Bye Bye VX-4400

Well, end of a era.

My mom's Nokia is being replaced with a LG VX-4400. The display is easier to
read, plus it supports analog mode.

However, I went over to the store on Tuesday, and they had none in stock, and
they weren't planning on getting any more despite numerous requests. I ended
up contacting Verizon and mail ordering the phone. I checked Verizon's website
and the phone is no longer listed.

Good thing that there will now be two Nokia's Tri-Modes in storage just in
case. I wonder what Verizon's policy is on switching ESNs because of travel
reasons.
--
http://www.deepspacefranchise.net is now closed due to SPAM.
11 answers Last reply

    "Mark Holtz" <joeuser@calweb.com> wrote

    > Good thing that there will now be two Nokia's Tri-Modes in storage just in
    > case. I wonder what Verizon's policy is on switching ESNs because of
    travel
    > reasons.

    As far as I know you can switch ESNs any time you want. You can
    even do it yourself on the website.

    -Quick

    "Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote:

    >As far as I know you can switch ESNs any time you want. You can
    >even do it yourself on the website.
    >
    >-Quick

    I just looked a the "how to" section of the Verizon site, but I couldn't find
    anything about how to do this.

    Can you point the way?

    Thanks

    "Tony Karp" <tkarp-@-tlc-systems.com> wrote in message
    > "Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote:
    >
    > >As far as I know you can switch ESNs any time you want. You can
    > >even do it yourself on the website.
    > >
    > >-Quick
    >

    > I just looked a the "how to" section of the Verizon site, but I couldn't
    find
    > anything about how to do this.
    >
    > Can you point the way?

    Well... you first need an account so you can sign in.
    Not sure how that is done any more but it appears there is a
    "register for My Account" link.
    Then you select the line you are interested in -- I have multiple
    lines on my account.
    Then you should see "upgrade phone" down the right side. I
    believe its under there.

    -Quick

    Tony Karp wrote:
    > *"Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote:
    >
    > >As far as I know you can switch ESNs any time you want. You can
    > >even do it yourself on the website.
    > >
    > >-Quick
    >

    > I just looked a the "how to" section of the Verizon site, but I
    > couldn't find
    > anything about how to do this.
    >
    > Can you point the way?
    >
    > Thanks *

    I thought there were problems if you did it online? Has anyone got it
    work?

    --
    rasputinj

    Rasputinj
    'Rasputinj.com Your Deal and Coupon Code Svengali'
    (http://rasputinj.com)
    Specializing in Computers, Computer Components, Cell Phones, PDAs,
    Electronics
    'Cell Phone Deals' (http://tinyurl.com/ysjrn)
    http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t116600.html

    "rasputinj" <rasputinj.14h373@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in
    message news:rasputinj.14h373@nospam.cellphoneforums.net
    > Tony Karp wrote:
    >> *"Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> As far as I know you can switch ESNs any time you want. You can
    >>> even do it yourself on the website.
    >>>
    >>> -Quick
    >>

    >> I just looked a the "how to" section of the Verizon site, but I
    >> couldn't find
    >> anything about how to do this.
    >>
    >> Can you point the way?
    >>
    >> Thanks *
    >
    > I thought there were problems if you did it online? Has anyone got it
    > work?

    I do it all the time and have had no problems. After you log on to vserv,
    about 2/3 of the way down on the right hand side it has a "Activate Phone".
    Click on that, enter the new esn, and the reason for change ( I usually
    select phone is being repaired).

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:30:33 -0700, "Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com>
    wrote:

    >Well... you first need an account so you can sign in.
    >Not sure how that is done any more but it appears there is a
    >"register for My Account" link.
    >Then you select the line you are interested in -- I have multiple
    >lines on my account.
    >Then you should see "upgrade phone" down the right side. I
    >believe its under there.

    It's slightly different in other VZW areas. Here in Ohio, it's on the
    main "My Account" screen on the lower left side - it's marked "Change
    ESN" (you select the number after you select it).

    Of course, on April 18th, that'll change, since the billing systems
    will change.

    Mike

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:10:19 -0500, rasputinj
    <rasputinj.14h373@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

    >I thought there were problems if you did it online? Has anyone got it
    >work?

    Where did you hear that there were problems? I've seen people post
    here dozens of times about changing ESNs online - for free, and
    quickly...it only takes a couple of minutes or less.

    And since I picked up a cheap Thera, I've done it myself...not a
    single problem.

    So, it'd appear nearly everyone has "gotten it to work"...

    Mike

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:10:19 -0500, rasputinj
    <rasputinj.14h373@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

    >Tony Karp wrote:
    >> *"Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >As far as I know you can switch ESNs any time you want. You can
    >> >even do it yourself on the website.
    >> >
    >> >-Quick
    >>

    >> I just looked a the "how to" section of the Verizon site, but I
    >> couldn't find
    >> anything about how to do this.
    >>
    >> Can you point the way?
    >>
    >> Thanks *
    >
    >I thought there were problems if you did it online? Has anyone got it
    >work?

    Never tried it, but will attempt to over the weekend. I have a couple
    of retired Motorola analog phones I want to check out.

    > Never tried it, but will attempt to over the weekend. I have a couple
    > of retired Motorola analog phones I want to check out.

    I swapped back and forth between the Thera and the 4400 several times. No
    problemo. They disabled one after a short period of time, though, so you
    have to assume you cannot just swap by powering off one and powering on the
    other, like in the old days. There is a 10 or so minute gap between changing
    ESN and using the new phone. I am in NYC.

    Log into the your account at
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/vzwapp/vzserve/loginform

    Then under "phone and usage details" click on 'activate phone' .

    Scotty

    "The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:10:19 -0500, rasputinj
    > <rasputinj.14h373@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
    >

    > >Tony Karp wrote:

    > >> I just looked a the "how to" section of the Verizon site, but I
    > >> couldn't find
    > >> anything about how to do this.
    > >>
    > >> Can you point the way?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks *
    > >
    > >I thought there were problems if you did it online? Has anyone got it
    > >work?
    >
    > Never tried it, but will attempt to over the weekend. I have a couple
    > of retired Motorola analog phones I want to check out.

    On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:36:43 -0700, "Peter Pan"
    <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> chose to add this to the great equation of
    life, the universe, and everything:

    >"rasputinj" <rasputinj.14h373@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in
    >message news:rasputinj.14h373@nospam.cellphoneforums.net
    >> Tony Karp wrote:

    >>> I just looked a the "how to" section of the Verizon site, but I
    >>> couldn't find
    >>> anything about how to do this.
    >>>
    >>> Can you point the way?
    >>
    >> I thought there were problems if you did it online? Has anyone got it
    >> work?
    >
    >I do it all the time and have had no problems. After you log on to vserv,
    >about 2/3 of the way down on the right hand side it has a "Activate Phone".
    >Click on that, enter the new esn, and the reason for change ( I usually
    >select phone is being repaired).

    "Other" works quite nicely.

    Both before and after the change, there will be a picture of the current
    phone.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "What we could use is a refrigerator that refuses to let us open its door
    when it senses that we are about to consume our fourth Jell-O Pudding Snack
    in two hours." - Dave Barry

Verizon Nokia Internet Service Providers