newbie 1st computer build problem with ECS K7S5A

chunka1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
i have built one computer and it was ok but this one is not so fun. installed MB and followed manual and when its powered up i get beeb beeb then 9 more fast then a pause and then beeb space beeb no video or anything??? please help dont want to give up this easy..
ECS K7S5A MB new
256 DDR NEC brand?? new
maxtor 40 GIG HD new
L&C teck 350 WATT PS
acer cd rom
HP flopy drive

dazed and confused

cooll

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2002
this is the exact problem I got with my old k7s5a mainboard. it suddenly works after i play around with the graphic card (unplug and plug). I did get it going for two weeks then same problem come back when I updated my matrox graphic with a geforce 3. As far as i know, ECS have a reputation of unpredictable behavior. I recommend you to return the board and spent an extra $25 and get the shuttle ka31 ver 3.1. This board is much better engineer. best to get this board from newegg.com.

chunka1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
well you are right, it was the agp video card. replaced it with a old pci card and sys booted fine and is running as i type.. tryed a known good card in slot and same result.. then tryed bad card in known good sys and same result so i need a new video card.. thanks for the speedy reply and oyur tip put me on the right track.. where can i find the beeb code or error beeb meanings???

dazed and confused

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
You can find them in the user manual either the one that came with your system, or online at ECS.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

hayburner

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Chunka, before you go get a new card, try shimming the board.
Use small washers behind the board where it connects to case. I had the same problem, and the card could not properly seat till I shimmed it