iP3/T and Celeron 1200 now work for P2B

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In case you wanted to put the Powerleap adapter and Celeron 1200 Tualatin on your P2B but couldn't, you can now purchase a BIOS upgrade for $10 that will make this possible. <A HREF="http://shopping.oraclesmallbusiness.com/store/store.nl?store=ACCT72136&mode=browse&section=2&category=7" target="_new">LINK</A>

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey Crash, whats the best I can do right now on a P2B-F? I upgraded recently to a PIII750 (100Mhz FSB), but I'm thinking this was a bad decision. Should I get a slotket and get the cheaper Celeron 1Ghz or above? What do you think?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Since you already have the 750 you should use it. You wouldn't see large performance gains with a Celeron 1GHz. You could try overclocking the 750 to 1.0GHz by raising the bus speed to 133MHz and the voltage to around 1.85v-1.95v.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good. Hmmm....overclocking to 1Ghz (drools). It's tempting, but I don't have a way of measuring my CPU temps. I think I have that Asus temp probe somewhere- where did I put that thing?

Since my video card will be running ~89Mhz, should I reset it to the stock clock speeds? Or do you think it would still be able to run 89Mhz with clock speeds 220/210?

Also the PIII has stock HSF. You would probably recommend getting a beefy new HSF, right?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flyboy on 02/22/02 05:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can't change the voltage settings because I don't have the slotket.

I have the P2B-F, PC133 SDRAM, P3 750Mhz (100Mhz FSB)

My system as is will not reach 1000Mhz. I've tried. I will either have to get a very powerful HSF, or I'll need to get the slotket and a new processor.

Note also that I'm using a 250W power supply. I've been debating purchasing one, but kind of tight on cash right now.

Its a shame that I can't adjust VCORE.

EDIT: I just tried 133Mhz FSB, to make sure I didn't miss anything and it did not work. What's weird is that when I plug the power back in, the system starts up. Normally it momentarily spins up then shuts off. It doesn't even make it to POST though. So I backed it down to 110Mhz FSB which means my PCI slot is slightly overclocked as well as the AGP.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flyboy on 02/22/02 07:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you're running a standard Slot 1 converter, you can modify it to make the CPU detected at a higher vcore, raising the output voltage of the motherboard's VRM. Check out <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=640991#640991" target="_new">THIS THREAD</A>.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
NO, you can raise the voltage on a Slot 1 CPU, all you have to do is stick some tape over the pins you want to open, here's how you can convert that chart from the link I provided to the pins:

VID0=B120

VID1=A120

VID2=A119

VID3=B119

Tell me what your stock voltage is and I'll tell you which pins to cover to raise it!

OH YES YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!.why would you say such a thing... If you look at the chart Crashman has posted it shows the pin out for socket 370 chips. At Intels site you can download the same chart for slot 1 processors. You will be dealing with connectors A-119,B-119,A-120,B-120andB-121. These connectors tell the motherboard what voltage to supply to the cpu.By covering these connectors with tape or connecting them to ground you can set the voltage to whatever you specify.
It's not as simple as adding a jumper to a slocket.But it works just the same.
Good luck and have fun.
Looks like you beat me on the reply. I loaded up the reply page and got sidetracked by the wife. Oh well at least now they know.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rick_Criswell on 02/23/02 07:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Dani_mq

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
so, wich pin do i have to cover up to get the voltage up so my PIII 750 ca post at 1000, also wich other should i cover to make it of 133 fsb.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know what voltage you already have! These were avaialable in three voltages!
You could look up the right stuff on ftp://download.intel.com/design/PentiumIII/datashts/24445208.pdf, but I doubt you will, so I might as well tell you that the processor goes autodetect to 133 from 100 by covering Pin A14. AS for rasing your voltage, find out what you have, look up the thread I linked to above to find out what VIS number you need to open, then look at the post I made a few hours ago in this thread to determine which pins correspond to those VID numbers.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nice link Crash. I see what you mean. CPUID reads that my current VCORE is 1.66V (~1.65V).

VID for 1.65V, is:
VID3 VID2 VID1 VID0
1 0 0 0

To set VID to 1.70V, I need:
VID3 VID2 VID1 VID0
0 1 1 1
So I would have to apply tape to A119, A120, and B120 to open the contacts.

But how do I Close B119 to set VID3 to 0?

Am I at least close? I'm ready to give this a try! (getting excited!)

EDIT: O.k. after looking at that link you provided that gives examples of what to open, I think I've got it now (no seriously I got it-LoL)... My only option is to go from 1.65V to 2.05 volts by putting electrical tape (or whatever) over VID3. This seems to be opposite of the Intel datasheet where it says a "1" corresponds to open.

Now, I don't know about this- I was hoping to adjust with .05V increments. Raising a voltage by .4 Volts semms really risky. How has this worked for you in the past Crash? Don't worry- I release of all liability!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flyboy on 02/24/02 07:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OH YES YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!.why would you say such a thing
Caus' I'm an overclocking moron! LoL. The extent of my overclocking experience is the FSB and of course tweak utilities for the graphics card.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I was kind of hoping you would say that you had a 1.70v processor actually. Someone else will have to tell you how to do it on the chip, or you could do it on the board. If you could bridge B120 to B119, then cover B120 with tape, the board would see B119 as closed and B120 as open.

But I think you'll need at least 1.85v, which would mean closing B119 and taping A119 alone.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All right- thnx Crash for your help. At the very least you've educated me some more on overclocking. So I have these options:

1. Investigate possible P2B-F motherboard mods
2. Look into any solution that will allow me to not just open a pin but close one as well
3. Get the $25.00 slotket!

Number 3 is looking really attractive right now.

BTW, I tried to overclock my Athlon500 system last night. Man is THAT a poor performer! I was only able to overclock the bus to 107Mhz. I thought for sure that I could get that puppy up to 600Mhz OCed. So as is I'm at a puny 533Mhz. I'm almost certain that it's the processor holding me back because I have PC133SDRAM. What's really weird is I feel the heatsink on the athlon and it can't be even 40 deg C (just guessing). I even upped the VCORE voltage to 1.8V with no luck. Doesn't this suck?!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wait a second...if the $25 slotket is an option, that would imply that you're already using a cheap version, instead of a Slot 1 CPU. If that's the case, you can make the pin mods on the socket side, simply wire in Vid3 to VSS on the socket or the CPU.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All right. I'm confused again. I thought a slotket converts from SLOT1 to Socket 370? <A HREF="http://thetechnozone.com/pcbuyersguide/hardware/CPUs/Slotkets.html" target="_new">Link</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, wait, you said you could do it with a $25 slotket, which implied that you already have the Slot 1 board and a socket 370 processor, which implied that you're using a cheaper slotket...So now your saying you have a slot one CPU again, which implies that a Slotket won't do you any good. So what exactly do you have?

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Slot1 P2B-F motherboard and a Slot1 PIII 750Mhz processor. I thought in order to change the VCORE, I would need a slotket and a new Coppermine Processor (socket 370) in order to overclock (using FSB and voltage adjustments) on my motherboard.

So basically I'm screwed right now because I can't overclock my processor anymore unless I want to try the 2.05 voltage. Right? Or is there in fact a way around this without having to buy a slotket and a new socket-370 CPU?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could try 1.85v by closing B119 and opening A119. Somehow connect B120 to B119 to close B119, then tape over A119. That should be enough voltage to make it at least BOOT at 1000MHz.
If you need more voltage to make it stable, fear not, I've had the Coppermine all the way up to 2.5v and working at that voltage. I believe it was at 2.6v that it didn't boot, but remained undamaged! Many an overclocker has reported excellent long term results at 2.05v, BTW.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think it'll work! I need to take the processor out and have a look. I gotta brainstorm on ideas to connect B120 to B119. What about using just enough solder to extend the pins a little past the slot1 connector on the motherboard? Then using a small wire to bridge the connection? Have you ever had to do this or have you always made the leap to 2.05V (or whatever requires only "opening" the pins). Thanks for the ideas, Crash. This kicks arse!

I have to admit. I'm a little nervous though because my other machine sucks for gaming. And what would I do without my games?! I think I'll investigate the possibility tomorrow. My biggest concern if I try it is that I don't have a low-heat soldering iron. The one I've got is WAY to hot and doesn't have the temp regulator on it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you're really good with a soldering gun, you could solder the two connectin points on the CPU together, those points are very close to each other. Maybe even pencil would work, but I doubt it.

If your fairly decent at soldering, you could do the points on the back of the motherboard.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
DUDE! Your the man! I don't know why I didn't think of that! Yeah that would work the best and is less risky-especially if the iron gets too hot.

I really need one of those fine tip soldering irons. I may go shopping tomorrow for one. Maybe check our Radio shack.

Thanks Crash.

BTW, I was referring to soldering on the back of the motherboard. Oh yeah, and I'm pretty comfortable with a soldering iron.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flyboy on 02/27/02 00:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS