Wireless connection stopped working

My wireless connection on Dell Laptop stopped working after about six
months.
It looks like newtwork itself is fine, laptop can "see" the wireless
network, signal strength
is excellent. However the number of TCP/IP packets received is 0 and it
fails to ping any other
computer on the network.

It is likely not a router,another desktop perfectly works with it wireless
and laptop works
when connected via cable. What could it be?

Laptop -Dell, card-Dell TrueMobile, OS-XP Pro 2002

Thanks
Vadim
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless connection stopped working

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:05:17 GMT, "vp" <vadimp@iname.com> wrote:

    >My wireless connection on Dell Laptop stopped working after about six
    >months.
    >
    >It looks like newtwork itself is fine, laptop can "see" the wireless
    >network, signal strength
    >is excellent. However the number of TCP/IP packets received is 0 and it
    >fails to ping any other
    >computer on the network.

    That's the symptoms of a wrong or missing WEP or WAP key. You'll have
    good signal strength, can associate, but nothing moves data.
    Microsloth as WPA and wireless updates, which I suspect is the
    culprit.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B815485
    Your laptop probably has an Intel Pro 2100 chip which has its own
    collection of problems:

    http://www.intel.com/support/network/wireless/pro2100/sb/cs-006131-prd944.htm
    There are also a few access points (i.e. Netgear MR814) which had
    "issues" with Intel Centrino compatibility and required a firmware
    update to fix and issue stupid press releases like this:
    http://presslink.dlink.com/pr/?prid=151

    >It is likely not a router,another desktop perfectly works with it wireless
    >and laptop works
    >when connected via cable. What could it be?

    Bad assumption. The Centrino compatibility issue can cause your
    laptop to fail, while others continue to work.

    Also, I've had spyware trash the internet connection when I tried to
    remove the junk. Most often, it trashes all conenctivity (wireless,
    ethernet, dialup) but sometimes only mangles one of these. I've found
    that:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
    seems to fix such problems. It probably won't do anything for this
    problem, but can't hurt to try it.

    >Laptop -Dell, card-Dell TrueMobile, OS-XP Pro 2002
    >
    >Thanks
    >Vadim

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    "vp" <vadimp@iname.com> wrote in message
    > My wireless connection on Dell Laptop stopped working after about six
    > months.
    > It looks like newtwork itself is fine, laptop can "see" the wireless
    > network, signal strength
    > is excellent. However the number of TCP/IP packets received is 0 and it
    > fails to ping any other
    > computer on the network.
    >
    > It is likely not a router,another desktop perfectly works with it wireless
    > and laptop works
    > when connected via cable. What could it be?
    >
    > Laptop -Dell, card-Dell TrueMobile, OS-XP Pro 2002
    >
    > Thanks
    > Vadim

    Try re-entering the WEP keys on the laptop.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Wireless Laptops Connection Dell Wireless Networking