K7S5A and Promise RAID card

G

I am running an ECS K7S5A motherboard with an Athlon XP 1600, 512 MB DDR RAM, Quantum AS 60 HD, and a GeForce 2.

I am having trouble with my Promise RAID card. I know that this card is functional since it works in 2 other systems. It is detected as existing on the motherboard, but WinXP says its not functioning properly (duh). On boot up I am supposed to see the RAID card attempt to find any RAID arrays connected to the card, except that it doesn't do it with the K7S5A. I have fiddled with the (mobo) BIOS to the point of exhaustion and I have tried all the other PCI slots.

Is there anything I can do to get the RAID card's BIOS to appear/run?

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I have the same Controller with Windows XP and Had the same problems. First, you want to have the OS on a non-controller HD, I would suggest getting a 20-30 GB 7200 RPM Maxtor Drive. Once you have the OS installed, you will need to get the drivers from the disk that came with your IDE controller and then load them. I found that the card prefers to use the #1 slot first (This is the one closer to the back of the case) Once you have all the right drivers installed you should see the Controller searching for HD before the Windows XP screen goes on, and you will also have to setup the HD in compmgmt.msc in order for windows XP to see it (If it has not been reformated)
Hope this bit of advice helped you out.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

I have the OS installed on a non-controller Quantum 60 GB 7200 rpm drive. I installed the drivers that came with the disk and the only ones that are stable are the Win2K miniport drivers.

The problem is that it doesn't search for the HD's before WinXP starts. Plus I can't set up the array if it doesn't search.

The boot sequence goes as such: the BIOS posts, searches for bootable drives, and WinXP launches.

I can't get it to search for the HD's. Arggg!!!!

Thank you for the suggestion, too bad it didn't work.