Question for a Soyo P4 dragon ultrs owner

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
The onboard sound doesnt seem to work with windows XP.Since this a fairly new Motherboard release,I figured there would be no compatability issues.If anyone has theirs working,I'd appreciate a "how to" lesson.....Thanks.:)

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.

pat

Expert
have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers from the soyo site or are you just trying to use it right after the XP installation ? You need the drivers from soyo site to have it working properly.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Actually,I used the drivers that came on the driver installation CD. With the newness of the motherboard,I figured the drivers would be current.I'll download those drivers and try again.:)

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vetplus40 on 02/22/02 06:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pat

Expert
Have you seen the c-media mixer? You need it to set the options. do a search for mixer and start it.

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Here is the confusing part..The demo sound program works,so I was confused as to if its working correctly?

pat

Expert
Then just tell me if you can play cd audio, if you have sound in games, sound when you play with the MIC.

My best Advice would be to delete the sound drivers in the system properties, desactive the sound in BIOS, reboot, Finish the clean-up(may be necessary to use the audio drivers install utility)shutdown, re-activate the sound in bios, then install the new drivers from the soyo site. start the mixer(the one with C-Media PCI audio drivers) and set the number of speakers you have.

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
I can play an audio cd perfectly.I cannot hear anything but an occasional blurb on windows,or on a game cd that has sound.I havent configured anything in the mixer yet,but I didnt for 98 ,I guess it just used the default settings,and I had good quality sound.The drivers are loaded,but I'm going to install the Soyo site drivers this evening.The rev. on the site drivers is dated 1-7-02,not sure about the cd drivers.:)BTW,I dont yet have a mic.

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Could I possibly have some type of scenario,where XP would recognize one type of file,and not another?.Lets say it would accept .mp3,and not .wav..just a thought..

pat

Expert
No, my guess is much more toward the setting in the mixer. You maybe need to set the type of sound system you have in the c-media mixer. If your current setting are, by exemple 5.1 speakers and you have only 2 speakers, then you may not hear all the sound.

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
All the mixer settings are fine.I had everything working correctly,then switched over to XP..The first thing I noticed was no windows start up music,then it blurped out a few notes,kinda like a short in a speaker wire.My audio cd's played just fine,but my cd games had no sound.I downloaded the latest sound drivers,and after installation,my computer reboots when I click on start?..Its gotta be an XP issue,it took out my game controllers too.:)I'm just gonna retreat to 98,later on I may try again.Too many issues at once.Never got the RAID set up to work either.:)

pat

Expert
If you have the time for just one other XP installation, then try it with the onboard sound and LAN set to diseabled in the BIOS, then once XP is correctly installed, enable it in the BIOS and install the sound drivers. I'm using XP with the C-Media audio on my Dragon+ and it is working good.

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Is that how you installed it?...I tried a driver update,and now have the blue screen of death..lol
I'll have to disable "auto reboot on error",to take a look and see what the nag message is.

pat

Expert
no. I had the sound activated in the BIOS but not the LAN when I've installed WinXP. IIRC, I've began by installing the VIA chipset drivers, then the sound drivers from the CD by using the Win2000 drivers(XP drivers werent on the disk. Then I've downloaded the latest for XP from Soyo site and installed them.

Then, after that, I've installed the latest video drivers for my Radeon. Already 2 months running XP and not a crash yet, except for one time but it was caused by a bad IDE cable.