I have had a look at the topics to see if this has been covered - couldn't
see anything though

Is there a way to enable file transfers when it won't work? I can receive
files but cannot send them.

I have asked my ISP who firstly don't support MSN messenger service, but
recommended I came here for help.

Anyone any suggestions please?

Greetings Nigel,

If you're using Windows Messenger, there's tons of issues that would cause file transfers not
being able to send (I won't get into them right now). What you (and your contact) might do
is upgrade to MSN Messenger, which has an entirely new file transfer capability:
http://messenger.msn.com/Download
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Nigel Moore" <Nigel Moore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have had a look at the topics to see if this has been covered - couldn't
> see anything though
>
> Is there a way to enable file transfers when it won't work? I can receive
> files but cannot send them.
>
> I have asked my ISP who firstly don't support MSN messenger service, but
> recommended I came here for help.
>
> Anyone any suggestions please?

Thanks Jonathan - I am using MSN Messenger and I think I have the latest
edition. The contacts I have can send me files OK, but when I try to send
them any it starts as if it is trying (says it is connecting etc) then I get
the message that it was unable to send the file.

The contacts who can send me files also send them to each other - it is just
me that cannot send any to them!!!

I was wondering if there was something I needed to enable to send files?

Thanks again for your reply

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings Nigel,
>
> If you're using Windows Messenger, there's tons of issues that would cause file transfers not
> being able to send (I won't get into them right now). What you (and your contact) might do
> is upgrade to MSN Messenger, which has an entirely new file transfer capability:
> http://messenger.msn.com/Download
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Nigel Moore" <Nigel Moore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have had a look at the topics to see if this has been covered - couldn't
> > see anything though
> >
> > Is there a way to enable file transfers when it won't work? I can receive
> > files but cannot send them.
> >
> > I have asked my ISP who firstly don't support MSN messenger service, but
> > recommended I came here for help.
> >
> > Anyone any suggestions please?

Hi Nigel,

Actually the MSN Messenger 6.x+ protocol allows files to be sent directly through the server,
assuming both sides are using MSN Messenger 6.x. As such, files should -always- be sent.

Now, if one of your contact is using Windows Messenger, it will default back to the old
protocol and this will be different... Just so you know though, there's nothing "magical"
you have to enable for all this to happen.

> Thanks Jonathan - I am using MSN Messenger and I think I have the latest
> edition. The contacts I have can send me files OK, but when I try to send
> them any it starts as if it is trying (says it is connecting etc) then I get
> the message that it was unable to send the file.
>
> The contacts who can send me files also send them to each other - it is just
> me that cannot send any to them!!!
>
> I was wondering if there was something I needed to enable to send files?
>
> Thanks again for your reply
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Greetings Nigel,
>>
>> If you're using Windows Messenger, there's tons of issues that would cause file transfers
>> not
>> being able to send (I won't get into them right now). What you (and your contact) might
>> do
>> is upgrade to MSN Messenger, which has an entirely new file transfer capability:
>> http://messenger.msn.com/Download
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>
>> "Nigel Moore" <Nigel Moore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have had a look at the topics to see if this has been covered - couldn't
>> > see anything though
>> >
>> > Is there a way to enable file transfers when it won't work? I can receive
>> > files but cannot send them.
>> >
>> > I have asked my ISP who firstly don't support MSN messenger service, but
>> > recommended I came here for help.
>> >
>> > Anyone any suggestions please?

Nigel,

Please try upgrading to MSN Messenger 7.0 beta, if you are still using 6.2.
7.0 has better file transferring capabilities and should work better.

If MSN messenger 7.0 doesn't fix the problem, please try disabling your
firewall temporary and try sending files again.

Also, if your contacts cannot receive files that is being sent by you, it
also means that they are blocking your incoming file transfer, but since
they can transfer files to each other (other users) without any problem,
this means that your friend's PC has everything configured properly.

--
Jabez Gan
Give me a chance, Let me help you!

