Could a game fry my PC?

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Well, I know i should't have, but i did. I tried to run Return to Castle Wolfenstein on the family computer, which is just a stock IBM Ativa with a K6-2 @ 475Mhz. After I ran it, just happend to glance at the reomended specs, and It said it needed at least 16 Mb of Vram Video memory, and this thing has 8Mb (SIS chipset on an ACER board.. yuk), 4 of which is shared. I tried troubleshooting everything possible exept pulling the current PSU and pluggin in another, which I plan to do tomorrow. But is it possible for the game to make the system inoperable? It froze when I ran it, and now the thin wont start , not even a blinking LED.

Crashing takes a whole new meaning at 9.8 m/s.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A shot in the dark, but try unpugging the power connector from the computer (with it off). Sometimes this allows the PS or other things to reset. Wait about 5 min then replug and try to reboot.
Good Luck, Take-Out
PS I suppose you already tried letting it cool down for an hour or so.

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Nope, unplugged it all, reset the bios, nothing. have yet to pull the psu out of my machine.... just a big pain in the a$$ really.. but one more step in the real of troubleshooting.

Azzy

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Typically a game can't kill a machine. I'm a an aspiring programmer and from my experience once a machine is rebooted all traces of your program are gone (other than HDD stuff).

As far as your problem goes, try pulling out all parts not nessesary for operation (leave only CPU, MB, VC, RAM)

"The greatest pleasure in life it doing what other poeple tell you you can't do."

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Tried a new psu, the VC is onboard, im getting an old pci one from a bud tomorrow, pulled everthing in several differen combos, not even a beep from the system speaker or a movement from the processor fan.

Think is fried. anybody know where i can get a mini atx PIII board cheap?

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Your not getting the beeps anymore from no RAM?
No nothing you say? Not even a fan? Sounds like Power Supply or MB, but 75% power supply.

-Kanaz

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Put a working power supply (350w) on and nothing. and I know that one works because it is running MY pc right now.. Im about to scrap the aptiva, I hate IBM computers....