A little help pls

newbieisuck

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I am trying to build a new computer and I bought a MSI K7N420 Pro nForce, with a AMD 1.4Ghz proccessor. I put it all toghether and turn the power on and the PSU turns on, but nothing loads up, the monitor doesnt act like anything has been turned on, and I pushed the reset button and it wont reset. Everything else comes on tho like the cpu fan the Power led. Do you think the processor is dead. Pls help.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
(There should be a FAQ - this sort of question is asked almost every day)

Try to remove everything that is not necessary. Then try reseating all stuff like RAM and video card, IDE and floppy cables, etc.

Then check if you're not possibly grounding the MB in the case somehow. You can try to run it out of the case

Also make sure the PS is strong enough.

Just a few things.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Well, now you've gotta find someone else that has an Athlon MB and try swapping parts until you find out what the bad one is.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
I remember having something similar with a Pentium 3 baord. I found that the board was set to auto detect the bus and the clock multipler was set wrong. If the board has jumpers to set the clock and the bus speed, try using those and try to underclock it to see if that works.

GK

My motherboard can beat up your motherboard!

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
You dont have it in a server case do you?..Mine has a master power switch in the rear,and a slave on the front panel.:)

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.

Check the cmos jumper and see how it is set. I would unplug the power supply and enable the jumper for a few seconds, then try booting up. I had to do this with my last board when changing from the athlon to xp.

newbieisuck

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I checked the processor and it's fine. I still don't have a clue what it is. I even switched the FSB to 100Mhz and reset the CMOS. Anything else to try b4 I send it back?