Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Some more basic notebook/wireless queries

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2005 1:04:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

OK... I see by the Dell site that my laptop has shipped and will be here
tomorrow. That's pretty good since I ordered it 1 week ago (sorry about
that, Tom).

I current have a Dell Dim 2400 in the basement. My intent is to use the
notebook upstairs utilizing my broadband connection to my downstairs
desktop. I've already installed the linksys router (WRT54G) and I'm hoping
the signal will reach my notebook one floor above.

My bunch of VERY BASIC questions are:

1) I assume I can password protect my laptop (very minimal protection in
case of theft, I know). Is that done via the BIOS set-up?

2) Is there a way that I can access the DATA on my Desktop's C drive via my
laptop's wireless connection? Can I access that data and then do stuff and
save the new file directly on to my desktop's C drive? If so, how does the
laptop distinguish between its own C drive and the desktop's C drive.

3) Since I have my router set up, is there any special set-up for my laptop?
In other words, how will it recognize the signal? Do I have to give it a
command or will it just pop up. Incidentally, I've done the encryption
(WEP???) with a 10-digit "password" and I gave it a wireless name. So, will
I need to type in this password when the laptop recognizes the wireless
signal. If so, can the laptop "memorize" the password after the first time?

That's it for starters. I know this must be a lot of very basic, but I've
never owned a laptop or done anything wireless. This newsgroup has been a
great source of information!

Mel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2005 7:19:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Responses below...

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:04:31 -0400, "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

>OK... I see by the Dell site that my laptop has shipped and will be here
>tomorrow. That's pretty good since I ordered it 1 week ago (sorry about
>that, Tom).
>
>I current have a Dell Dim 2400 in the basement. My intent is to use the
>notebook upstairs utilizing my broadband connection to my downstairs
>desktop. I've already installed the linksys router (WRT54G) and I'm hoping
>the signal will reach my notebook one floor above.
>
>My bunch of VERY BASIC questions are:
>
>1) I assume I can password protect my laptop (very minimal protection in
>case of theft, I know). Is that done via the BIOS set-up?

Yes, you can password protect the laptop via the BIOS setup. The risk is if you
forget the password, so write it down on a piece of paper and put the paper in a
safe deposit box.
>
>2) Is there a way that I can access the DATA on my Desktop's C drive via my
>laptop's wireless connection? Can I access that data and then do stuff and
>save the new file directly on to my desktop's C drive? If so, how does the
>laptop distinguish between its own C drive and the desktop's C drive.

Enable file sharing on the desktop computer and make sure both computers are in
the same workgroup.
>
>3) Since I have my router set up, is there any special set-up for my laptop?
>In other words, how will it recognize the signal? Do I have to give it a
>command or will it just pop up. Incidentally, I've done the encryption
>(WEP???) with a 10-digit "password" and I gave it a wireless name. So, will
>I need to type in this password when the laptop recognizes the wireless
>signal. If so, can the laptop "memorize" the password after the first time?

I recommend changing the router's wifi access point name (SSID) from its default
of linksys. Give it a name that makes sense to you. This eliminates the
confusion that may arise if a neighbor also has a wifi access point named
linksys.

May I suggest temporarily connecting your laptop to the router with Cat 5
Ethernet cable? Then go into the router setup, ask the router to generate the
encryption key, copy it (Ctrl-C), paste it into a simple notepad txt file and
save it. Next, detach the notebook's Ethernet cable, and allow the notebook to
hunt for a wifi access point. When it finds your access point, it will ask you
for the encryption key, so paste the key into the dialog box. You need only to
do this the first time, after which Windows XP remembers the key for subsequent
access. The aforementioned procedure is a helluva lot better than manually
writing down the encryption key, then fingering it into the dialog box.