"Nigel Moore" <NigelMoore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Jonathan - I am using MSN Messenger and I think I have the latest
> edition. The contacts I have can send me files OK, but when I try to send
> them any it starts as if it is trying (says it is connecting etc) then I
> get
> the message that it was unable to send the file.
>
> The contacts who can send me files also send them to each other - it is
> just
> me that cannot send any to them!!!
>
> I was wondering if there was something I needed to enable to send files?
>
> Thanks again for your reply
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Greetings Nigel,
>>
>> If you're using Windows Messenger, there's tons of issues that would
>> cause file transfers not
>> being able to send (I won't get into them right now). What you (and your
>> contact) might do
>> is upgrade to MSN Messenger, which has an entirely new file transfer
>> capability:
>> http://messenger.msn.com/Download
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>
>> "Nigel Moore" <Nigel Moore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have had a look at the topics to see if this has been covered -
>> >couldn't
>> > see anything though
>> >
>> > Is there a way to enable file transfers when it won't work? I can
>> > receive
>> > files but cannot send them.
>> >
>> > I have asked my ISP who firstly don't support MSN messenger service,
>> > but
>> > recommended I came here for help.
>> >
>> > Anyone any suggestions please?

The current 7 public beta has no difference when it comes to file transfer...
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Jabez Gan" <mingteikg@blizNOSPAMhosting.com> wrote in message
> Nigel,
>
> Please try upgrading to MSN Messenger 7.0 beta, if you are still using 6.2. 7.0 has better
> file transferring capabilities and should work better.
>
> If MSN messenger 7.0 doesn't fix the problem, please try disabling your firewall temporary
> and try sending files again.
>
> Also, if your contacts cannot receive files that is being sent by you, it also means that
> they are blocking your incoming file transfer, but since they can transfer files to each
> other (other users) without any problem, this means that your friend's PC has everything
> configured properly.
>
> --
> Jabez Gan
> Give me a chance, Let me help you!
> http://www.blizhosting.com
>

> "Nigel Moore" <NigelMoore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Jonathan - I am using MSN Messenger and I think I have the latest
>> edition. The contacts I have can send me files OK, but when I try to send
>> them any it starts as if it is trying (says it is connecting etc) then I get
>> the message that it was unable to send the file.
>>
>> The contacts who can send me files also send them to each other - it is just
>> me that cannot send any to them!!!
>>
>> I was wondering if there was something I needed to enable to send files?
>>
>> Thanks again for your reply
>>
>> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings Nigel,
>>>
>>> If you're using Windows Messenger, there's tons of issues that would cause file transfers
>>> not
>>> being able to send (I won't get into them right now). What you (and your contact) might
>>> do
>>> is upgrade to MSN Messenger, which has an entirely new file transfer capability:
>>> http://messenger.msn.com/Download
>>> Jonathan Kay
>>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
>>> Associate Expert
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
>>> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
>>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
>>>
>>> "Nigel Moore" <Nigel Moore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thanks guys - much appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Mmmm - this is a little embarassing!! I checked MSN and it looks like I only
have version 4.7.o.2010. I am almost sure that I updated from a prompt I got
when signing in.

So, went to the site and downloaded and installed versoin 6.2 and it does
look very different!!! However, according to the application it still says
4.7 when I hover the mouse and the new installed version is not in the same
Messenger folder!! Not sure where it would download to, but as long as it
fires up the later version on reboot then that's OK

So, I'll try to transfer a file with this newer version and see if that helps

Thanks again - and excuse the dope at this end!!! lol

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Nigel,
>
> Actually the MSN Messenger 6.x+ protocol allows files to be sent directly through the server,
> assuming both sides are using MSN Messenger 6.x. As such, files should -always- be sent.
>
> Now, if one of your contact is using Windows Messenger, it will default back to the old
> protocol and this will be different... Just so you know though, there's nothing "magical"
> you have to enable for all this to happen.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Nigel Moore" <NigelMoore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Jonathan - I am using MSN Messenger and I think I have the latest
> > edition. The contacts I have can send me files OK, but when I try to send
> > them any it starts as if it is trying (says it is connecting etc) then I get
> > the message that it was unable to send the file.
> >
> > The contacts who can send me files also send them to each other - it is just
> > me that cannot send any to them!!!
> >
> > I was wondering if there was something I needed to enable to send files?
> >
> > Thanks again for your reply
> >
> > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Greetings Nigel,
> >>
> >> If you're using Windows Messenger, there's tons of issues that would cause file transfers
> >> not
> >> being able to send (I won't get into them right now). What you (and your contact) might
> >> do
> >> is upgrade to MSN Messenger, which has an entirely new file transfer capability:
> >> http://messenger.msn.com/Download
> >> ____________________________________________
> >> Jonathan Kay
> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
> >> Associate Expert
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> >> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
> >> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
> >>
> >> "Nigel Moore" <Nigel Moore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi Nigel,

Actually what you're using is Windows Messenger 4.7 (there is no MSN Messenger 4.7).

