Unable to launch MSN or Windows messenger

I am having some serious issues with MSN Messenger on my PC
Iam running the following:
Dell Dimension 2400
Win XP SP2

I have tried MSN MSGR 6.2 and 7.0 with the same results
Everytime I start MSN messenger the Windows Installer
dialog box appears with nothing in the window and the
system just hangs. I have to end the task several times
before I get the "You chose to end the nonresponsive
program, MSN Messenger." dialog box
I have uninstalled and re-installed MSN Messenger countless
times with the same result.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about unable launch windows messenger

    in fact i have the same problem, i'm runnuing XP SP2 on HP pavillion ZT3463..
    i'm trying to sign in with different modes (online, offline, etc). the
    messenger hangs and i must close it and do the END TASK procedure, when i try
    sending error report, it says that the problem is with firewall setting.. i
    disabled firewall with no luck.. i tried uninstall and reinstall also with no
    luck.. this happened with the beta & 6.2 version

    any ideas??

    "GarnerG" wrote:

    > I am having some serious issues with MSN Messenger on my PC
    > Iam running the following:
    > Dell Dimension 2400
    > Win XP SP2
    >

    > I have tried MSN MSGR 6.2 and 7.0 with the same results
    > Everytime I start MSN messenger the Windows Installer
    > dialog box appears with nothing in the window and the
    > system just hangs. I have to end the task several times
    > before I get the "You chose to end the nonresponsive
    > program, MSN Messenger." dialog box
    > I have uninstalled and re-installed MSN Messenger countless
    > times with the same result.
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.

    At least you are getting the Sign in Window. I get nothing.
    I have sent countless error reports and no work arounds.
    Either my installer is corrupt or my registry is corrupt. Just dont know
    where to look first.

    "Qais" wrote:

    > in fact i have the same problem, i'm runnuing XP SP2 on HP pavillion ZT3463..
    > i'm trying to sign in with different modes (online, offline, etc). the
    > messenger hangs and i must close it and do the END TASK procedure, when i try
    > sending error report, it says that the problem is with firewall setting.. i
    > disabled firewall with no luck.. i tried uninstall and reinstall also with no
    > luck.. this happened with the beta & 6.2 version
    >
    > any ideas??
    >
    > "GarnerG" wrote:
    >
    > > I am having some serious issues with MSN Messenger on my PC
    > > Iam running the following:
    > > Dell Dimension 2400
    > > Win XP SP2
    > >

    > > I have tried MSN MSGR 6.2 and 7.0 with the same results
    > > Everytime I start MSN messenger the Windows Installer
    > > dialog box appears with nothing in the window and the
    > > system just hangs. I have to end the task several times
    > > before I get the "You chose to end the nonresponsive
    > > program, MSN Messenger." dialog box
    > > I have uninstalled and re-installed MSN Messenger countless
    > > times with the same result.
    > > Any ideas would be appreciated.

    You can repair Windows XP, use the REPAIR option and all your programs,
    files, and documents will remain unchanged. ONLY WINDOWS XP WILL BE
    REINSTALLED TO PERFECTION. I do this every 6 month just for tunning my PC.
    Remember, you are not REINSTALLING windows XP, you are REPAIREING it.

    "GarnerG" wrote:

    > I am having some serious issues with MSN Messenger on my PC
    > Iam running the following:
    > Dell Dimension 2400
    > Win XP SP2
    >

    > I have tried MSN MSGR 6.2 and 7.0 with the same results
    > Everytime I start MSN messenger the Windows Installer
    > dialog box appears with nothing in the window and the
    > system just hangs. I have to end the task several times
    > before I get the "You chose to end the nonresponsive
    > program, MSN Messenger." dialog box
    > I have uninstalled and re-installed MSN Messenger countless
    > times with the same result.
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.

    I tried the repair XP option still having the same issue. Does anyone know if
    this could be a registry conflict ??

    "Efrain" wrote:

    > You can repair Windows XP, use the REPAIR option and all your programs,
    > files, and documents will remain unchanged. ONLY WINDOWS XP WILL BE
    > REINSTALLED TO PERFECTION. I do this every 6 month just for tunning my PC.
    > Remember, you are not REINSTALLING windows XP, you are REPAIREING it.
    >
    > "GarnerG" wrote:
    >
    > > I am having some serious issues with MSN Messenger on my PC
    > > Iam running the following:
    > > Dell Dimension 2400
    > > Win XP SP2
    > >

    > > I have tried MSN MSGR 6.2 and 7.0 with the same results
    > > Everytime I start MSN messenger the Windows Installer
    > > dialog box appears with nothing in the window and the
    > > system just hangs. I have to end the task several times
    > > before I get the "You chose to end the nonresponsive
    > > program, MSN Messenger." dialog box
    > > I have uninstalled and re-installed MSN Messenger countless
    > > times with the same result.
    > > Any ideas would be appreciated.

MSN Messenger MSN Messenger Windows XP