disabling WINDOWS messenger

Hi, Suddenly, everytine I get on the internet, a pop-up
for Windows messenger appears asking for a user name.
This isn't the bogus spam Messenger service - it is indeed
windows messenger - apparently a long time ago I set up
the service (it has an old email address of mine) but I
don't really want to use it. How can I stop this program
from appearing? I don't care if the program remains
available to me - I just want to stop the annoying pop-up
everytime I log on.
Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about disabling windows messenger

    Greetings Robert,

    You'll just have to stop it from running automatically. To do so, open it up (click Start,
    then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run
    this Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending
    on version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows
    Messenger to run in the background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows
    Messenger, so features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will
    continue to work, but it will let it stay out of your way.

    Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
    new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
    also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
    icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
    click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, Suddenly, everytine I get on the internet, a pop-up
    > for Windows messenger appears asking for a user name.
    > This isn't the bogus spam Messenger service - it is indeed
    > windows messenger - apparently a long time ago I set up
    > the service (it has an old email address of mine) but I
    > don't really want to use it. How can I stop this program
    > from appearing? I don't care if the program remains
    > available to me - I just want to stop the annoying pop-up
    > everytime I log on.
    > Thanks.

    Many thanks. I already had the Messenger options set as
    you indicated. Sure enough, I had recently installed a
    new Norton version and I followed your instructions, but
    the problem is still there. When I open up my email or
    the internet, up pops Messenger. Maybe I need to reboot
    for the changes to take place in Norton. If that won't
    work, I'm ready to just delete the messenger program. Any
    other hints?
    best,
    robert

    Jonathan Kay.

    >"Robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> Hi, Suddenly, everytine I get on the internet, a pop-up
    >> for Windows messenger appears asking for a user name.
    >> This isn't the bogus spam Messenger service - it is
    indeed
    >> windows messenger - apparently a long time ago I set up
    >> the service (it has an old email address of mine) but I
    >> don't really want to use it. How can I stop this
    program
    >> from appearing? I don't care if the program remains
    >> available to me - I just want to stop the annoying pop-
    up
    >> everytime I log on.
    >> Thanks.
    >

    >.

    Hi Robert,

    Yep, you will need to reboot.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    > Many thanks. I already had the Messenger options set as
    > you indicated. Sure enough, I had recently installed a
    > new Norton version and I followed your instructions, but
    > the problem is still there. When I open up my email or
    > the internet, up pops Messenger. Maybe I need to reboot
    > for the changes to take place in Norton. If that won't
    > work, I'm ready to just delete the messenger program. Any
    > other hints?
    > best,
    > robert

    Still no luck after the reboot. Can I uninstall?

    Jonathan Kay.

    >> Many thanks. I already had the Messenger options set as
    >> you indicated. Sure enough, I had recently installed a
    >> new Norton version and I followed your instructions, but
    >> the problem is still there. When I open up my email or
    >> the internet, up pops Messenger. Maybe I need to reboot
    >> for the changes to take place in Norton. If that won't
    >> work, I'm ready to just delete the messenger program.
    Any
    >> other hints?
    >> best,
    >> robert

    Hi,

    If you really want to, yes. But if you do, you will be preventing Remote Assistance,
    Whiteboard, and Application Sharing from working.

    However, if you don't use this functionality that would be disabled by removing Messenger,
    you can simply remove it by closing down Messenger if it's running (right click the messenger
    icon in the notification area/system tray and click close). Then click the start button,
    then click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):
    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

    Then click OK.
    Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    > Still no luck after the reboot. Can I uninstall?

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Your problem IS NOT MSN Mesenger.. is teh WIndows Messenger Service....
    to Disable those annoying pop-ups.....
    Go into run.... type services.msc... look for te Messenger Service....
    double click... press Stop.... the select the startup type... and
    disable..... that should get rid of the Internet pop-ups

    "Robert" wrote:

    > Hi, Suddenly, everytine I get on the internet, a pop-up
    > for Windows messenger appears asking for a user name.
    > This isn't the bogus spam Messenger service - it is indeed
    > windows messenger - apparently a long time ago I set up
    > the service (it has an old email address of mine) but I
    > don't really want to use it. How can I stop this program
    > from appearing? I don't care if the program remains
    > available to me - I just want to stop the annoying pop-up
    > everytime I log on.
    > Thanks.

Messenger Microsoft Internet Windows XP