MA521 and Windows NT4.0

Sunil

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Is anyone using the Netgear MA521 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card in a NT
4.0 Server laptop? The Netgear documentation confirms support for
Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 and Windows XP but I need to use it in a NT
4.0 system and was wondering if anyone has suitable drivers somewhere.

Installation from the Netgear CD gives no error messages but the
driver does not work. Even the MA521 configuration utility does not
get launced.

Thanks.

Sunil

You will find it very difficult to find drivers for any operating system
before Win98SE for any wireless transmitter, Some are designed specifically
to work with older versions however the OS is not really designed for
wireless networking.

Is there any reason you can't migrate to 2k??

Paul

On 11/7/04 7:33 pm, in article
798f876.0407111033.797ac008@posting.google.com, "Sunil"
<sunil.mathur@usa.net> wrote:

> Is anyone using the Netgear MA521 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card in a NT
> 4.0 Server laptop? The Netgear documentation confirms support for
> Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 and Windows XP but I need to use it in a NT
> 4.0 system and was wondering if anyone has suitable drivers somewhere.
>
> Installation from the Netgear CD gives no error messages but the
> driver does not work. Even the MA521 configuration utility does not
> get launced.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sunil

Sunil

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Have been hesitating to migrate to WIn2K as the laptop is loaded with
many applications, each of which will have to be reconfigured on
Win2K. Hence the search for NT drivers for the wireless card.

Sunil

Paul Bayley <paul@impactsolutions.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message news:<BD174AF3.1031%paul@impactsolutions.eclipse.co.uk>...
> You will find it very difficult to find drivers for any operating system
> before Win98SE for any wireless transmitter, Some are designed specifically
> to work with older versions however the OS is not really designed for
> wireless networking.
>
> Is there any reason you can't migrate to 2k??
>
> Paul
>
> On 11/7/04 7:33 pm, in article
> 798f876.0407111033.797ac008@posting.google.com, "Sunil"
> <sunil.mathur@usa.net> wrote:
>
> > Is anyone using the Netgear MA521 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card in a NT
> > 4.0 Server laptop? The Netgear documentation confirms support for
> > Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 and Windows XP but I need to use it in a NT
> > 4.0 system and was wondering if anyone has suitable drivers somewhere.
> >
> > Installation from the Netgear CD gives no error messages but the
> > driver does not work. Even the MA521 configuration utility does not
> > get launced.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Sunil

On 11 Jul 2004 11:33:21 -0700, in alt.internet.wireless ,
sunil.mathur@usa.net (Sunil) wrote:

>Is anyone using the Netgear MA521 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card in a NT
>4.0 Server laptop? The Netgear documentation confirms support for
>Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 and Windows XP but I need to use it in a NT
>4.0 system and was wondering if anyone has suitable drivers somewhere.

The only wireles kit I've ever found that worked with NT was a wireless
router. NT doesn't even properly support pc cards.

--
Mark McIntyre

FWIW, I was a many years-long user of NT351 and NT4 on a number of home
LAN machines, and moved to W2k to solve driver availability problems
like the one facing you. I'm very glad I did. W2k (aka NT5) is more
stable & richer in many ways incl driver availability and
self-diagnostics. I have configured W2k (which is simple to do) so that
it appears just about identical to the NT4 presentation, which I prefer
to the "Toys 'R Us" defaults that conceal the real nature of file
structures and the like. (Way back when, as an IBMer, I moved from OS2
to NT reluctantly, when it became clear that Big Blue really blew it
with driver support, and with certain reservations about the quality of
MS code, I remain glad I did. This is a case where hype and marketing
has trumped elegance.) I run about 40 installed apps.

I did NOT do NT4->W2k upgrades, only fresh installs. Upgrades are
problematic and propagate existing errors/corruptions of all kinds,
including in the registry hives, and can cause headaches that are
ultimately resolved with fresh installs anyway: upgrades can actually
therefore result in more time lost than fresh installs, despite the
intuition you may have. (I have the advantage of keeping CDrom app
images on HDD, which trivializes app installs/reinstalls.) If you doubt
this advice, you have only to review the many threads about it on the MS
W2k newsgroups over the past several years. It is just about uniform
among the experienced users who help the needy there.

My recent installation of a Linksys WCG200 cable gateway and WET11
bridge, serving my 3 machines in my office and 1 in my house 60' away
across the backyard was trivial. I had an old ethernet workgroup
defined, and it remains intact. Where before I had 56kb dialup on 2
machines, I now have cable access on all 4, and file movement among all
machines is faster. Apart from necessary initial configuration of both
those boxes, the only changes I had to make were to use DHCP with the
W2k TCP/IP suites. That's a couple of clicks with the mouse and a
reboot, on each machine.

IMHO, moving to W2k makes a lot of sense. At this late date, you will
not find NT4 drivers for any recently developed hardware. It's simply
not economically sensible for manufacturers.

Sunil wrote:
> Have been hesitating to migrate to WIn2K as the laptop is loaded with
> many applications, each of which will have to be reconfigured on
> Win2K. Hence the search for NT drivers for the wireless card.
>
> Sunil
>
> Paul Bayley <paul@impactsolutions.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message news:<BD174AF3.1031%paul@impactsolutions.eclipse.co.uk>...
>
>>You will find it very difficult to find drivers for any operating system
>>before Win98SE for any wireless transmitter, Some are designed specifically
>>to work with older versions however the OS is not really designed for
>>wireless networking.
>>
>>Is there any reason you can't migrate to 2k??
>>
>>Paul
>>
>>On 11/7/04 7:33 pm, in article
>>798f876.0407111033.797ac008@posting.google.com, "Sunil"
>><sunil.mathur@usa.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Is anyone using the Netgear MA521 802.11b wireless PCMCIA card in a NT
>>>4.0 Server laptop? The Netgear documentation confirms support for
>>>Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 and Windows XP but I need to use it in a NT
>>>4.0 system and was wondering if anyone has suitable drivers somewhere.
>>>
>>>Installation from the Netgear CD gives no error messages but the
>>>driver does not work. Even the MA521 configuration utility does not
>>>get launced.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>Sunil

Sunil

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Thanks to all those who have responded. I am using Win2K on other
machines and agree with all that has been said about its superior
driver support. Guess I will (reluctantly) schedule the transition to
Win2K on this laptop too.

Sunil