disabling WINDOWS messenger

March 19, 2005 1:22:33 PM

Hi, Suddenly, everytine I get on the internet, a pop-up
for Windows messenger appears asking for a user name.
This isn't the bogus spam Messenger service - it is indeed
windows messenger - apparently a long time ago I set up
the service (it has an old email address of mine) but I
don't really want to use it. How can I stop this program
from appearing? I don't care if the program remains
available to me - I just want to stop the annoying pop-up
everytime I log on.
Thanks.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 6:23:52 PM

Greetings Robert,

You'll just have to stop it from running automatically. To do so, open it up (click Start,
then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run
this Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending
on version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows
Messenger to run in the background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows
Messenger, so features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will
continue to work, but it will let it stay out of your way.

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Suddenly, everytine I get on the internet, a pop-up
> for Windows messenger appears asking for a user name.
> This isn't the bogus spam Messenger service - it is indeed
> windows messenger - apparently a long time ago I set up
> the service (it has an old email address of mine) but I
> don't really want to use it. How can I stop this program
> from appearing? I don't care if the program remains
> available to me - I just want to stop the annoying pop-up
> everytime I log on.
> Thanks.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:52:57 PM

Many thanks. I already had the Messenger options set as
you indicated. Sure enough, I had recently installed a
new Norton version and I followed your instructions, but
the problem is still there. When I open up my email or
the internet, up pops Messenger. Maybe I need to reboot
for the changes to take place in Norton. If that won't
work, I'm ready to just delete the messenger program. Any
other hints?
best,
robert

Jonathan Kay.

>"Robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Hi, Suddenly, everytine I get on the internet, a pop-up
>> for Windows messenger appears asking for a user name.
>> This isn't the bogus spam Messenger service - it is
indeed
>> windows messenger - apparently a long time ago I set up
>> the service (it has an old email address of mine) but I
>> don't really want to use it. How can I stop this
program
>> from appearing? I don't care if the program remains
>> available to me - I just want to stop the annoying pop-
up
>> everytime I log on.
>> Thanks.
>

>.

March 21, 2005 2:28:46 AM

Hi Robert,

Yep, you will need to reboot.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> Many thanks. I already had the Messenger options set as
> you indicated. Sure enough, I had recently installed a
> new Norton version and I followed your instructions, but
> the problem is still there. When I open up my email or
> the internet, up pops Messenger. Maybe I need to reboot
> for the changes to take place in Norton. If that won't
> work, I'm ready to just delete the messenger program. Any
> other hints?
> best,
> robert

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 7:57:48 AM

Still no luck after the reboot. Can I uninstall?

Jonathan Kay.

>> Many thanks. I already had the Messenger options set as
>> you indicated. Sure enough, I had recently installed a
>> new Norton version and I followed your instructions, but
>> the problem is still there. When I open up my email or
>> the internet, up pops Messenger. Maybe I need to reboot
>> for the changes to take place in Norton. If that won't
>> work, I'm ready to just delete the messenger program.
Any
>> other hints?
>> best,
>> robert

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 12:09:32 PM

Hi,

If you really want to, yes. But if you do, you will be preventing Remote Assistance,
Whiteboard, and Application Sharing from working.

However, if you don't use this functionality that would be disabled by removing Messenger,
you can simply remove it by closing down Messenger if it's running (right click the messenger
icon in the notification area/system tray and click close). Then click the start button,
then click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Then click OK.
Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> Still no luck after the reboot. Can I uninstall?

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:11:02 PM

Your problem IS NOT MSN Mesenger.. is teh WIndows Messenger Service....
to Disable those annoying pop-ups.....
Go into run.... type services.msc... look for te Messenger Service....
double click... press Stop.... the select the startup type... and
disable..... that should get rid of the Internet pop-ups

!