One of the major advantages of Windows XP is the advance on ease of use for
wireless access compared to previous versions of Windows... Ben Myers

>
>That's it for starters. I know this must be a lot of very basic, but I've
>never owned a laptop or done anything wireless. This newsgroup has been a
>great source of information!
>
>Mel
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 9, 2005 12:04:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Ben Myers wrote:
> Responses below...
>
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:04:31 -0400, "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:
>
>>2) Is there a way that I can access the DATA on my Desktop's C drive via my
>>laptop's wireless connection? Can I access that data and then do stuff and
>>save the new file directly on to my desktop's C drive? If so, how does the
>>laptop distinguish between its own C drive and the desktop's C drive.
>
>
> Enable file sharing on the desktop computer and make sure both computers are in
> the same workgroup.
>
Also be sure to open the appropriate ports in your firewall. If the
computers are running XP SP2, go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
-> Windows Firewall, now look under the Exceptions tab and make sure
File & Print Sharing is checked (if it's not present, post again and
I'll list the specific ports to open manually).
Related resources
September 9, 2005 4:29:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 15:19:57 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>Responses below...
>
>On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:04:31 -0400, "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:
>
>>OK... I see by the Dell site that my laptop has shipped and will be here
>>tomorrow. That's pretty good since I ordered it 1 week ago (sorry about
>>that, Tom).
>>
>>I current have a Dell Dim 2400 in the basement. My intent is to use the
>>notebook upstairs utilizing my broadband connection to my downstairs
>>desktop. I've already installed the linksys router (WRT54G) and I'm hoping
>>the signal will reach my notebook one floor above.
>>
>>My bunch of VERY BASIC questions are:
>>
>>1) I assume I can password protect my laptop (very minimal protection in
>>case of theft, I know). Is that done via the BIOS set-up?
>
>Yes, you can password protect the laptop via the BIOS setup. The risk is if you
>forget the password, so write it down on a piece of paper and put the paper in a
>safe deposit box.
>>
>>2) Is there a way that I can access the DATA on my Desktop's C drive via my
>>laptop's wireless connection? Can I access that data and then do stuff and
>>save the new file directly on to my desktop's C drive? If so, how does the
>>laptop distinguish between its own C drive and the desktop's C drive.
>
>Enable file sharing on the desktop computer and make sure both computers are in
>the same workgroup.
>>
>>3) Since I have my router set up, is there any special set-up for my laptop?
>>In other words, how will it recognize the signal? Do I have to give it a
>>command or will it just pop up. Incidentally, I've done the encryption
>>(WEP???) with a 10-digit "password" and I gave it a wireless name. So, will
>>I need to type in this password when the laptop recognizes the wireless
>>signal. If so, can the laptop "memorize" the password after the first time?
>
>I recommend changing the router's wifi access point name (SSID) from its default
>of linksys. Give it a name that makes sense to you. This eliminates the
>confusion that may arise if a neighbor also has a wifi access point named
>linksys.
>
>May I suggest temporarily connecting your laptop to the router with Cat 5
>Ethernet cable? Then go into the router setup, ask the router to generate the
>encryption key, copy it (Ctrl-C), paste it into a simple notepad txt file and
>save it. Next, detach the notebook's Ethernet cable, and allow the notebook to
>hunt for a wifi access point. When it finds your access point, it will ask you
>for the encryption key, so paste the key into the dialog box. You need only to
>do this the first time, after which Windows XP remembers the key for subsequent
>access. The aforementioned procedure is a helluva lot better than manually
>writing down the encryption key, then fingering it into the dialog box.
>

This last thing may not be advantageous tho it won't do any major
harm. I'm thinking it may be a pain if you add more laptops later to
the network and may degrade network performance a bit. But in general
it's good advice for most.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 9, 2005 5:01:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>2) Is there a way that I can access the DATA on my Desktop's C drive via my
>laptop's wireless connection? Can I access that data and then do stuff and
>save the new file directly on to my desktop's C drive? If so, how does the
>laptop distinguish between its own C drive and the desktop's C drive.

You have two options. You can share the desktop C drive via Windows
networking. Or (this is what I recommend) use VNC to actually *use*
your desktop from your laptop. VNC lets you sit in front of one
computer, but use another. Very useful.