You'll find Windows Messenger 4.7 in \Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe and MSN Messenger
6.2 in \Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe.

> Thanks guys - much appreciate you taking the time to respond.
>
> Mmmm - this is a little embarassing!! I checked MSN and it looks like I only
> have version 4.7.o.2010. I am almost sure that I updated from a prompt I got
> when signing in.
>
> So, went to the site and downloaded and installed versoin 6.2 and it does
> look very different!!! However, according to the application it still says
> 4.7 when I hover the mouse and the new installed version is not in the same
> Messenger folder!! Not sure where it would download to, but as long as it
> fires up the later version on reboot then that's OK
>
> So, I'll try to transfer a file with this newer version and see if that helps
>
> Thanks again - and excuse the dope at this end!!! lol
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Nigel,
>>
>> Actually the MSN Messenger 6.x+ protocol allows files to be sent directly through the
>> server,
>> assuming both sides are using MSN Messenger 6.x. As such, files should -always- be sent.
>>
>> Now, if one of your contact is using Windows Messenger, it will default back to the old
>> protocol and this will be different... Just so you know though, there's nothing "magical"
>> you have to enable for all this to happen.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>
>> "Nigel Moore" <NigelMoore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Jonathan - I am using MSN Messenger and I think I have the latest
>> > edition. The contacts I have can send me files OK, but when I try to send
>> > them any it starts as if it is trying (says it is connecting etc) then I get
>> > the message that it was unable to send the file.
>> >
>> > The contacts who can send me files also send them to each other - it is just
>> > me that cannot send any to them!!!
>> >
>> > I was wondering if there was something I needed to enable to send files?
>> >
>> > Thanks again for your reply

Jonathan,

Thanks again mate!! You are absolutely right - I had been using windows
messenger. Not much between them to look at really, my contact list etc all
came up and it recognised my user name and log in etc.

The MSN version has fancy icons down the left side, but otherwise looks
similar.

I haven't tried using the file transfer yet - my contacts rarely come on
line on Sundays!!! lol

Thanks again for your help

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Nigel,
>
> Actually what you're using is Windows Messenger 4.7 (there is no MSN Messenger 4.7).
>
> You'll find Windows Messenger 4.7 in \Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe and MSN Messenger
> 6.2 in \Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Nigel Moore" <NigelMoore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks guys - much appreciate you taking the time to respond.
> >
> > Mmmm - this is a little embarassing!! I checked MSN and it looks like I only
> > have version 4.7.o.2010. I am almost sure that I updated from a prompt I got
> > when signing in.
> >
> > So, went to the site and downloaded and installed versoin 6.2 and it does
> > look very different!!! However, according to the application it still says
> > 4.7 when I hover the mouse and the new installed version is not in the same
> > Messenger folder!! Not sure where it would download to, but as long as it
> > fires up the later version on reboot then that's OK
> >
> > So, I'll try to transfer a file with this newer version and see if that helps
> >
> > Thanks again - and excuse the dope at this end!!! lol
> >
> > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Nigel,
> >>
> >> Actually the MSN Messenger 6.x+ protocol allows files to be sent directly through the
> >> server,
> >> assuming both sides are using MSN Messenger 6.x. As such, files should -always- be sent.
> >>
> >> Now, if one of your contact is using Windows Messenger, it will default back to the old
> >> protocol and this will be different... Just so you know though, there's nothing "magical"
> >> you have to enable for all this to happen.
> >> ____________________________________________
> >> Jonathan Kay
> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
> >> Associate Expert
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> >> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
> >> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
> >>
> >> "Nigel Moore" <NigelMoore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi Nigel,

No problem, glad to be of help :)