Request BEST MB for transition to new P3 please

Intrepid4

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi all,

Here's my situation. I have an HP 8570C with the Asus/HP P2B-VE modified OEM board. I recently received a P3 850 which would give my comp a much needed speed boost over it's current P3 450. The only problem is that the board I have currently does not support the low voltage of the coppermine.

My question has to do with which MB you recommend given the slight antiquity of my system (almost three years). It doesn't have to be the greatest performer, or have the newest features (current components are probably not recent enough to take advantage of them anyway) as much as I want it to be as solid as granite. I am really just looking for a cost-effective transition to a higher speed CPU, until I have enough cash for a complete overhaul.

I had my heart set on a 440BX based MB, as they are supposedly the most stable, and I figured would be even cheaper given their age and replacement by the 815. The only problem is that I can't even find a retailer who sells them anymore online. Suggestions as to where I might be able to purchase your recommended board would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch to everyone for their assistance!!

Components (in case it helps): P3 850 100mhz FSB, 192 MB Crucial 100mhz Ram, Audigy Gamer(should I stay away from VIA chipsets??), standard NIC, and Gladiac GeForce2 GTS

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I recommend the Tyan Trinity 400, it supports all pentium III processors and has been running my system very stable for over 2 years now. You can purchase it at <A HREF="http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?sid=k26w6b6jhw8wjca&id=637" target="_new">Compuplus </A> for under $100 with shipping (that is overnight 3 day shipping) or at <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=BROWSE&manufactory=1424" target="_new"> Newegg.com</A> for $80. with shipping.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

Kanaz

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I sugest the Gigabyte GA-6OXET-C I've been using them for over 6 months at my work and have never got one back (for replacement, repair, or anything)

"The greatest pleasure in life it doing what other poeple tell you you can't do."

Go for the Abit BX133-R. Recommended by someone here, and I've never had a problem that wasn't user error. :smile:

Seriously, its extremely stable, supports 133MHz PIIIs, get a decent gfx card in the future and turn it up to 133, and you'll be well pleased!

Raid gives it that extra boost if you want to use it.

No complaints.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool: