Windows messenger update

I noticed there was a higher version of windows messenger than what I had
which was verson 4.7. I never have installed the windows XP SP2 because of
vulnerabilities. I tried last night to download and install the latest
version of windows messenger but I keep coming up with errors and says I
should download the SP2 pack, which I do not want. how do I revert back to
the previous version of messenger that was working for me? Thanks for your
help.
--
Linda
4 answers Last reply

    I just searched my program files and did find windows messenger 5.1, so I
    loaded that and it seems to be working. Why can't the updates be stand alone
    from the service pack????????????

    "Linda" wrote:

    > I noticed there was a higher version of windows messenger than what I had
    > which was verson 4.7. I never have installed the windows XP SP2 because of
    > vulnerabilities. I tried last night to download and install the latest
    > version of windows messenger but I keep coming up with errors and says I
    > should download the SP2 pack, which I do not want. how do I revert back to
    > the previous version of messenger that was working for me? Thanks for your
    > help.
    > --
    > Linda

    Hi Linda,

    Simply because separating them requires plenty of testing and resources which aren't really
    necessary.

    Windows XP SP2 has less vulnerabilities than any Windows version before; you are -more-
    protected with SP2 than you are with any Windows version. In fact there are some
    vulnerabilities which are only exploitable if you're -not- using SP2.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just searched my program files and did find windows messenger 5.1, so I
    > loaded that and it seems to be working. Why can't the updates be stand alone
    > from the service pack????????????
    >
    > "Linda" wrote:
    >
    >> I noticed there was a higher version of windows messenger than what I had
    >> which was verson 4.7. I never have installed the windows XP SP2 because of
    >> vulnerabilities. I tried last night to download and install the latest
    >> version of windows messenger but I keep coming up with errors and says I
    >> should download the SP2 pack, which I do not want. how do I revert back to
    >> the previous version of messenger that was working for me? Thanks for your
    >> help.
    >> --
    >> Linda

    Thanks Jonathan, I think I will update and download the SP2, seems other
    people haven't had any problems with it. I hope it will clear up the issue,
    but then I did manage to get messenger running anyway. Thanks again.

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi Linda,
    >
    > Simply because separating them requires plenty of testing and resources which aren't really
    > necessary.
    >
    > Windows XP SP2 has less vulnerabilities than any Windows version before; you are -more-
    > protected with SP2 than you are with any Windows version. In fact there are some
    > vulnerabilities which are only exploitable if you're -not- using SP2.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I just searched my program files and did find windows messenger 5.1, so I
    > > loaded that and it seems to be working. Why can't the updates be stand alone
    > > from the service pack????????????
    > >
    > > "Linda" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I noticed there was a higher version of windows messenger than what I had
    > >> which was verson 4.7. I never have installed the windows XP SP2 because of
    > >> vulnerabilities. I tried last night to download and install the latest
    > >> version of windows messenger but I keep coming up with errors and says I
    > >> should download the SP2 pack, which I do not want. how do I revert back to
    > >> the previous version of messenger that was working for me? Thanks for your
    > >> help.
    > >> --
    > >> Linda

    ok, so I downloaded and installed the SP2 this evening after trying a second
    time to do it. Now I am on line on windows messenger but there is no icon
    telling me that I am on line. what's up with that? isn't there a higher
    version of the messenger to use? Thanks

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi Linda,
    >
    > Simply because separating them requires plenty of testing and resources which aren't really
    > necessary.
    >
    > Windows XP SP2 has less vulnerabilities than any Windows version before; you are -more-
    > protected with SP2 than you are with any Windows version. In fact there are some
    > vulnerabilities which are only exploitable if you're -not- using SP2.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I just searched my program files and did find windows messenger 5.1, so I
    > > loaded that and it seems to be working. Why can't the updates be stand alone
    > > from the service pack????????????
    > >
    > > "Linda" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I noticed there was a higher version of windows messenger than what I had
    > >> which was verson 4.7. I never have installed the windows XP SP2 because of
    > >> vulnerabilities. I tried last night to download and install the latest
    > >> version of windows messenger but I keep coming up with errors and says I
    > >> should download the SP2 pack, which I do not want. how do I revert back to
    > >> the previous version of messenger that was working for me? Thanks for your
    > >> help.
    > >> --
    > >> Linda

Download Messenger Microsoft Windows XP