Bye Bye VX-4400

Last response: in Network Providers
April 9, 2004 2:34:30 PM

Well, end of a era.

My mom's Nokia is being replaced with a LG VX-4400. The display is easier to
read, plus it supports analog mode.

However, I went over to the store on Tuesday, and they had none in stock, and
they weren't planning on getting any more despite numerous requests. I ended
up contacting Verizon and mail ordering the phone. I checked Verizon's website
and the phone is no longer listed.

Good thing that there will now be two Nokia's Tri-Modes in storage just in
case. I wonder what Verizon's policy is on switching ESNs because of travel
reasons.
--
http://www.deepspacefranchise.net is now closed due to SPAM.

More about : bye bye 4400

Anonymous
April 9, 2004 3:32:34 PM

"Mark Holtz" <joeuser@calweb.com> wrote

> Good thing that there will now be two Nokia's Tri-Modes in storage just in
> case. I wonder what Verizon's policy is on switching ESNs because of
travel
> reasons.

As far as I know you can switch ESNs any time you want. You can
even do it yourself on the website.

-Quick
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 8:00:11 PM

"Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote:

>As far as I know you can switch ESNs any time you want. You can
>even do it yourself on the website.
>
>-Quick

I just looked a the "how to" section of the Verizon site, but I couldn't find
anything about how to do this.

Can you point the way?

Thanks
April 9, 2004 8:00:12 PM

"Tony Karp" <tkarp-@-tlc-systems.com> wrote in message
> "Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote:
>
> >As far as I know you can switch ESNs any time you want. You can
> >even do it yourself on the website.
> >
> >-Quick
>

> I just looked a the "how to" section of the Verizon site, but I couldn't
find
> anything about how to do this.
>
> Can you point the way?

Well... you first need an account so you can sign in.
Not sure how that is done any more but it appears there is a
"register for My Account" link.
Then you select the line you are interested in -- I have multiple
lines on my account.
Then you should see "upgrade phone" down the right side. I
believe its under there.

-Quick
April 10, 2004 12:10:19 AM

Tony Karp wrote:
> *"Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote:
>
> >As far as I know you can switch ESNs any time you want. You can
> >even do it yourself on the website.
> >
> >-Quick
>

> I just looked a the "how to" section of the Verizon site, but I
> couldn't find
> anything about how to do this.
>
> Can you point the way?
>
> Thanks *

I thought there were problems if you did it online? Has anyone got it
work?

--
rasputinj

Rasputinj
'Rasputinj.com Your Deal and Coupon Code Svengali'
(http://rasputinj.com)
Specializing in Computers, Computer Components, Cell Phones, PDAs,
Electronics
'Cell Phone Deals' (http://tinyurl.com/ysjrn)
http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t116600.html
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 12:10:20 AM

"rasputinj" <rasputinj.14h373@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in
message news:rasputinj.14h373@nospam.cellphoneforums.net
> Tony Karp wrote:
>> *"Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I know you can switch ESNs any time you want. You can
>>> even do it yourself on the website.
>>>
>>> -Quick
>>

>> I just looked a the "how to" section of the Verizon site, but I
>> couldn't find
>> anything about how to do this.
>>
>> Can you point the way?
>>
>> Thanks *
>
> I thought there were problems if you did it online? Has anyone got it
> work?

I do it all the time and have had no problems. After you log on to vserv,
about 2/3 of the way down on the right hand side it has a "Activate Phone".
Click on that, enter the new esn, and the reason for change ( I usually
select phone is being repaired).
April 10, 2004 1:10:29 AM

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:30:33 -0700, "Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com>
wrote:

>Well... you first need an account so you can sign in.
>Not sure how that is done any more but it appears there is a
>"register for My Account" link.
>Then you select the line you are interested in -- I have multiple
>lines on my account.
>Then you should see "upgrade phone" down the right side. I
>believe its under there.

It's slightly different in other VZW areas. Here in Ohio, it's on the
main "My Account" screen on the lower left side - it's marked "Change
ESN" (you select the number after you select it).

Of course, on April 18th, that'll change, since the billing systems
will change.

Mike
April 10, 2004 1:26:03 AM

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:10:19 -0500, rasputinj
<rasputinj.14h373@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>I thought there were problems if you did it online? Has anyone got it
>work?

Where did you hear that there were problems? I've seen people post
here dozens of times about changing ESNs online - for free, and
quickly...it only takes a couple of minutes or less.

And since I picked up a cheap Thera, I've done it myself...not a
single problem.

So, it'd appear nearly everyone has "gotten it to work"...

Mike
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 1:08:46 AM

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:10:19 -0500, rasputinj
<rasputinj.14h373@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>Tony Karp wrote:
>> *"Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote:
>>
>> >As far as I know you can switch ESNs any time you want. You can
>> >even do it yourself on the website.
>> >
>> >-Quick
>>

>> I just looked a the "how to" section of the Verizon site, but I
>> couldn't find
>> anything about how to do this.
>>
>> Can you point the way?
>>
>> Thanks *
>
>I thought there were problems if you did it online? Has anyone got it
>work?

Never tried it, but will attempt to over the weekend. I have a couple
of retired Motorola analog phones I want to check out.
April 11, 2004 7:57:31 AM

> Never tried it, but will attempt to over the weekend. I have a couple
> of retired Motorola analog phones I want to check out.

I swapped back and forth between the Thera and the 4400 several times. No
problemo. They disabled one after a short period of time, though, so you
have to assume you cannot just swap by powering off one and powering on the
other, like in the old days. There is a 10 or so minute gap between changing
ESN and using the new phone. I am in NYC.
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 9:06:56 AM

Log into the your account at
https://www.verizonwireless.com/vzwapp/vzserve/loginfor...

Then under "phone and usage details" click on 'activate phone' .

Scotty

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:10:19 -0500, rasputinj
> <rasputinj.14h373@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
>

> >Tony Karp wrote:

> >> I just looked a the "how to" section of the Verizon site, but I
> >> couldn't find
> >> anything about how to do this.
> >>
> >> Can you point the way?
> >>
> >> Thanks *
> >
> >I thought there were problems if you did it online? Has anyone got it
> >work?
>
> Never tried it, but will attempt to over the weekend. I have a couple
> of retired Motorola analog phones I want to check out.

Anonymous
April 11, 2004 11:29:29 PM

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:36:43 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> chose to add this to the great equation of
life, the universe, and everything:

>"rasputinj" <rasputinj.14h373@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in
>message news:rasputinj.14h373@nospam.cellphoneforums.net
>> Tony Karp wrote:

>>> I just looked a the "how to" section of the Verizon site, but I
>>> couldn't find
>>> anything about how to do this.
>>>
>>> Can you point the way?
>>
>> I thought there were problems if you did it online? Has anyone got it
>> work?
>
>I do it all the time and have had no problems. After you log on to vserv,
>about 2/3 of the way down on the right hand side it has a "Activate Phone".
>Click on that, enter the new esn, and the reason for change ( I usually
>select phone is being repaired).

"Other" works quite nicely.

Both before and after the change, there will be a picture of the current
phone.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"What we could use is a refrigerator that refuses to let us open its door
when it senses that we are about to consume our fourth Jell-O Pudding Snack
in two hours." - Dave Barry
!