New City of Heroes Newsgroup

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.frp.super-heroes,alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

alt.games.coh is up!

If you are having trouble getting to the new newsgroup, contact your ISP or
newsgroup provider and request the group be added.

Art Ockey <art.ockey@notmymail.consultant.com> wrote in

> alt.games.coh is up!
>
> If you are having trouble getting to the new newsgroup, contact your
> ISP or newsgroup provider and request the group be added.

WOW I totally expected to make the usual response of "no its not, you need
to do a charter".

ftp.isc.org
-rw-rw-r-- 1 10193 9003 1933 May 23 17:00 alt.games.coh.gz

Excellent job!

Gandalf Parker
-- USENET: the largest and longest running MMORPG of all time.

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.frp.super-heroes,alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> looked up from
reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
the signs say:

>Art Ockey <art.ockey@notmymail.consultant.com> wrote in
>
>> alt.games.coh is up!
>>
>> If you are having trouble getting to the new newsgroup, contact your
>> ISP or newsgroup provider and request the group be added.
>
>WOW I totally expected to make the usual response of "no its not, you need
>to do a charter".
>
>ftp.isc.org
>-rw-rw-r-- 1 10193 9003 1933 May 23 17:00 alt.games.coh.gz
>
>Excellent job!

Oh good, that means it will actually get picked up by supernews.
Eventually.

Xocyll

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.frp.super-heroes,alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:31:54 GMT, Gandalf Parker
<gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:

>Art Ockey <art.ockey@notmymail.consultant.com> wrote in
>
>> alt.games.coh is up!
>>
>> If you are having trouble getting to the new newsgroup, contact your
>> ISP or newsgroup provider and request the group be added.
>
>WOW I totally expected to make the usual response of "no its not, you need
>to do a charter".

It's an alt group. Alt groups don't propagate well a lot of the time,
but they're about as hard to get going as setting up a website. If
that.

Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:31:54 GMT, Gandalf Parker
><gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:
>
>>Art Ockey <art.ockey@notmymail.consultant.com> wrote in
>>
>>> alt.games.coh is up!
>>>
>>> If you are having trouble getting to the new newsgroup, contact your
>>> ISP or newsgroup provider and request the group be added.
>>
>>WOW I totally expected to make the usual response of "no its not, you need
>>to do a charter".
>
>It's an alt group. Alt groups don't propagate well a lot of the time,
>but they're about as hard to get going as setting up a website. If
>that.

You have just addressed WHY so many alt groups don't propagate, they
weren't "officially" created so a lot of servers won't pick them up.

Heck with some servers the only thing you'd need to do to create a group
is crosspost a message to it.
Those are the ones that advertise how they carry a few hundred thousand
groups, and that's why they have so many - they automatically add any
group referenced that doesn't already exist.

Xocyll

"Art Ockey" <art.ockey@notmymail.consultant.com> wrote in message
> alt.games.coh is up!
>
> If you are having trouble getting to the new newsgroup, contact your ISP
or
> newsgroup provider and request the group be added.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HA! oops, sorry thats Howard Deans line.

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.frp.super-heroes,alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:58:38 -0000, Art Ockey
<art.ockey@notmymail.consultant.com> wrote:

>alt.games.coh is up!
>
>If you are having trouble getting to the new newsgroup, contact your ISP or
>newsgroup provider and request the group be added.

Wouldn't a better name have been alt.games.city-of-heroes? Every time
i see CoH i think Call of the Hero.. a mage EQ spell.

Plus.. if someone is searching for your NG they'd be more likely to
search on 'city' or 'heroes' or both. Searching for coh isn't as
likely.

-MJ

"Michael Johnson" <myaddy@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:58:38 -0000, Art Ockey
> <art.ockey@notmymail.consultant.com> wrote:
>
> >alt.games.coh is up!
> >
> >If you are having trouble getting to the new newsgroup, contact your ISP
or
> >newsgroup provider and request the group be added.
>
> Wouldn't a better name have been alt.games.city-of-heroes? Every time
> i see CoH i think Call of the Hero.. a mage EQ spell.
>
> Plus.. if someone is searching for your NG they'd be more likely to
> search on 'city' or 'heroes' or both. Searching for coh isn't as
> likely.

This is a common mistake. The newsgroup for the discussion of George R R
Martin books was entitled alt.fan.grrm, virtually ensuring obscurity.

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.frp.super-heroes,alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot,alt.games.coh (More info?)

Xocyll wrote:

> Heck with some servers the only thing you'd need to do to create a group
> is crosspost a message to it.
> Those are the ones that advertise how they carry a few hundred thousand
> groups, and that's why they have so many - they automatically add any
> group referenced that doesn't already exist.

Cool.

I doubt comcast will, but here's trying. I'll see if I can get someone
to really add it later.

