Dragon+ onboard lan does not work

G

I bought a soyo dragon+ and when I first installed it I could not get the onboard lan to work (would send but not recieve). So I installed the latest drivers flashed the bios and tried 3 different OS (win98, win2000 pro, and winXP pro) and they all had the same problem. I know the connecting equipment is good cause I can hook it up to my other computer and it works fine. So I sent the motherboard back and the company tested it and said that they couldn't get it to work either. So they sent me a new board back and this one has the exact same problem. I tried to ipconfig release and renew but it fails cause I can't get the response back from the DHCP server. Anyone else have any suggestions. Could it be my PCI video card thats causing me the problem. Thanks

p.s. it is enabled in the bios

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by breygan on 02/21/02 07:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Have you checked posible conflicks, perhaps in mem addressing, but win device manager would have told you of this.
Changing slots for the pci card is always a good idea to try.
My home lan is simple, just 2 pc but with a hub. What is your lan setup?

A little green man with that sir?

G

Thanks for the reply. I am the same as you 2 computers and a hub that is going to my cable modem. I haven't tried to move the PCI card to another port. I will try that thanks

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
There is a seperate driver for onboard LAN for all OS's but XP. Here's a link to Dragon(+) drivers if you want to try for Win98 or Win2K. Check you CD-ROM for a LAN driver.

For the KT266A manufacturer has two options for onboard LAN, Southbridge native support or seperate LAN chip. You'll have to do a little digging at Soyo to find out which they use.

<A HREF="http://www.soyousa.com/dragondriver.html" target="_new">http://www.soyousa.com/dragondriver.html</A>

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

G

well I moved the PCI card to slot one (was on slot 3) still not working. Any other ideas would be helpful thanks

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Well to be honest,it was a hasshel when I set up my home lan. Perhaps my case was more because of Win95 & Win98. But lan settings are trikier than most other types of configs. Did you enable "file sharing" and have you tried a "ipx" connection, both pc must have the "ipx" protocol installed. Now I'm talking Win98 - 95. You might very well have a lan config problem. There is a lot of options there try those mentionned. At the moment my lan is dismantled. Can't remember everything offhand. Sorry.

A little green man with that sir?

G

Thanks for replying. These are the drivers I used as well as the ones on my original disk. I did look up info on the onboard ethernet and it said it was handled by a ICS PHY controller to be exact it is the ICS1893 chipset. Not sure where to go to find anything about this.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by breygan on 02/21/02 09:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Update:
You can forget half of what I am saying below. There is a note with the Via Driver link that the onboard LAN driver is incorporated into Windows XP. Still, you need to determine if your mobo has a seperate LAN chip. Arrgh!

I found that ICS PHY stuff too. Pretty ambiguous, huh? It's still not clear to me whether Soyo is using the Via native LAN support or if they have a seperate chip. ViaTech does have a driver, which supports Windows XP, but again I remind you. The driver is for Via native LAN. If your board has a seperate chip the Via driver won't do anything. I mean it will load and it will detect onboard LAN, because it exists on the Southbridge, but it won't work because the function is being handled by the seperate chip.

I'll try to find out if ICS PCH is a seperate chip or just another name for Via's LAN support.

This stuff should be easier than it is.

Here's a link to the Via KT266A drivers if you want to give it a try.

p.s. There are two LAN drivers at that link. One is for the Southbridge onboard LAN. The other is for a stand-alone PCI LAN card. Don't get the two mixed up.

<A HREF="http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=71#lan" target="_new">http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=71#lan</A>

<b>We are all beta testers!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 02/21/02 09:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

LOL that is to funny. We are both on the same wave length. (if you go to the forums on viaarena you will find my post guaranteed) I saw the via lan chip drivers also and I am also trying to determine if these are the same as the ICS PHY chipset. You think it would seeing the lan is called a "via onboard 10/100 lan" but still don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling. Thanks for the help and if you find anything please post it even though we seem to be running side by side.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
OK this isn't funny any more (actually it is). I just did a net search for ICS PHY (or whatever those letters) and it led me right to the Via Driver page. I also searched for ICS1893 (again whatever the letter number combination is). This led me to specs on a LAN controller chip.

OK, if I'd have to take a guess the ICS1893 functions have been incorporated in the Via Southbridge(s). This leads me (and you) back to where we started, nowhere.

Not much help, sorry.

I tried the newsgroup alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo and found dozens of people having problems with onboard LAN. I didn't find much helpful information. If you want to give it a try this is the link I use. (My ISP doesn't support news).

<A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&group=alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo" target="_new">http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&group=alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo</A>

I do not use Windows XP but I would try removing the LAN driver (with Windows 98SE I'd just delete it in Device Manager in Safe Mode) and see if Windows will detect it properly this time.

This is all Deja Vu. I went down the same path looking for Via AC97 sound drivers for my Epox 8KTA3PRO. At least I knew those Via drivers were the right ones. Now I can LOL!

Good luck!

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

G

Sweet I got it working :). Seems the problem wasn't my motherboard all along. It was my cable provider. They use MAC addressing and this was preventing me from getting anywhere. What makes me mad is the 2 weeks I waited when I RMA'd my last board that the company I purchased it from said "it failed the initial test" I wonder if they even tested it. Oh well they sent me a new board anyway. I just wasted 2 weeks pacing and watching for the UPS guy. Anyway thanks phsstpok and pike for all your help. I really do appreciate it.