>3) Since I have my router set up, is there any special set-up for my laptop?
>In other words, how will it recognize the signal? Do I have to give it a
>command or will it just pop up. Incidentally, I've done the encryption
>(WEP???) with a 10-digit "password" and I gave it a wireless name. So, will
>I need to type in this password when the laptop recognizes the wireless
>signal. If so, can the laptop "memorize" the password after the first time?

You're probably referring to a passphrase, which is used to create a
longer encryption key. Unfortunately, Windows no longer supports
passphrases for WEP. So what you will have to do is set up both your
router and your laptop with the same hexidecimal encryption key. It's
a pain. But it does make it a bit harder for your neighbors to use
your network.

-Joel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 10, 2005 4:26:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Dr. Joel:

VNC sounds intriguing.
On the one hand, it's exactly what I want.

But, for example, when I look at Logmein.com, it seems that I would access
my desktop via an internet connection.

I kind of worry about the security of all that.

Is that how you do it?

Mel


"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
news:rIfUe.1198$lR2.998@fe11.lga...
> >2) Is there a way that I can access the DATA on my Desktop's C drive via
> >my
>>laptop's wireless connection? Can I access that data and then do stuff and
>>save the new file directly on to my desktop's C drive? If so, how does the
>>laptop distinguish between its own C drive and the desktop's C drive.
>
> You have two options. You can share the desktop C drive via Windows
> networking. Or (this is what I recommend) use VNC to actually *use*
> your desktop from your laptop. VNC lets you sit in front of one
> computer, but use another. Very useful.
>
>>3) Since I have my router set up, is there any special set-up for my
>>laptop?
>>In other words, how will it recognize the signal? Do I have to give it a
>>command or will it just pop up. Incidentally, I've done the encryption
>>(WEP???) with a 10-digit "password" and I gave it a wireless name. So,
>>will
>>I need to type in this password when the laptop recognizes the wireless
>>signal. If so, can the laptop "memorize" the password after the first
>>time?
>
> You're probably referring to a passphrase, which is used to create a
> longer encryption key. Unfortunately, Windows no longer supports
> passphrases for WEP. So what you will have to do is set up both your
> router and your laptop with the same hexidecimal encryption key. It's
> a pain. But it does make it a bit harder for your neighbors to use
> your network.
>
> -Joel
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 10, 2005 8:59:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Mel,
I use RealVNC with my PC's (Dell w/XP Home & PBell w/W98 1st Ed) and my wife's laptop (w/XP Home). To gain Remote access from one PC to another, you need to know the password for the computer you are accessing. You cannot have a blank password. So if you follow a good password protection regime, of changing it on a regular basis, then you should have no problem.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>
<<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>


"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message news:5gtUe.33850$1g2.11993@fe05.lga...
Dr. Joel:

VNC sounds intriguing.
On the one hand, it's exactly what I want.

But, for example, when I look at Logmein.com, it seems that I would access
my desktop via an internet connection.

I kind of worry about the security of all that.

Is that how you do it?

Mel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 11, 2005 4:04:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

MB_ wrote:
> Dr. Joel:
>
> VNC sounds intriguing.
> On the one hand, it's exactly what I want.
>
> But, for example, when I look at Logmein.com, it seems that I would access
> my desktop via an internet connection.
>
> I kind of worry about the security of all that.
>
> Is that how you do it?
>
> Mel
>
Personally, I tend to only use VNC over a local network because of
security issues (not to mention the bandwith required). In addition to
needing port 5900 open, keep in mind that VNC data (with the exception
of the initial login) is sent in the clear (so anyone using a packet
sniffer can see what you're seeing). If you're going to use VNC over
the internet, consider wrapping it in a SSH tunnel (Cygwin offers a port
of OpenSSH which is perfect for this and can run in the background).
That way only port 22 would need to be open (and SSH is a much, much
more secure protocol).
!