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG

Julie d'Aubigny <kali.magdalene@comcast.net> wrote in

> Xocyll wrote:
>>
>> Heck with some servers the only thing you'd need to do to create a group
>> is crosspost a message to it.
>> Those are the ones that advertise how they carry a few hundred thousand
>> groups, and that's why they have so many - they automatically add any
>> group referenced that doesn't already exist.
>
> Cool.
>
> I doubt comcast will, but here's trying. I'll see if I can get someone
> to really add it later.

That wont be a problem with this particular group though. Even the most
strict of newsservers will add a group if it has a charter on file at
isc.org

Gandalf Parker

Gandalf Parker wrote:

> Julie d'Aubigny <kali.magdalene@comcast.net> wrote in
>
> > Xocyll wrote:
> >>
> >> Heck with some servers the only thing you'd need to do to create a group
> >> is crosspost a message to it.
> >> Those are the ones that advertise how they carry a few hundred thousand
> >> groups, and that's why they have so many - they automatically add any
> >> group referenced that doesn't already exist.
> >
> > Cool.
> >
> > I doubt comcast will, but here's trying. I'll see if I can get someone
> > to really add it later.
> >

> That wont be a problem with this particular group though. Even the most
> strict of newsservers will add a group if it has a charter on file at
> isc.org

Comcast seems to not be so good at such things. There are a few
newsgroups that never got added, and probably never will be.

--

"Julie d'Aubigny" <kali.magdalene@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Gandalf Parker wrote:
> >
> > Julie d'Aubigny <kali.magdalene@comcast.net> wrote in

> > > Cool.
> > >
> > > I doubt comcast will, but here's trying. I'll see if I can get someone
> > > to really add it later.
> > >

> > That wont be a problem with this particular group though. Even the most
> > strict of newsservers will add a group if it has a charter on file at
> > isc.org
>
> Comcast seems to not be so good at such things. There are a few
> newsgroups that never got added, and probably never will be.

Hmm... Where I am, Comcast outsources its usenet to Giganews, so any usenet
requests I might have go instead to the latter.

In article <e952b01ghbu50ht7anmsemre1prpe17c6u@4ax.com>,
Xocyll@kingston.net says...
> Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> looked up from
> reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
> the signs say:

{Foomph...}

> >ftp.isc.org
> >-rw-rw-r-- 1 10193 9003 1933 May 23 17:00 alt.games.coh.gz
> >
> >Excellent job!
>
> Oh good, that means it will actually get picked up by supernews.
> Eventually.

Within a week if you post to supernews.general and ask.

--
Phoenix

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Mouser <greayone@hgrown.com> wrote:

> "Michael Johnson" <myaddy@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:58:38 -0000, Art Ockey
>> <art.ockey@notmymail.consultant.com> wrote:
>>
>> >alt.games.coh is up!
>>
>> Wouldn't a better name have been alt.games.city-of-heroes?

> This is a common mistake.[...]

And one that's virtually impossible to correct once it's been made.

G.

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.frp.super-heroes,alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot,alt.games.coh (More info?)

Julie d'Aubigny <kali.magdalene@comcast.net> wrote in

>> That wont be a problem with this particular group though. Even the most
>> strict of newsservers will add a group if it has a charter on file at
>> isc.org
>
> Comcast seems to not be so good at such things. There are a few
> newsgroups that never got added, and probably never will be.

Well they can always decide to or not based on their own guidelines. And
many wont do an automatic add. But usually sending a request to support
will get it added if there is a charter for it.

Of course you have to get it PAST the support person who might not know
what newsgroups are. So I would ask to have it forwarded to the newsserver
administrator, and provide the lines I had in my previous post to show them
that isc.org has the charter file.

Gandalf Parker

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
> Art Ockey <art.ockey@notmymail.consultant.com> wrote in
>
> > alt.games.coh is up!
> >
> > If you are having trouble getting to the new newsgroup, contact your
> > ISP or newsgroup provider and request the group be added.
>
> WOW I totally expected to make the usual response of "no its not, you need
> to do a charter".
>
> ftp.isc.org
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 10193 9003 1933 May 23 17:00 alt.games.coh.gz
>
> Excellent job!
>
> Gandalf Parker
> -- USENET: the largest and longest running MMORPG of all time.

I don't see it :(
--
My avatars on the Protector server:
http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/sdp/

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:
> Art Ockey <art.ockey@notmymail.consultant.com> wrote in

> > alt.games.coh is up!
> >
> > If you are having trouble getting to the new newsgroup, contact your
> > ISP or newsgroup provider and request the group be added.

> WOW I totally expected to make the usual response of "no its not, you need
> to do a charter".

> ftp.isc.org
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 10193 9003 1933 May 23 17:00 alt.games.coh.gz

> Excellent job!

Except that since it's an alt.* group, and alt.* has been a sewer for
years now, it's not going to get anywhere near the propagation that a
comp.* group gets.

