No Windows sites

Hello

I cant access any Windows sites, Msn Messenger, Windows
update site, etc, etc.

I live in the Long Eaton area UK.

It started when I came on this morning.

Im now on a friends PC to get this far, any advice would
be helpfull.
4 answers Last reply
More about windows sites

    Tegco,

    Are you getting any error? There are lots of causes to this problem,
    modified HOSTS file etc etc.

    Here are some tips on what to try on:
    1. If a spyware/malware has been run on your system, it might have modified
    the HOSTS file. Please do a scan on your system for spyware and
    remove/quarantine everything it finds. Some good anti spyware software are
    ad-aware (www.lavasoft.de) or Spybot Search and destroy (google it). If it
    this doesn't work, please update your anti virus and do a system scan too.
    2. If your HOSTS file is corrupted (or hijacked), you will not be able to
    connect to MS sites (or whatever sites). Please follow "Safely Rename the
    HOST file" under http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and see if this
    solves the problem.
    3. MS sitse might be down, or the backbone from UK to MS server might be
    down. Please try again a few hours later. You might want to do a tracert and
    see where is the problem. For more information on TRACERT, please read
    http://www.computerhope.com/tracert.htm

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Jabez Gan
    Give me a chance, Let me help you!

    "Tegco" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I cant access any Windows sites, Msn Messenger, Windows
    > update site, etc, etc.
    >
    > I live in the Long Eaton area UK.
    >
    > It started when I came on this morning.
    >
    > Im now on a friends PC to get this far, any advice would
    > be helpfull.

    HELLO,
    GUESS WHAT IT CAME BACK ON 5HRS LATER, SO WHAT IT WAS I
    STILL DONT KNOW. Thanks for your advice. Sos about the
    big writing left lock on.

    Cheers

    Sometimes, ISPs lose connection to the outside world now and again.. an ISP
    called 'F9' based somewhere in Derbyshire used to have this problem quite
    frequently..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Tegco" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I cant access any Windows sites, Msn Messenger, Windows
    > update site, etc, etc.
    >
    > I live in the Long Eaton area UK.
    >
    > It started when I came on this morning.
    >
    > Im now on a friends PC to get this far, any advice would
    > be helpfull.

    If you did a tracert before it came back up, you should be able to pinpoint
    the problem (or where it fails).

    But anyway, glad to know that everything is back to normal. Great!

    --

    > HELLO,
    > GUESS WHAT IT CAME BACK ON 5HRS LATER, SO WHAT IT WAS I
    > STILL DONT KNOW. Thanks for your advice. Sos about the
    > big writing left lock on.
    >
    > Cheers

Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP