start
> button on the CPU box.
>
> Bottom line is I suspect you're comparing apples to oranges, and your
> other systems weren't in true standby mode.
>

I hadn't thought of that. It is a good point. Do you think 15 seconds is a
"normal" amount of time to come out of a true standby?

I have a Dell 4550 2.4G P4 that shuts off all of the fans in standby (nice
and quiet) and it comes out very quickly. I guess if that machine is not
really in standby (i.e. processor still dissipating significant power), it
should overheat.

I may not be measuring coming out of standby perfectly. On the other
machines the monitor comes back almost immediately. The HDs still have to
spin up. But you can begin to move the mouse to do something. On the 9100,
the monitor is off for 15 seconds, so it is VERY apparent the machine is not
ready for anything.

Thanks for you inputs,
Peter
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:54:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:qgYTe.2597$6e1.690@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>
> I hadn't thought of that. It is a good point. Do you think 15 seconds is
> a "normal" amount of time to come out of a true standby?
>
> I have a Dell 4550 2.4G P4 that shuts off all of the fans in standby (nice
> and quiet) and it comes out very quickly. I guess if that machine is not
> really in standby (i.e. processor still dissipating significant power), it
> should overheat.
>
> I may not be measuring coming out of standby perfectly. On the other
> machines the monitor comes back almost immediately. The HDs still have to
> spin up. But you can begin to move the mouse to do something. On the
> 9100, the monitor is off for 15 seconds, so it is VERY apparent the
> machine is not ready for anything.

Yes, if the case fans turn off, then it must be true standby; otherwise the
CPU would melt. And you raise another possibility: That various components
wake up at different speeds, so maybe you see the monitor turn on and the
mouse may respond, but the system still isn't quite "awake" and fully
functional for a few more seconds. When I wake up my PC, I generally don't
try to do anything for a number of seconds, just to give it a chance to
power up. I'll leave it to others to confirm that it takes more than 1 or 2
seconds for a PC to come out of full standby, and to offer some numbers for
power-up time.

FWIW, This Dell page defines the difference between S1 and S3.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/solu...
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 1:26:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Talkin Horse" <davidrolfen0sp&m@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:bV1Ue.233$Ma.15@fe07.lga...
> "P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:qgYTe.2597$6e1.690@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>>
>> I hadn't thought of that. It is a good point. Do you think 15 seconds
>> is a "normal" amount of time to come out of a true standby?
>>
>> I have a Dell 4550 2.4G P4 that shuts off all of the fans in standby
>> (nice and quiet) and it comes out very quickly. I guess if that machine
>> is not really in standby (i.e. processor still dissipating significant
>> power), it should overheat.
>>
>> I may not be measuring coming out of standby perfectly. On the other
>> machines the monitor comes back almost immediately. The HDs still have
>> to spin up. But you can begin to move the mouse to do something. On the
>> 9100, the monitor is off for 15 seconds, so it is VERY apparent the
>> machine is not ready for anything.
>
> Yes, if the case fans turn off, then it must be true standby; otherwise
> the CPU would melt. And you raise another possibility: That various
> components wake up at different speeds, so maybe you see the monitor turn
> on and the mouse may respond, but the system still isn't quite "awake" and
> fully functional for a few more seconds. When I wake up my PC, I generally
> don't try to do anything for a number of seconds, just to give it a chance
> to power up. I'll leave it to others to confirm that it takes more than 1
> or 2 seconds for a PC to come out of full standby, and to offer some
> numbers for power-up time.
>
> FWIW, This Dell page defines the difference between S1 and S3.
>
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/solu...
>

Thanks for the info. I'm getting the feeling that maybe the 9100 or some
component is just slow to "wake up". I can live with it, I just thought I
would see if the time could be reduced.

Peter
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 3:49:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

If the power led is not flashing, it is not in standby.

"P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:qgYTe.2597$6e1.690@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>
> I have a Dell 4550 2.4G P4 that shuts off all of the fans in standby (nice
> and quiet) and it comes out very quickly. I guess if that machine is not
> really in standby (i.e. processor still dissipating significant power), it
> should overheat.
>
> I may not be measuring coming out of standby perfectly. On the other
> machines the monitor comes back almost immediately. The HDs still have to
> spin up. But you can begin to move the mouse to do something. On the
> 9100, the monitor is off for 15 seconds, so it is VERY apparent the
> machine is not ready for anything.
>
> Thanks for you inputs,
> Peter
>
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 4:20:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The power light does blink in standby as expected.

Peter

"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:l64Ue.2757$6e1.233@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> If the power led is not flashing, it is not in standby.
>
> "P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:qgYTe.2597$6e1.690@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>>
>> I have a Dell 4550 2.4G P4 that shuts off all of the fans in standby
>> (nice and quiet) and it comes out very quickly. I guess if that machine
>> is not really in standby (i.e. processor still dissipating significant
>> power), it should overheat.
>>
>> I may not be measuring coming out of standby perfectly. On the other
>> machines the monitor comes back almost immediately. The HDs still have
>> to spin up. But you can begin to move the mouse to do something. On the
>> 9100, the monitor is off for 15 seconds, so it is VERY apparent the
>> machine is not ready for anything.
>>
>> Thanks for you inputs,
>> Peter
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 5:09:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"P Ruetz" <parmailbox-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:WQJTe.1612$6e1.1486@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell 9100 that works nearly flawlessly, except that it takes
> nearly
> 15 seconds to come out of standby (not hibernation). On other machines I
> have used, 1 or 2 seconds is usually all it takes. I hear the hard drives
> start to spin up after 10 seconds (it is not clear anything is happening
> for
> those first 10 seconds) and the monitor comes back on after 15. This
> seems
> like way too long.
>
> I tried chaning standby from S3 to S1, but the times are identical.
>
> I tried shutting down all running programs. The standby recovery time did
> not change.
>
> Boot up time from power completely off (power switch to desktop): 43s.
>
> Hibernate recovery time (power switch to desktop): 26 s
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Peter

Here is some new information from bootvis. It shows that 11 seconds is
spent in HDAudBus.sys. Apparently this is the audio driver. Any idea why
this should take so long?

Peter

IRP Type , Driver Name , Device Name , Begin Time (sec),
End Time (sec), Duration (sec), Order Level
---------, --------------, -----------------, -----------------, ---------------,
--------------, -----------------
System , ati2mtag.sys , \Device\Video0 , 9.18,
9.42, 0.25, Paged; PnP; Video
System , usbhub.sys , \Device\0000005a , 10.15,
10.35, 0.20, Paged; PnP
System , usbhub.sys , \Device\0000005b , 10.35,
10.55, 0.20, Paged; PnP
System , usbhub.sys , \Device\0000005c , 10.55,
10.75, 0.20, Paged; PnP
System , usbhub.sys , \Device\0000005d , 10.75,
10.96, 0.20, Paged; PnP
System , HDAudBus.sys , UnnamedDevice , 11.02,
22.34, 11.32, Paged; PnP
System , USBSTOR.SYS , \Device\00000060 , 11.07,
12.16, 1.09, Paged; PnP
System , update.sys , \Device\Processor, 22.34,
27.80, 5.46, Paged; Root-Enum
!