You need the latest version of Windows Messenger...

I'm having a problem with MSN Messenger 6.2 (6.2.0205) under WinXP Pro/SP2.

When I want to use any of these features:

Whiteboard
Remote Assistance
Application Sharing

I get a message like the following:

"Your invitation was not sent because you need the latest version of Windows
Messenger to use the ...blah... feature. Please go to the Windows Messenger
update site to install the latest version."

I have gone to the update site and downloaded the latest installer and tried
both repair and remove/install but the problem remains the same.

Any ideas anybody?
3 answers Last reply
More about latest version windows messenger

    Greetings,

    As the message indicates, you need the latest version of Windows Messenger installed to use
    these functions-- you are installing/updating MSN Messenger not Windows Messenger (these are
    separate products).

    You'll need to install the latest Windows Messenger from here:
    http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8d9eb73-5f8c-4b9a-940f-9157a3b3d774
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "isme4sure" <isme4sure@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm having a problem with MSN Messenger 6.2 (6.2.0205) under WinXP Pro/SP2.
    >
    > When I want to use any of these features:
    >
    > Whiteboard
    > Remote Assistance
    > Application Sharing
    >
    > I get a message like the following:
    >
    > "Your invitation was not sent because you need the latest version of Windows
    > Messenger to use the ...blah... feature. Please go to the Windows Messenger
    > update site to install the latest version."
    >
    > I have gone to the update site and downloaded the latest installer and tried
    > both repair and remove/install but the problem remains the same.
    >
    > Any ideas anybody?

    Many thanks Jonathan, that did the trick!

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > As the message indicates, you need the latest version of Windows Messenger installed to use
    > these functions-- you are installing/updating MSN Messenger not Windows Messenger (these are
    > separate products).
    >
    > You'll need to install the latest Windows Messenger from here:
    > http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8d9eb73-5f8c-4b9a-940f-9157a3b3d774
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "isme4sure" <isme4sure@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm having a problem with MSN Messenger 6.2 (6.2.0205) under WinXP Pro/SP2.
    > >
    > > When I want to use any of these features:
    > >
    > > Whiteboard
    > > Remote Assistance
    > > Application Sharing
    > >
    > > I get a message like the following:
    > >
    > > "Your invitation was not sent because you need the latest version of Windows
    > > Messenger to use the ...blah... feature. Please go to the Windows Messenger
    > > update site to install the latest version."
    > >
    > > I have gone to the update site and downloaded the latest installer and tried
    > > both repair and remove/install but the problem remains the same.
    > >
    > > Any ideas anybody?

    Hi,

    Glad to hear it :)

    > Many thanks Jonathan, that did the trick!
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> As the message indicates, you need the latest version of Windows Messenger installed to
    >> use
    >> these functions-- you are installing/updating MSN Messenger not Windows Messenger (these
    >> are
    >> separate products).
    >>
    >> You'll need to install the latest Windows Messenger from here:
    >> http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8d9eb73-5f8c-4b9a-940f-9157a3b3d774
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
    >>
    >> "isme4sure" <isme4sure@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm having a problem with MSN Messenger 6.2 (6.2.0205) under WinXP Pro/SP2.
    >> >
    >> > When I want to use any of these features:
    >> >
    >> > Whiteboard
    >> > Remote Assistance
    >> > Application Sharing
    >> >
    >> > I get a message like the following:
    >> >
    >> > "Your invitation was not sent because you need the latest version of Windows
    >> > Messenger to use the ...blah... feature. Please go to the Windows Messenger
    >> > update site to install the latest version."
    >> >
    >> > I have gone to the update site and downloaded the latest installer and tried
    >> > both repair and remove/install but the problem remains the same.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas anybody?

Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP