Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2004 11:05:17 PM

My wireless connection on Dell Laptop stopped working after about six
months.
It looks like newtwork itself is fine, laptop can "see" the wireless
network, signal strength
is excellent. However the number of TCP/IP packets received is 0 and it
fails to ping any other
computer on the network.

It is likely not a router,another desktop perfectly works with it wireless
and laptop works
when connected via cable. What could it be?

Laptop -Dell, card-Dell TrueMobile, OS-XP Pro 2002

Thanks
Vadim

More about : wireless connection stopped working

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2004 3:27:29 AM

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:05:17 GMT, "vp" <vadimp@iname.com> wrote:

>My wireless connection on Dell Laptop stopped working after about six
>months.
>
>It looks like newtwork itself is fine, laptop can "see" the wireless
>network, signal strength
>is excellent. However the number of TCP/IP packets received is 0 and it
>fails to ping any other
>computer on the network.

That's the symptoms of a wrong or missing WEP or WAP key. You'll have
good signal strength, can associate, but nothing moves data.
Microsloth as WPA and wireless updates, which I suspect is the
culprit.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-...
Your laptop probably has an Intel Pro 2100 chip which has its own
collection of problems:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/wireless/pro2100/s...
There are also a few access points (i.e. Netgear MR814) which had
"issues" with Intel Centrino compatibility and required a firmware
update to fix and issue stupid press releases like this:
http://presslink.dlink.com/pr/?prid=151

>It is likely not a router,another desktop perfectly works with it wireless
>and laptop works
>when connected via cable. What could it be?

Bad assumption. The Centrino compatibility issue can cause your
laptop to fail, while others continue to work.

Also, I've had spyware trash the internet connection when I tried to
remove the junk. Most often, it trashes all conenctivity (wireless,
ethernet, dialup) but sometimes only mangles one of these. I've found
that:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
seems to fix such problems. It probably won't do anything for this
problem, but can't hurt to try it.

>Laptop -Dell, card-Dell TrueMobile, OS-XP Pro 2002
>
>Thanks
>Vadim

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2004 6:51:47 AM

"vp" <vadimp@iname.com> wrote in message
> My wireless connection on Dell Laptop stopped working after about six
> months.
> It looks like newtwork itself is fine, laptop can "see" the wireless
> network, signal strength
> is excellent. However the number of TCP/IP packets received is 0 and it
> fails to ping any other
> computer on the network.
>
> It is likely not a router,another desktop perfectly works with it wireless
> and laptop works
> when connected via cable. What could it be?
>
> Laptop -Dell, card-Dell TrueMobile, OS-XP Pro 2002
>
> Thanks
> Vadim

Try re-entering the WEP keys on the laptop.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
!