"Danny" <SDP@here.com> wrote in

> I don't see it :(

Send an email to support@rr.com asking them to add it

Gandalf Parker

Brian Trosko <btrosko@panix.com> wrote in news:c8rmhe$evn$3
@reader2.panix.com:

>> Excellent job!
>
> Except that since it's an alt.* group, and alt.* has been a sewer for
> years now, it's not going to get anywhere near the propagation that a
> comp.* group gets.

Everything has its pros and cons. Comp gets more acceptance. Often
automatically added even. But it takes more time and effort to get it
created.

Gandalf Parker

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.frp.super-heroes,alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot,alt.games.coh (More info?)

Julie d'Aubigny <kali.magdalene@comcast.net> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll wrote:
>>
>> Heck with some servers the only thing you'd need to do to create a group
>> is crosspost a message to it.
>> Those are the ones that advertise how they carry a few hundred thousand
>> groups, and that's why they have so many - they automatically add any
>> group referenced that doesn't already exist.
>
>Cool.
>
>I doubt comcast will, but here's trying. I'll see if I can get someone
>to really add it later.

So far Supernews hasn't picked it up.
That's the only downside to the arrangement my ISP uses, I can't request
Supernews adds a group since i'm not their customer, my ISP is, and I
don't think the front desk/receptionist type at the ISP even knows what
a newsgroup is.

Xocyll

Gandalf Parker wrote:

> Of course you have to get it PAST the support person who might not know
> what newsgroups are. So I would ask to have it forwarded to the newsserver
> administrator, and provide the lines I had in my previous post to show them
> that isc.org has the charter file.

We are talking about the same Comcast support people who gave someone
the password to our master account simply because that someone asked for
it, and provided no proof that he was the owner of said account.

--

Julie d'Aubigny wrote:

> We are talking about the same Comcast support people who gave someone
> the password to our master account simply because that someone asked
> for
> it, and provided no proof that he was the owner of said account.

Hell, half the people I've ever talked to the thankfully few times I've
needed to call support probably didn't even understand English. It for damn
sure took everything I could muster to understand *them*.

--
chainbreaker

In article <1kh3b09j7lbhim5eabhpvp6gdnkql4pmlo@4ax.com>,
Xocyll@kingston.net says...
> Julie d'Aubigny <kali.magdalene@comcast.net> looked up from reading the
> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
> say:
>
> >Xocyll wrote:
> >>
> >> Heck with some servers the only thing you'd need to do to create a group
> >> is crosspost a message to it.
> >> Those are the ones that advertise how they carry a few hundred thousand
> >> groups, and that's why they have so many - they automatically add any
> >> group referenced that doesn't already exist.
> >
> >Cool.
> >
> >I doubt comcast will, but here's trying. I'll see if I can get someone
> >to really add it later.
>
> So far Supernews hasn't picked it up.
> That's the only downside to the arrangement my ISP uses, I can't request
> Supernews adds a group since i'm not their customer, my ISP is, and I
> don't think the front desk/receptionist type at the ISP even knows what
> a newsgroup is.

Last time I checked, Supernews has no problems adding newsgroups
for outsource customers.

--
Phoenix

Rick Pikul <rwpikul@sympatico.ca> looked up from reading the entrails of

>In article <e952b01ghbu50ht7anmsemre1prpe17c6u@4ax.com>,
>Xocyll@kingston.net says...
>> Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> looked up from
>> reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
>> the signs say:
>
> {Foomph...}
>
>> >ftp.isc.org
>> >-rw-rw-r-- 1 10193 9003 1933 May 23 17:00 alt.games.coh.gz
>> >
>> >Excellent job!
>>
>> Oh good, that means it will actually get picked up by supernews.
>> Eventually.
>
> Within a week if you post to supernews.general and ask.

Sounds like a plan.

Xocyll

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,rec.games.frp.super-heroes,alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot,alt.games.coh (More info?)

Rick Pikul <rwpikul@sympatico.ca> looked up from reading the entrails of

>In article <1kh3b09j7lbhim5eabhpvp6gdnkql4pmlo@4ax.com>,
>Xocyll@kingston.net says...
>> Julie d'Aubigny <kali.magdalene@comcast.net> looked up from reading the
>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>> say:

>> >Cool.
>> >
>> >I doubt comcast will, but here's trying. I'll see if I can get someone
>> >to really add it later.
>>
>> So far Supernews hasn't picked it up.
>> That's the only downside to the arrangement my ISP uses, I can't request
>> Supernews adds a group since i'm not their customer, my ISP is, and I
>> don't think the front desk/receptionist type at the ISP even knows what
>> a newsgroup is.
>
> Last time I checked, Supernews has no problems adding newsgroups
>for outsource customers.

I sent them e-mail once and was told I was not permitted to do so and
all requests had to go through the ISP.

I'd made a request through the ISP about 3 weeks before I tried the
direct route.

Xocyll

Latest posts