How do I configure WPA, 802.11x security with AP D-link DW..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b 8 Security
July 12, 2004 12:36:19 AM

Hello,

I have a minor problem with my access point. I am going to set up 802.11x
security, but I don't know how. I am stopped when I have to fill out the
input field "Radius Server:" !!! I can't figure it out. I also have to write
an IP address. What should it be?? Where do I find it?? I don't have a fixed
IP address on my ADSL connection.

My network consists of a D-link DWL-2000AP+ access point and a D-link
DWL-G650+ wireless network card. The network works fine with WEP 128-bit
encryption, but I would like to use WPA because it is more secure. Anybody
out there who can tell me how to set up access point and portable computer
with Windows XP?

Thanking you in anticipation,

Benny
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 12, 2004 12:36:20 AM

802.1x authentication requires the use of a radius server on your network that has a
computer certificate installed. Most home users would not have something like that.
Windows 2000/2003 server can act as a radius server using IAS which is used to
authenticated users through a remote access policy. You should have the option to use
a "passphrase" for preshared key WPA on networks without a radius server. Just use a
strong passphrase and write it down and keep it in a safe place [not in your laptop
case] and you will be fine. -- Steve

"Benny Jensen" <benny333@tiscali.fjerndetteord.dk> wrote in message
news:p MfIc.24732$Vf.1239712@news000.worldonline.dk...
> Hello,
>
> I have a minor problem with my access point. I am going to set up 802.11x
> security, but I don't know how. I am stopped when I have to fill out the
> input field "Radius Server:" !!! I can't figure it out. I also have to write
> an IP address. What should it be?? Where do I find it?? I don't have a fixed
> IP address on my ADSL connection.
>
> My network consists of a D-link DWL-2000AP+ access point and a D-link
> DWL-G650+ wireless network card. The network works fine with WEP 128-bit
> encryption, but I would like to use WPA because it is more secure. Anybody
> out there who can tell me how to set up access point and portable computer
> with Windows XP?
>
> Thanking you in anticipation,
>
> Benny

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 12, 2004 12:36:20 AM

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:36:19 +0100, Benny Jensen spoketh

>Hello,
>
>I have a minor problem with my access point. I am going to set up 802.11x
>security, but I don't know how. I am stopped when I have to fill out the
>input field "Radius Server:" !!! I can't figure it out. I also have to write
>an IP address. What should it be?? Where do I find it?? I don't have a fixed
>IP address on my ADSL connection.
>
>My network consists of a D-link DWL-2000AP+ access point and a D-link
>DWL-G650+ wireless network card. The network works fine with WEP 128-bit
>encryption, but I would like to use WPA because it is more secure. Anybody
>out there who can tell me how to set up access point and portable computer
>with Windows XP?
>
>Thanking you in anticipation,
>
>Benny

There should be at least two options for WPA, one "WPA-PSK" and one
"WAP-Radius". You should pick the any one that doesn't include "radius".

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net